Lower Border Track Trip Report 23rd-25th April 2016

TPSSATPSSA Senior Member
edited May 2016 in SA
Hi All,

Just a quick report on the UACSA Lower Border Track trip on 23rd-25th April.

We met in the main street of Crafers at 8am on Saturday morning, to be greeted by Daniel [MENTION=4823]sunjizzle[/MENTION], Rhett [MENTION=4406]Volkarok[/MENTION], Shaun [MENTION=3026]Slickrok[/MENTION], Ian in the Maverick and Jake in the GU Patrol. It was a quick hello and we were off onto the freeway, cause it was freezing!

First stop was Tailem Bend to fuel up for some, then onto Tintinara for our last fuel stop before entering Mt Rescue National Park just outside of Tintinara. We aired down, and wound our way through the tracks until we made it to My Rescue look out for a quick lunch stop. So far the tracks were dry, dusty and a little bit scratchy, but nothing too challenging. The run through the park to the Bordertown-Pinnaroo road was more of the same, dry dusty tracks that zigged and zagged its way through, however some large bog holes from 2015 had been filled in much to my disappointment.
IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2864.jpg

We hit the Bordertown-Pinnaroo bitumen road and headed north 7km to the turn off into Ngarkat National Park on Shaugh Track. A quick coffee break before the track's that would head east all the way to the border and ultimately The Border Track! Again, this was pretty uneventful for most of us, just having to keep an eye out for roots that stuck out into the track. One particular root managed to spear itself up into the undercarriage of my Rok wedging between the fuel tank and the floor pan. Luckily it missed anything vital and after a bit of work it was removed. Once onto the Border Track, we headed south to the Red Bluff Camp Ground for our first overnight stop.

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

The next morning we wanted a head start on the rest of the campers at Red Bluff so we were up nice and early, out of camp by 9am and onto the Border Track to tackle our first real obstacle, the sand dune called "The Play Ground". Basically its a bloody big dune with 5 options to choose, ranging from hardest on the left to the chicken track on the right. Needless to say we all chose the left track :) I made it up and over with the "Deep Digger" mud terrains at 18psi. Next was Shaun in the 110 Defender, just getting stuck at the top needing a max trax to get him that last 1m! Daniel gave it a good go, but was caught short by 1m needing the max trax to get him up and over that last bit. Ian was the same, and Jake needed a little help as well. The there was Rhett...... he seemed determined to hit the dune at a crawling pace demonstrating that you don't need speed to make it up and over. As he sailed up and over with little effort, I don't mind saying I was impressed. Nice work mate.

The track changed from open country to more Mallee scrub with brush bush's crowding the track. This is where the big bog holes started to appear, the first one was a REAL car swallower.... I oted to go around and give it a miss, but this was just the challenge that Shaun in the 110 Defender was looking for. He plunged into the mud with great confidence, only to get stuck spinning all 4 wheels.
IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

The bog holes started coming thick and fast, albeit they weren't full of water like you'd expect in winter, but the mud was still there. Almost all of us had a shot at one of the bog holes, getting through or getting stuck. It was all good fun!

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

We stopped in at Bordertown for lunch, and a civilized toilet stop for the girls. Then it was onto Little Dessert National Park for more tracks, bog holes and exploring.

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2949.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

Saturday nights camp in Little Dessert was great, we used Ian's drag chain to source some massive logs for the fire, we all set up our various camp set ups and settled in for the night. It was cold so the big fire was appreciated. Tales of big bog holes, 33" v 31" and solid axle v IFS was the banter around the fire. It was then that Rhett pointed out that my car was strangely clean compared to the others.... due to my avoiding some of the biggest mud holes, and that's where my new nick name was born "Cleany Mc Clean Face" I wasn't bothered, I was more concerned about my mud flaps that were now covered in dust where 2 days ago they were freshly cleaned and silicone sprayed!

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

Sunday morning and we slowly entered the day with coffee, breakfast and the smoldering remanence of last nights fire. We all packed up, and set off to explore Little Dessert National Park, in particular Mt Moffatt Track. This track was a cracker, we managed to fine quite a few muddy sections that tested us all.

IMG_3000.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

Well by now we were all ready to air up and head for home. We exited the National Park and lobbed into Frances to have a bite to eat and a beer at the pub. Rhett and Jake had a few flat tyres issues to deal with, but all in all it was little damage considering the country we had just covered.
What a great trip, and what great people to share it with. Thanks guys and girls, looking forward to the next UACSA trip soon!!

Cheers Tim.

Comments

• MarkVMarkV Supporting Member
    edited May 2016
    [MENTION=2896]TPSSA[/MENTION] Great photos Tim. Well put together :D
  • WingnutR32WingnutR32 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    That was a good read with good photos, well done to all involved.
  • fishofisho Forum Addict
    edited May 2016
    Thanks Tim.
    ALL the photos show the defender and patrol being winched out and only one with a rope tied to a Rok. Is that because the Rok is so good or because you guys didn't give it a go (cleany mcclean face) :D
    Great pics.
  • TPSSATPSSA Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    fisho wrote: »
    Thanks Tim.
    ALL the photos show the defender and patrol being winched out and only one with a rope tied to a Rok. Is that because the Rok is so good or because you guys didn't give it a go (cleany mcclean face) :D
    Great pics.

Ha Ha, well yes and no...... I must say that Shaun in the Defender gave EVERYTHING a go, some he got stuck and some he made it. I chose to give the big mud holes a miss as I've done the Border track a few times before and knew there was some good stuff coming in Little Dessert National park (plus I don't like the clean up very much!)
    The true secret to all the cars getting through was tires and a little bit of lift. The only reason the Defender and Patrol got stuck was clearance from the diff's. Bigger wheels/tires would fix this. An interesting point bought up by [MENTION=4406]Volkarok[/MENTION] was the "toboggan-ability" of the Amarok compared to the Maverick/Patrol/Defender. Our Amaroks had a bit of lift and 32" or 33" which made all the difference, but the solid axle cars seemed to get stuck on the pumpkins a bit...... Interesting?

Anyway, at the end f the day it was a good trip and we all had a ball playing in the mud!

Cleany Mc Clean Face out :)
  • SAROKSAROK Posting Freak
    edited May 2016
    Hey Tim, thanks for taking the time to write up this cool trip report. Makes interesting reading from my hospital bed! Hope to join you guys soon out on the tracks, Cody is keen to catch up with Riley again, cheers Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • MarkVMarkV Supporting Member
    edited May 2016
    SAROK wrote: »
    Hey Tim, thanks for taking the time to write up this cool trip report. Makes interesting reading from my hospital bed! Hope to join you guys soon out on the tracks, Cody is keen to catch up with Riley again, cheers Dave

Hope you are OK Dave, and whatever it is, get over it quick. All the best!
  • SAROKSAROK Posting Freak
    edited May 2016
    Thanks [MENTION=2839]MarkV[/MENTION] had a bit of a rough trot last couple of years but we push on!

• TPSSATPSSA Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    SAROK wrote: »

Hi Dave, sorry to hear your in hospital mate. I hope you get better soon, so we can all catch up again and get our cars dirty (cause I know we both love cleaning our Rok's almost as much as driving them)
    I reckon the boys would hit it off on a 2-3 day trip somewhere.
    All the best mate.
    Cheers, Tim.