Recalls

TojoTojo Member
edited January 2013 in Amarok Recall's
My Rok went in for the 15k service today. Two "Recalls were incorporated -
1. RECALL 23H8 - Upadte engine control module software.
2. RECALL 3023 - Replacement of Clutch Pipe.

Despite the numerous posts, and Essendon VW's Service Reception person, stating that the Clutch Pipe change takes 24 hours, I got the vehicle back in just on 6 hours with it completed:huh:

No idea what the first recall is, but the clutch is lighter and feels better (not that I thought that there was anything wrong in the first place), and it is quiter when riding the clutch. The whole vehicle seems quieter - byt it is propably just the fresh oil.

Consumption seems to have jumped in the 120km trip home as well - I was averaging 8.6-8.8 on the highway, but I struggled to get it under 10!!!! :dodgy:

Comments

  • TojoTojo Member
    edited December 2011
    I have been consumed by finding out what the hell this 23H8 "recall" is all about. From the dealer invoice it is obviously a ECU Software Update - but to do what -

    UK - this update has been around for at least 5-years (various diesels in various VW/Skoda's) to correct rough idling when the particulate filter is not working correctly.

    Argentina - Adds HP, improves idling, helps cold starts and has something to do with electric mirrors!!! :huh:

    Germany - fixed problems caused by cloged of malfunctioning DPF (particulate filters). Also make for smoother acceleration, increased power, and possibly reduction in ecconomy (increases fuel usage) :dodgy:

    From what I can tell from VW blogs in Germany VW have been applying this update whenever they first see a vehicle that does not already have (in one case it was a tyre change!). No one seems to be able to get a decent answer from VW - one service centre is quoted as saying it is to reduce customer complaints:-/
    Another calls it a "free product optimisation"!

    Well, after a few hours research I fell much more enlightened.

    PS: My Rok did seem smoother and quieter on the trip home, but in the 120km highway trip the consumption was about 10 - I normally get 8.6 - 8.8 on the same run. Time will tell.
  • carpi1971carpi1971 Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    When I first took the Rok for a test ride there was a destinct flat spot down low in the rev range,
    my ride doesn't have that lag in it and has has had the software upgrade from delivery.

    I'm assume the upgrade takes the lag out, and would explain the increase fuel consumption too.

    I can only seem to get just on the 900k mark per tank, but I do give it some stick too.

    Haven't had the clutch pipe upgrade yet though..
  • TojoTojo Member
    edited December 2011
    carpi1971 wrote:
    When I first took the Rok for a test ride there was a destinct flat spot down low in the rev range,
    my ride doesn't have that lag in it and has has had the software upgrade from delivery.

    I'm assume the upgrade takes the lag out, and would explain the increase fuel consumption too.

    I can only seem to get just on the 900k mark per tank, but I do give it some stick too.

    Haven't had the clutch pipe upgrade yet though..


    Just completed my regular 46km run to work (80% highway) and got 7.2 - which is the best I have ever had!! Given yesterday poor consumption on the run back from Melbourne, this is a real surprise. I dont know what to think any more :huh:













    Tojo wrote:
    carpi1971 wrote:
    When I first took the Rok for a test ride there was a destinct flat spot down low in the rev range,
    my ride doesn't have that lag in it and has has had the software upgrade from delivery.

    I'm assume the upgrade takes the lag out, and would explain the increase fuel consumption too.

    I can only seem to get just on the 900k mark per tank, but I do give it some stick too.

    Haven't had the clutch pipe upgrade yet though..

    Just completed my regular 46km run to work (80% highway) and got 7.2 - which is the best I have ever had!! Given yesterday poor consumption on the run back from Melbourne, this is a real surprise. I dont know what to think any more :huh:

    My Rok did not have the flat spot before the upgrade (not that I could tell anyway). This is my 4th VW diesel in a row - one of which was a Passat with terrible lag & flat spot, but once past it really flew. All the others were DSG's. Power in the ROK seem good after the upgrade, but hard to say what the difference is.













  • dazzza1978dazzza1978 Junior Member
    edited December 2011
    I know I have definitely had the clutch recall.

    I am unsure about the other recall, I do know that I am now consistently getting high 8's and low 9's for my average fuel consumption.

    I do think that the performance has improved in the last half dozen drives, which could either be the engine loosening up (8000 k's) or the positive effects of a recall that I was not told about.

    I will enquire when I next speak to my dealer. They are looking into to fitting the new MFSW in my Ultimate and some new nudge bar and xenon light package.

    Cheers
  • davedave Supporting Member
    edited December 2011
    Tojo wrote:
    My Rok went in for the 15k service today. Two "Recalls were incorporated -
    1. RECALL 23H8 - Upadte engine control module software.
    2. RECALL 3023 - Replacement of Clutch Pipe.

    Despite the numerous posts, and Essendon VW's Service Reception person, stating that the Clutch Pipe change takes 24 hours, I got the vehicle back in just on 6 hours with it completed:huh:

    No idea what the first recall is, but the clutch is lighter and feels better (not that I thought that there was anything wrong in the first place), and it is quiter when riding the clutch. The whole vehicle seems quieter - byt it is propably just the fresh oil.

    Consumption seems to have jumped in the 120km trip home as well - I was averaging 8.6-8.8 on the highway, but I struggled to get it under 10!!!! :dodgy:

  • flyingfridgeflyingfridge Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    Here is the skinny on the Service Bulletins.

    The 23H8 update changes the way the Diesel Particulate filter regenerates, you shouldn't notice any difference in the way the car drives. I have had a couple of customers report that fuel economy is improved, I can't say I noticed any difference myself when I had it done.

    The 3023 clutch pipe replacement is to add a vibration damper to the pipe. It affects many eariler build cars where the damper was not factory fitted. You'll notice a vibration through the pedal during the pedal throw if it hasn't been done. The reason for the 24h lay over is not anything to do with glue, it is to allow the air to bleed out of the system. By rights you shouldn't have to wait for that time when bleeding the clutch and the instruction baffled our mechanics originally, however when we did the upgrade to our demo and only let it sit for a few hours, the clutch pedal went to the floor a couple of days later. After that every car stops overnight.
  • TojoTojo Member
    edited December 2011
    Oh shit!

    Thanks, but I probably could have done without knowing (not really - thanks again).

    The clutch is definitely different - feels lighter and take up at a better position - and definitely has lost the growl when riding the clutch on up hill starts or pulling a load. Hope it lasts as most of my driving is well away from help is it fails - mostly around central Vic and western district - some days I only see the same three cars on the way to work! (I really don't miss Melbourne while listening to ABC's traffic report on the trip to work).
  • HarvsHarvs Member
    edited December 2012
    I have a pulsation in my clutch pedal and a "rattle " sound between gear changes. My vehicle is a 2012 though so shouldn't it have had the clutch pipe thing done already?

    Also, The exhaust note in my car is sometimes noticeably louder or drones and at this time there is a burning smell. I thought this might be a DPF burn. Would that be right?
  • MartygooseMartygoose Junior Member
    edited January 2013
    The 23H8 recall was for my clutch. They replaced the slave,bearings even the pedal. Clutch works better. The lady at VW said it was a recall only if you reported the clutch fault then the job would be carried out.
  • adamwbadamwb Junior Member
    edited January 2013
    My Rok had a clutch pipe damper from factory, but i have an annoying noise when changing gears! i have heard its normal operation in a Amarok? I am always suspicious of unwanted noises in a new car under 5000ks. So could it be the slave and bearings that are responsible
  • TurbobusTurbobus Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Was enquiring about a few concerns on the weekend and heard that there are a few recall for different bits and pieces but....

    You will only get them if you go into the dealer with a problem.

    If you don't tell them, they won't fix it.

    Anyone heard similar?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ICEWOLFICEWOLF Forum Addict
    edited January 2013
    Yep, & that craps getting real boring!

    After 3 visits (1 of them 15k service)
    The Service Department Apparently now has a "Fix" for the squeaking rear spring set. Could be old news but they've ordered the parts for me. Replaces the lower support leaf that holds the pack guide.

    Dying to know how Scorp69's gearbox clapped out..
Sign In or Register to comment.