Help with leaking fuel lines near the fuel filter

Rob70Rob70 Member
edited November 2016 in Fuel and Oil
Hi,
Just recently I had noticed a leak at the fuel line connections in the vicinity of the fuel filter assembly.
Thought I'd head to the Parts division of my local VW dealer to look into replacing or even just finding out what's going on in that area
and why I have a leak already(40,000klm). Store person tells me that in order to have that rectified, you will need to purchase the entire harness
(around $1000 Geez). The store person then hinted to go across and chat with the service department because they have changed out a few of these in the past. Hmmmm.
Kindly enough and out of warranty the service department booked it in and it was found that there was some dirt around the connection that needed cleaning in which they did and sent me on my way.
Anyway, yesterday I have discovered that the leak is back and is worse.

I have searched the threads to see if anyone else has experienced this problem without any joy.
Has anyone had this issue and could they advise whether this $1000 fuel pressure/return line purchase should fail after 40,000klm?
Thank you in advance

20160717_111648-1024x768_zpsry5lzbld.jpg......

Comments

• suhua4suhua4 Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    Not sure if it's been pressurised at that stage (been pumped), if not too much pressure use some silicone tape should solve the problem. If it's at the connector the doggy but effective way is to wrap around the connector with a thicker layer of polyurethane, once the polyurethane dries then wrap around with silicone tape it will form a strong and sealed mould.

Just my doggy way that fixed the cracked fuel neck breather connector and works.......

Or try get one from the wrecker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • muddymickomuddymicko Junior Member
    edited July 2016
    Rob70 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just recently I had noticed a leak at the fuel line connections in the vicinity of the fuel filter assembly.
    Thought I'd head to the Parts division of my local VW dealer to look into replacing or even just finding out what's going on in that area
    and why I have a leak already(40,000klm). Store person tells me that in order to have that rectified, you will need to purchase the entire harness
    (around $1000 Geez). The store person then hinted to go across and chat with the service department because they have changed out a few of these in the past. Hmmmm.
    Kindly enough and out of warranty the service department booked it in and it was found that there was some dirt around the connection that needed cleaning in which they did and sent me on my way.

I have searched the threads to see if anyone else has experienced this problem without any joy.
    Has anyone had this issue and could they advise whether this $1000 fuel pressure/return line purchase should fail after 40,000klm?
    Thank you in advance

I have just had this on mine 45000km it was a hairline crack in the hose clamp (spring type), replaced them with worm type hose clamps

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
  • Rawlings44Rawlings44 Junior Member
    edited August 2016
    Hey mate mines doing the same what are these worm type you replaced it with?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
  • SU55SU55 Senior Member
    edited August 2016
    Hi,

Thank you in advance

Is it coming from the blue line, the black lines or the snap lock fitting?

The black lines can be replaced easy and cheap, go to super cheap, bursons etc. Get x amount of 8mm fuel line capable of 100psi + and some worm clamps and replace it. Should set you back less than $50.

- - - Updated - - -
    Hi,

Thank you in advance

Is it coming from the blue line, the black lines or the snap lock fitting?

The black lines can be replaced easy and cheap, go to super cheap, bursons etc. Get x amount of 8mm fuel line capable of 100psi + and some worm clamps and replace it. Should set you back less than $50.
  • Rob70Rob70 Member
    edited August 2016
    Thanks. Better than the $1000 that I was quoted.......
  • SU55SU55 Senior Member
    edited August 2016
    No probs mate. I just did my secondary filter setup, all the hoses are easy but the hose clamps are a bitch! But since you're replacing the lines don't hesitate to cut the lines to make life easier for yourself. [MENTION=7099]Rawlings44[/MENTION] Google worm drive clamps for what you're looking for.
  • tommyg8423tommyg8423 Member
    edited August 2016
    Hey guys just came across this thread while looking for some info myself.
    Last Friday i how the same thing but much worse. Lucky i was near home.
    The tension style clamps at the "T" piece let go. Replaced them as required with regular screw style. Happy days i will be getting vw to sort out a more permanent repair. 3ec0bece2fa4a8619a3091238529f610.jpg2f3cd86f409bfdc138a51ab51bb732d9.jpg4b07c8b5f621bdece34386ccfb6f2ca8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • TobeyTobey Senior Member
    edited October 2016
    Mine now has the same fuel leak. Looks to be coming from around the T-Piece as well. Has everyone with the issue got a secondary filter? I figured it might be causing extra pressure.
  • tommyg8423tommyg8423 Member
    edited October 2016
    No mine didn't have a secondary it was just the tension clamp failure

• FirefoxenatorFirefoxenator Junior Member
    edited November 2016
    tommyg8423 wrote: »
    No mine didn't have a secondary it was just the tension clamp failure

Gents, came across this forum when researching an issue I had in South Africa. Appreciate it's old but thought I'd post anyways.
    I was offroad in dunes and reversed over a small bush that snapped and sent part of the branch up and between the two front wheels. My automatic then "stalled" 100m down the road and when I opened the door and smelt diesel, knew there was a problem.

Was absolutely amazed that there is no protection / plate / cover over the fuel delivery system as turns out the intake on the T piece snapped clean off.

Was impossible to fix in the bush so had to be "recovered" and not easy doing this with no power steering or brakes as engine wouldn't run.

Long story short, VW ZA do not import the T piece as a single part, you have to buy the entire assembly, which is **mad**! I found a generic metal T piece used in welding rigs and had them installed as have no doubt the ****ty plastic one will deteriorate over time.

Here's a pic of the replacement piece and original part. Recommend replacing if you working in the area.

2016-11-02 10.55.27.jpg

Will be looking at fitting a protective plate as a real difficult issue to recover from in the bush.

Regards
    Andrew
  • snapsimosnapsimo Supporting Member
    edited November 2016
    Great fix mate. [emoji1417][emoji1417][emoji1417]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • curliffcurliff Member
    edited November 2016
    I had my high pressure return hose crack up near the tank this winter after a -6.c night and had it replaced down at Anglesea autos for $457.