Oils aint Oils

scottkillickscottkillick Junior Member
edited December 2016 in Fuel and Oil
I want to start changing the oil more often that the standard 15K services.
The VW oil, is no doubt a great oil, but it's too damn expensive if you want to change the oil say every 10K.(I think with the technology these days, the synthetic oil will go further than 5K between services)

Whats the go??

Is the Valvoline engine armour (that's in all the 4WD mage these days and endorsed by most) as good as they all recon, or is there something better.

I still want to use good quality oil, but not at VW prices.

Cheers.

Comments

• EdwinPEdwinP Forum Slave
    edited February 2016
    Tdi or tsi?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
  • TobeyTobey Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    VW oil doesnt seem that expensive. The oil in our base model forester was $110 a bottle.

VW charged us $200 for our last oil and filter change including labour... I think he said oil is about $70 which for the amount seems reasonable.
    edited February 2016
    I am pretty sure VW oil is Castrol EDGE Professional Longlife III 5w-30 and you need 7.5l (VW507.00 for vehicles with a DPF) I just wait until it goes on sale and grab it then

is there 5w-30 yet in the Valvoline engine Armour range?
  • scottkillickscottkillick Junior Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm paying over $300.00 for the oil and filter - that's what I call expensive. (that's for the dealer to change it during services)
    I brought (once) a 1 litre bottle as a top up and it was over $30.00.

- - - Updated - - -
    EdwinP wrote: »
    I am pretty sure VW oil is Castrol EDGE Professional Longlife III 5w-30 and you need 7.5l (VW507.00 for vehicles with a DPF) I just wait until it goes on sale and grab it then

is there 5w-30 yet in the Valvoline engine Armour range?

No, not sure. I was wondering if it's as good as they recon??
    edited February 2016
    There is always a good margin on it when you grab it from VW

I noticed last week that it was $78 for 5l at supercheap
  • WinchyWinchy Forum Addict
    edited February 2016
    Penrite Enviro+ 5w30 is VW warranty approved. Just wait for the sales at repco or supercheap.
    Penrite C3 is also the right spec and slightly cheaper, but not VW warranty approved.
    I like Penrite in case you didn't guess[emoji6]

• ozcaddyozcaddy Supporting Member
    edited February 2016
    The Valvoline oil to use is the Synpower it is VW rated
    Oz
    edited February 2016
  • KalrokKalrok Member
    edited February 2016
    I stock Shell Helix Ultra Extra for my customer's Amaroks (and mine).

As I do a lot of short running in my vehicle, I change the oil at 7,500kms.... Whatever you choose, make sure it satisfies 507.00 spec.
    edited February 2016
    EdwinP wrote: »

Yep thats the stuff , the website has a number I have not seen before 506.00 and 506.01 however the specifications mention the 507spec which is what we want for the diesel/dpf motor
    Oz
  • TobeyTobey Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Liqui Moly also have a product that is approved by VW. Most just meet the standard, but LM have had it tested by VW.
  • MayJotsMayJots Posting Freak
    edited February 2016
    Kalrok wrote: »
    I stock Shell Helix Ultra Extra for my customer's Amaroks (and mine).

As I do a lot of short running in my vehicle, I change the oil at 7,500kms.... Whatever you choose, make sure it satisfies 507.00 spec.

Yeah, I'm with you mate. I get mine done every 7500km, although using genuine oil and filter. $275 gets me a service and inspection, with stuff like ALL fluid levels/condition checked, brakes checked/adjusted, air filter cleaned, suspension/steering checked, tyres rotated etc. Pretty sweet deal methinks [emoji106]

2015 VW Amarok Highline TDI420
    Stock as a Rok
  • BirdarokBirdarok Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm surprised services are only every 15.000 k in Aus. It's 10.000 in Brazil, but I would shorten this in case of shorter drives, less travels. Costs for services and oil seem equivalent, although the only brands that meet the 507.00 standards here are Castrol and Motul.

Enviado de meu D2403 usando Tapatalk
  • QuetQuet Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Birdarok wrote: »
    I'm surprised services are only every 15.000 k in Aus. It's 10.000 in Brazil, but I would shorten this in case of shorter drives, less travels. Costs for services and oil seem equivalent, although the only brands that meet the 507.00 standards here are Castrol and Motul.

Enviado de meu D2403 usando Tapatalk

There are other oils posted here that are VW rated at 507 and an oil not mentioned before which I run is Amsoil, not found in retail stores but bought at the wholesaler.
    I'm from North Qld and get mine sent up from the Gold Coast. I changed my oil at 5000 (not a fan of Castrol oils ) and have been running this oil since then.
    I was looking at the Catch Can thread if it's worth it or not and people changing their intake pipes have found oil on the edge of the turbo so installing catch cans,
    when I checked mine found a clean shining surface, when I rubbed my finger around the top of the turbo outlet did I got a slight smear of oil.
    I chose this oil after a lot of reading because of a problem with my previous ute, this oil is rated at the highest evaporate rate meaning it would make it more
    difficult for it to pass through your turbo seals to get into your intercooler and then gum up your sensors.
    edited February 2016
    Lets say for discussion do you need to do anything special when servicing if you wanted to shift from castrol to valvoline?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
  • gnelgnel Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is also 507. Don`t know if its available down under?
    edited March 2016
    Found this but always do your own checks to validate information
    Also pricing may not be accurate
    Oz

For the Australian market, possible sources of approved 504.00/507.00 lubricants are listed below.

Please note that some products may not be:
    - available in retail stores
    - imported by the distributor
    - purchased in small quantities

Always check the label before purchasing.

Audi LongLife III 5W-30 (check dealer for availability)
    Part number:
    G AU 052 195 M2 (1 L bottle)

Bizol Technology 507 5W-30
    Information / Distributor

BP Visco 7000 5W-30

Caltex Havoline Ultra V 5W-30

Castrol Edge 5W-30 ($57.99/5L Cargear; $74.98/5L Supercheap Auto)

Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III 5W-30 (check dealer for availability)

Elf Evolution Full-Tech LLX 5W-30 ($84.99/5L Autobarn - selected stores only)

Eni i-Sint 5W-30
    Information / Distributor (QLD)

Fuchs Titan GT1 PRO C-3 5W-30 ($--.--/5L Burson)

Global Racing Oil GXS 5W-30

Gulf Formula GVX 5W-30

Liqui-Moly Top Tec 4200 5W-30 ($77.25/5L Cargear; $104.99/5L Autobarn; $106.95/5L Spares Box)

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 ($14.50/1L GL Lubricants [eBay]; $15.00/1L PerformanceLUB [eBay])

Mobil Super 3000 Formula V 5W-30

Morris MultiLife V-Max 5W-30 ($90.20/5L Lubricon)

Motul 8100 X-clean+ 5W-30 ($88.00/5L Autosphere; $94.95/5L Spares Box)

Motul Specific 504 00-507 00 5W-30 ($28.99/1L Tuspeed; $88.00/5L Autosphere; $109.99/5L Autobarn - selected stores only)

Nulon European Engine Oil 5W-30 ($70.95/5L Spares Box)

OWS GrandSport DPF 5W-30

Panolin Avanis SV-X 5W-30

Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30 ($79.99/5L Supercheap Auto; $79.99/5L Autobarn)

Pentosin Pento Super Performance III 5W-30 ($107.75/5L Liquid Intelligence [eBay])

Q8 Formula VX Long Life 5W-30

Repsol Elite Long Life 50700/50400 5W-30 ($105.95/5L online)

Rock Oil Synthesis Xtra-Life 5W-30

Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5W-30 ($79.99/5L Supercheap Auto)

Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30

Total Quartz Ineo Long Life 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower XL-III 5W-30 ($74.88/5L Supercheap Auto)

Volkswagen LongLife III 5W-30 (check dealer for availability)
    Part number:
    G VW 052 195 M2 (1 L bottle)

Volkswagen Original Teile® LongLife III 5W-30 (check dealer for availability)
    Part numbers:
    G 052 195 M2 (1 L bottle)
    G 052 195 M4 (5 L bottle)
    G 052 195 M6 (60 L drum)

Source: VW approved lubricants list
  • WolfsburgWolfsburg Member
    edited September 2016
    For those interested in doing their own (intermediate) oil changes, I would recommend Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro C-3 5w-30 engine oil. It is VW approved (507.00) and is suited for Diesels with a DPF.
    Bursons seem to be the only distributor and as such do not have to compete on price - around $72 for a 5L pack.
    The same oil is currently available from Powerbulb in the UK for $60.55 per 5L pack with free delivery. They currently have a 20% discount on everything.
    You cannot find oil sales on the Powerbulb website, so you need to Google Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro C-3 + Powerbulb to get you to the web page.
    Hope this helps.
    Thomas

2013 Highline BiTDI Auto
  • SheenSheen Member
    edited December 2016
    I'm 3rd generation Castrol. My grandfather was a distributor into the Riverina back in the day.

I did some research after purchasing the Rok as I have always performed mid interval engine oil changes to whatever vehicle I have.
    VW strongly recommended (on more than one occasion) against a mid interval oil change within the first 15,000km. They didn't out and out say, rather hinted, that the factory oil is different and needs to stay in for the first 15,000km. This goes against all my mechanical sympathy however I let it go for the full 15,000km.

Anyhow, thats abit of a tangent. Back onto topic...

As the recent service approached, I contacted Castrol to triple check my research. The findings:

Retail: Castrol Edge 5W-30 507.00VW - Unfortunately this is not the variant which semi-regularly goes on sale for $30 for 5L - Cost $63 on special at Supercheap
    Commercial: Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III 5W-30 - you can get this from a distributor apparently. I'm lead to believe it doesn't come in 5L bottles.

Now here's the interesting part...
    I inquired with VW to see which oil brand they use. I was advised: Caltex. So naturally I sourced and provided my own oil.
    To purchase my own oil cost $126. When VW adjusted the servicing bill to remove their oil from the inventory, the total price came down $210! I couldn't believe it.
    A near $90 saving and I still went home with 3L of my own oil for top ups.
  • TjilpiTjilpi Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    I want to start changing the oil more often that the standard 15K services.
    The VW oil, is no doubt a great oil, but it's too damn expensive if you want to change the oil say every 10K.(I think with the technology these days, the synthetic oil will go further than 5K between services)

Whats the go??

Is the Valvoline engine armour (that's in all the 4WD mage these days and endorsed by most) as good as they all recon, or is there something better.

I still want to use good quality oil, but not at VW prices.

Cheers.

I get my VW serviced every 10,000kms but use VW compliant oil. There are a number of oils that comply with VW specifications and can be used. The reason I get it serviced every 10,000kms is due to the hot climate in the NT - Advice from diesel mechanic.
  • DeicideDeicide Member
    edited December 2016
    I run the Total Quartz Ineo Long Life 5W-30
    $153 + GST per 20l

I service both my Amarok and the wifes petrol Golf with this oil.

Scaled back the service intervals to "around" 10k kms mainly due to stop start city driving.
  • surfermansurferman Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    So if you are running a diesel Rok and money was not object, what would be the ultimate oil for the engine, gearbox?
    edited December 2016
    surferman wrote: »
    So if you are running a diesel Rok and money was not object, what would be the ultimate oil for the engine, gearbox?
    [MENTION=5327]surferman[/MENTION] , See post 4 , that is a great oil , but so are all the others listed , so long as it meets VW spec all should be good
    Oz