Rock Armor side steps

Amarok27Amarok27 Junior Member
edited August 2017 in Exterior Mod's
Just picked up some Rock Armor side steps, came with no instructions and a tonne of random brackets and bolts. anyone fitted them? if so please send instructions as it came with none and I'm having no luck with powerful 4x4 in Brisbane.

Comments

• SU55SU55 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Maybe put some pics up and see if someone can nut it out for you. How do you find them? Good quality? Good value for money?
  • Amarok27Amarok27 Junior Member
    edited December 2015
    they look awesome and very solid but I have spent about 3 hours trying to fit to no avail.
    it doesn't help that Powerful 4x4 has not returned any of my phone calls for the last 2 days, despite repeatedly asking for the instructions to be emailed and told it will only be 20-25 minute wait. a few hours later after hearing nothing I called again, too busy to talk etc.
    Am getting it fitted tomorrow because I'm sick of trying to do it myself. will let you know how they go but at this stage not worth the hassle with the company
  • SU55SU55 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Yeah I've seen the bad reviews on the fb page. Hopefully you get them fitted tomorrow without any dramas.
  • Amarok27Amarok27 Junior Member
    edited December 2015
    would be a nearly impossible task for the home mechanic. most washers had to be grinded down to fit into holes etc. most bolts were used from a mix of previous kits. Worth the extra money to buy different sliders, don't make the same mistake as me!
  • SU55SU55 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Are you happy with them now that they're on? Any pics? Does sound like a big stuff around, I think I'll be saving up for some rhino ones.
  • EZRokEZRok Junior Member
    edited October 2016
    Bought the rock armor side steps and fitted them today. When opening the hardware I also thought "what the hell is going on here..".

Started by fitting the centre bracket first with the longer bolts and plate that fits around the chassis rail. It's a very tight fit but can be done with patience.

Then the front bracket I used the 16mm short bolt, spacers, spring washer and nut into the vertical hole. For the horizontal hole I used the 19mm bolt with a tail welded onto it fed through a square chassis hole.

The rear bracket was a bit tricky to figure out which hardware would work. I realised the U bolts fit between two holes and can be fed through the large hole on the inside of the chassis rail. I put the black bracket with a single hole in the middle of it on the U bolt before sliding it into the chassis rail to create a pinch point for the front hole which is about 2 inches in diameter.

There was plenty of hardware left but all the mounting holes had been taken care of so I can only assume the hardware kit can cover multiple car brands.

Total time 3 hours...

- - - Updated - - -

Bought the rock armor side steps and fitted them today. When opening the hardware I also thought "what the hell is going on here..".

Started by fitting the centre bracket first with the longer bolts and plate that fits around the chassis rail. It's a very tight fit but can be done with patience.

Then the front bracket I used the 16mm short bolt, spacers, spring washer and nut into the vertical hole. For the horizontal hole I used the 19mm bolt with a tail welded onto it fed through a square chassis hole.

The rear bracket was a bit tricky to figure out which hardware would work. I realised the U bolts fit between two holes and can be fed through the large hole on the inside of the chassis rail. I put the black bracket with a single hole in the middle of it on the U bolt before sliding it into the chassis rail to create a pinch point for the front hole which is about 2 inches in diameter.

There was plenty of hardware left but all the mounting holes had been taken care of so I can only assume the hardware kit can cover multiple car brands.

Total time 3 hours...
  • EdwinPEdwinP Forum Slave
    edited October 2016
    any pics?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  • 1camo11camo1 Junior Member
    edited October 2016
    edited October 2016
    edited October 2016
    edited October 2016
    Mine squeaked like hell after a 4x4 trip and despite all attempts to fix it I couldn't, so I removed them till a later date when I can be bothered looking into it further. They also didn't come with instructions which was fecking irritating as there were alot of bolts and brackets

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • JoyriderJoyrider Junior Member
    edited December 2016
    EZRok wrote: »

Total time 3 hours...

- - - Updated - - -

Total time 3 hours...

Thanks EZrok. Your notes helped me a lot. Must say that you are quick if you did it in 3 hours or then again it is probably me being slow - lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • WickedstixWickedstix Member
    edited August 2017
    Hi all just finished installing mine today and they look great and feel strong to.

Thanks EZrok, with out your guide it would have taken me a while but with your guide the missus n I got it knocked over in about 2hrs. [emoji41]
    The hardest part we found were the middle ones especially on the pass side where the fuel lines run.
    Did I mention I've also got a massive shed with a hoist [emoji6]

But first impressions are great, absolutely worth the $500 savings left in my pocket.

As for them squeaking mine are in so damn tight there not moving at all. Maybe just needed to tighten them??
  • AWRokAWRok Junior Member

Hi guys,

I just had some Rock Armor rocksliders installed (opted for a deal which included fitting for $100 plus discount on the sliders given the hassles some people have had with fitting them).

But then when I went to pick up the Amarok I noticed the mechanics had only used two points of contact on each slider (front and end), and what looks to me like they've cut the middle attachment off. When I asked them about this they said "these are the new model which don't use the middle attachment because on the old model the middle attachment would rub on the chasis and they got too many complaints". They then said if there's any issues with strength then to just come back to the store, but to be honest that's not something I want to find out whilst out on tracks.

To me this sounded pretty bogus and my gut feel is they just cut the middle attachment off because it was being a hassle to fit.

What are people thoughts on this??

Cheers

• kippiekippie Junior Member

You didn't get what you paid for so I'd ask for my money back and go elsewhere.

• doinitsidewaysdoinitsideways Junior Member

Or type up a letter to the effect of that... including any damage to body from said rock slider failer will be repaired in full by the shop and get them to sign it....

if not, get them removed and your money back.

• I wouldn’t accept it, even standard steps have 3 points of contact!

I fitted Rocksliders steps that have 3 mounting points, my only issue was on the passengers side where the U-shaped bracket slides up behind the brake lines, it doesn’t allow them to clip back in to the chassis clips. I had to remove the chasssis clips & space them out about 10mm to prevent the brake lines from chafing on the mounting bolt head.