How to get the fuel door open when it is stuck

sclarke7171sclarke7171 Posting Freak
edited December 2017 in Fuel and Oil
Has your fuel filler door played hard to get and wont open? Are you at a remote location and need fuel, or do you just not care to wait for the dealer to open up just so he can tell you he can't open it??
This is the fix
Tools needed. Torx screw driver. What size. Bloody hell. One that fits !!!! I carry a full set in my Rok now as this is not my 1st repair on it.
Ok. After many hours of cursing and cracking it and help from forum members who took pix of there central locking setup on the fuel filler door I managed to get mine open
I broke it doing so as I had no idea on how to get it open. You don't have to do this.
Heres what you do. Undo the top and LH top screws for the inner plastic panel in the tub. Prise it open and get your hand in there, yes it will be tight and it will hurt. Get a torch or just feel your way to the lock. On the side there is a rubber boot. About the size of a button on a remote control. It faces the outer panel of the tub. It will be in the down position. Push it up. This has now unlocked the lock. Then you can now open the filler door as you would normally.
Pix will explain this. Btw I ripped the rubber boot so I could see what it was. You don't need to. Nor do you need to force open the door.
I removed the lock to see how it worked. You don't have to

31c11c92-7c87-db2a.jpg
This is in the locked position. See how the door locking pin is still in.

31c11c92-7cac-d094.jpg
This is unlocked. Now the pin can push in and out as you open and close the door

31c11c92-7cce-bfc8.jpg
In place as the factory mounts it looking from underneath. The little rubber boot and switch or leaver is in the middle of the pic facing the panel

31c11c92-7cef-85fe.jpg
Filler door open. See the crack at the end of the locking part?? Because I forced it open to even get to fill it.

31c11c92-7d0c-ebb9.jpg
This is the part I broke to get it open. Don't prise it open. It just breaks it

31c11c92-7d6d-7585.jpg
Locked position. When it's unlocked and disengaged the d shape will be vertical.

Hope this helps
This education segment was brought to you by "Jiffies prying bars" and "ARB".
Please note that I own copyright on this educational segment and any breaches will occur a fine of one carton of beer.

Enjoy your fuel filling. Ohh go and look at yours while it still works so you can see how it locks.

Clarkie

Comments

• MattyDeeMattyDee Supporting Member
    edited December 2011
    Haha quite entertaining! Cheers. I'm sure it will help a few people in years to come :)
  • sclarke7171sclarke7171 Posting Freak
    edited December 2011
    My guess is it will help a few in the next few months. Lol.
    I'll annoy the dealer this week and get him to order the new parts
    They have to fix the 12v in the rear also as it does not work from new
  • PrometherionPrometherion Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    So there was an "easy" way to open it.
    Wonder what they will sting you for the parts?
    edited December 2011
    No they won't. Barlow VW have been very helpful and parts have been ordered. I must thank Mario for looking after me
    edited December 2011
    How goods this. Today I went to fill up and guess what?? It's locked it's self. So now I have to unlock it from inside the guard again.
    Seeing I'm going away at Xmas. I'll unplug the actuator from the loom and tape the end up so dirt does not get in the plug. Might r
    Wrap a bag over it and tape it to not get tape glue in the plug end.
    My reaction at the servo was "f@*#"

:)
  • davedave Supporting Member
    edited December 2011
    How goods this. Today I went to fill up and guess what?? It's locked it's self. So now I have to unlock it from inside the guard again.
    Seeing I'm going away at Xmas. I'll unplug the actuator from the loom and tape the end up so dirt does not get in the plug. Might r
    Wrap a bag over it and tape it to not get tape glue in the plug end.
    My reaction at the servo was "f@*#"

:)
    There's a thread on the forum on how to get the fuel door open haha lol. I don't have to worry about trivial things like that; I have a tray.
    Just got to work out how to stop scum stealing diesel lol.
    edited December 2011
    Hey there is too. I just found it lol

People don't steal diesel. VL and XD's run on Super. Lol
    edited December 2011
    Today's modification
    And note that I only had to take the LH top Torx screw out to get my hand up to unlock it

Hey I'm going out tonight to pinch everyone's diesel :)

3aa3afaa-7222-f0af.jpg
    This will stop it locking every so often !!!
    edited February 2012
    Update. Went in to get it fixed. New actuator fitted and it does not unlock grrrrrr. So it is a wiring or computer issue. Tempted to leave it unplugged.
    edited March 2012
    Locks and unlocks when it feels fit. Stupid part. Everytime I fill it. It's locked and won't unlock. So today I disconnected it. It can stay that way from now on. It's too intermittent for anyone to find and I can't leave it at a dealer for a month. Not happy
    edited March 2012
    Update. 2 calls to dealer to get a "I'll get the workshop supervisor to call you". Time to talk to another stealer
  • RabbitRabbit Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Sorry guys, since having my Rok, my fuel door has never locked. My Rok is the base model, is it meant to lock?
    edited March 2012
    Rabbit wrote:
    Sorry guys, since having my Rok, my fuel door has never locked. My Rok is the base model, is it meant to lock?

Yes, it's meant to lock when you lock your car, as it's hooked up to central locking..
    edited March 2012
    Ok I better get that looked at. Thank you
    edited March 2012
    MattyDee wrote:
    Rabbit wrote:

Yes, it's meant to lock when you lock your car, as it's hooked up to central locking..

I rang up my closest dealer today, and was advised that fuel door doesn't lock.
    I have a basic Rok, so just checking with other basic Rok owners to see if their Rok fuel door locks.
    edited March 2012
    Hmm does your fuel cap have a lock?

Maybe thats a solution for you Clarke, go back to food old fashion
    edited March 2012
    Nope, no lock on the fuel cap either....
    edited March 2012
    Eek... So its anyone's for the taking.. That sucks :(
    edited March 2012
    MattyDee wrote:

Yep sure does..... Not happy
  • SamboSambo Forum Addict
    edited March 2012
    MattyDee wrote:

Nice pun....:)
    edited March 2012
    Haha I'm good!

Totally a fluke :P
    edited March 2012
    Yeah I just leave it disconnected. Not happy with the current dealers attitude to it all. I'm going to see another dealer this week
  • MikhailtMikhailt Supporting Member
    edited March 2012
    Rabbit wrote:
    MattyDee wrote:

Yep sure does..... Not happy

Rabbit, I have base model 4Motion Rock, and my fuel cap locks.
    edited June 2012
    1st dealer could not fix it. Replaced the parts but a day later it failed again.
    Was not until winter that I found it worked in the rain. So has to be an earth.
    Took it to FTG VW on sat. They saw it fail and after 4 hrs said they needed it longer. So they disconnected the fuel door solenoid and I will book it in for a later job. They were very helpful. Funny part. The workshop manager asked me how to unlock it. So after I showed him, he had the other lads take a look.
    At least I don't have to manually unlock it like I was. I must thank them as they cared about my problem and did not question how I was trying to open it. The other dealer treated me like an idiot and showed me how to push the flap to open it. At that time he nearly wore my coffee in his face. Where was my glove when I needed it.
  • Carl148Carl148 Junior Member
    edited July 2014
    I all the sudden today had this problem with it not unlocking too, but after trying a couple of things i found something that worked for me.

Try rapidly pressing against the fuel hatch while unlocking and locking the car.

Works every time when i have that problem, what seems to cause it is for me is if the Amarok is locked with the fuel hatch shut, and you press the fuel hatch you can hear a little click noise after that it won't open normally anymore, tested this about 5 times and found same thing happened every time.
    Just try the rapid pressing and lock/unlocking the car and i pops open like it should on first unlock attempt.
  • fishofisho Forum Addict
    edited July 2014
    Thanks [MENTION=4839]Carl148[/MENTION].
    Does this stick if you have locked the vehicle and then shut the fuel cover.
    Or is it only if you try to open it whilst the vehicle is locked
    edited July 2014
    [MENTION=139]sclarke7171[/MENTION] which barloworld are you talking about. I realise this is a 2 yo thread but interested to see if it's the same mongrels I've been dealing with.
  • Carl148Carl148 Junior Member
    edited July 2014
    [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] it only happens when you try open the fuel hatch when the Amarok is locked.
    edited July 2014
    Thanks mate
  • AutodasAutodas Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Just had this problem with mine this arvo at the servo. Got home and it opened ok. So back to the servo goes I. Thankfully it opened ok but seems to be excessively noisy when you lock it. Sounds like a disconnection may be in order.