Monga National Park

BayleyBayley Junior Member
edited February 2017 in ACT
Hi guys,

Although not in the ACT, Managed to get the ROK dirty in the rain over the weekend while down the coast. Monga National Park and the Buckenbowra wilderness area was a great place for a 2 hr drive while the Bub had a sleep.

Unfortunately had to do a bit of a backtrack and couldn't complete our intended loop due to the minister for war and finance not wanting to cross the river at the bottom of the Corn Trail. It was pissing down with rain and the crossing on No Name Mountain Fire Trail does go for approx 100m up the river bed before coming out the other side. I also didn't feel like walking for help if we got stuck!

This place had some great views and none of the drive was difficult.

I'd be. Keen on going back to the area for a full day trip and explore more of the trails.

Anyone else been through this area?
a75b811a216908f53ca8d13ca1baa778.jpgb20ce352c7da8b97d8d4487c0328573a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• brookes2622brookes2622 Supporting Member
    edited February 2017
    My place abutts Monga on two sides so that is in fact my back yard. Although, you can't get to my place from where you were because they have gated the only two trails and thrown in some wilderness, the bastards. Couple of interesting hills inside those gates including the infamous "Turtle". Lot's of creek crossing and nice loamy trails in that part of the world.

I have heard you may be able to get around the gates on a motorbike, but that's just a rumour I can't say I have ever done it.

I know the crossing you are talking about where you sort of cross diagonally and can't really see the other side and it's a little shorter than 100m but it's pretty shallow with pretty good traction. Nice on the bike on a hot day.

That Oulla Creek trail is really nice.
  • BayleyBayley Junior Member
    edited February 2017
    My place abutts Monga on two sides so that is in fact my back yard. Although, you can't get to my place from where you were because they have gated the only two trails and thrown in some wilderness, the bastards. Couple of interesting hills inside those gates including the infamous "Turtle". Lot's of creek crossing and nice loamy trails in that part of the world.

I have heard you may be able to get around the gates on a motorbike, but that's just a rumour I can't say I have ever done it.

I know the crossing you are talking about where you sort of cross diagonally and can't really see the other side and it's a little shorter than 100m but it's pretty shallow with pretty good traction. Nice on the bike on a hot day.

That Oulla Creek trail is really nice.

Great!

Yeah I didn't get out of the ute in the rain, for that crossing, the boss was just like nup not going there lol!

I have been wanting to know about the turtle trail that's the one off boundary FT? And if it's open?

Also Fire Break Fire Trail if it's accessible?

I've here's about a waterfall in there too, would like to know where that is!

Cheers 0e3c44f1d02082c6c00277be4485d81f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • brookes2622brookes2622 Supporting Member
    edited February 2017
    I tend not to look at the scenery too much as it's wizzing by as I'm too busy hanging on for grim death.

Turtle is gated at both top and bottom. I can't quite tell from your maps but if you came off the main trail down a hill to a nice camping clearing by the river and you saw a trail on the other side of the river (not very wide maybe 6-8m) then maybe you were at the base of Turtle. The gate is on the other side a little ways along the trail, not very far. You wouldn't make it even if the gate was open. I heard a rumour, because it's wilderness and you can't ride there, that they have put great earth mounds all along the trail and it's very overgrown. Was once a challenging and fun trail but now is ruined by the ****wits in the wilderness society and their smoke burning Datsun 120y's who don't even know where Monga is! rant rant rant rant dickheads rant rant rant