North Simpson Desert

TjilpiTjilpi Senior Member
edited August 2016 in NT
This month I did a trip in the North Simpson Desert. Started at Mac Clarke Conservation Reserve and travelled via Geosurvey Hill, Geographical Centre to the French Line and on to Birdsville via Big Red. The Rok made it up Big Red first try. Used 139 litres of fuel in a 1,050 km trip which I think shows the excellent economy of the Rok.

Outside the Birdsville Bakery is parked a blue 1963 VW beetle which crossed the simpson in 2012. The trip is the subject of a childrens book "Onslo"
On top of the tower at the Geographical Centre of the Simpson is VW hub caps.

See the attached photos

Comments

• UberRokUberRok Supporting Member
    edited July 2016
    That sounds and looks like a fabulous journey. Well done. Where next?

Cheers,
  • houdinihoudini Supporting Member
    edited July 2016
    Nice. Is that an MCC rear bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • TjilpiTjilpi Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    Next trip planned is the Canning Stock Route in July 2017.
    edited July 2016
    John

It is the Kaymar bar. Cost a bit more but they have a good reputation so I decided on that bar. The big mistake I made is getting ARB Darwin to fit it. They stuffed up the wiring and I had to take it back twice for them to correct it. No apology for me having to travel the 300+ kms to Darwin to have it fixed. They wanted me to pay for them to fix their stuff up. Needless to say I will not deal with ARB Darwin again. I will also take every opportunity to voice my dissatisfaction with them on every forum I can when I get the opportunity to warn others.
  • houdinihoudini Supporting Member
    edited July 2016
    That's the bar I want too. Happy with it?

edited August 2016
    houdini wrote: »
    That's the bar I want too. Happy with it?

John

I am happy with it. One thing I am conscious is the extra weight on the rear. I empty the jerry cans ASAP to lessen the weight when travelling.
    edited August 2016
    There is now a video on you tube of the North Simpson trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97bSDgtmjYc