Alpha Canopy

ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
edited August 2018 in Exterior Mod's
The wife wants a canopy this time round, after the salesman said "eyy , ya canna no havvv that" when I asked if I could pull the Roll'n'lok off our trade in. (I'm driving everyone crazy at home as that's my answer to every question at the moment.)
My googling has led me to this http://www.utecanopies.com.au/amarok_dc.html
Does anyone have experience with them (CME)?
Tossing up between this and the SMM steel top, similar price/look/features
8b6d3d7ae9b5c511ad13b1ca0154429d.jpg
This would give the missus a spot for some signwriting for her biusness, would I miss the side windows?
Any other pro/ cons?
Would appreciate any thoughts.
Any better options?

Comments

• ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    Ok so it's a rebadged Alpa, which throws up some search results, I'll start reading.
  • Billmoore1Billmoore1 Supporting Member
    edited March 2015
    I have just had one fitted. Very happy with it. Hasn't got central locking, but hey, I can lock it. Just gotta remember
  • ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    Billmoore1 wrote: »
    I have just had one fitted. Very happy with it. Hasn't got central locking, but hey, I can lock it. Just gotta remember

Cool, with windows or solid doors?
    Any chance of PM ing or posting price?
  • SAROKSAROK Posting Freak
    edited March 2015
    Had one for about a month now and happy with quality Gavin

97a0f56bd1fd28772d15bcf7da873391.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edited March 2015
    ISHOE wrote: »
    Cool, with windows or solid doors?
    Any chance of PM ing or posting price?

Hi Gav
    Mine has windows. Fitted for around $3300.00 in Laverton
  • ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    Hi Gav
    Mine has windows. Fitted for around $3300.00 in Laverton

Cheers, I think that's the place I got the picture from, I've sent him an email, I might try 'blueys ute world' as well.
    Dave Is that the same canopy you had on in January , looks a treat , I should have paid more attention, but wasn't in the market for one so didn't soak it all in when I saw your ute, there was a lot to see.

Would the lift up sides work with an awning above on the racks, looks like the doors are gull wing style?
    edited March 2015
    [MENTION=1236]ISHOE[/MENTION] It would work provided the awning is above the rack and not slung over the side if you know what I mean
    edited March 2015
    [MENTION=1236]ISHOE[/MENTION] timely question, pioneer platform and awning on last Monday, pictures show Minimum mounting positions to clear the gull wings, do it Gav!!

ecd4c024d9c282dcdd249942f835c9d2.jpg

64d9c4052c008079c62012f2e29bde4c.jpg

5db6a6a6ad0937f287120d9acd367cf3.jpg

• dalmacija91dalmacija91 Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    SAROK wrote: »
    [MENTION=1236]ISHOE[/MENTION] timely question, pioneer platform and awning on last Monday, pictures show Minimum mounting positions to clear the gull wings, do it Gav!!

ecd4c024d9c282dcdd249942f835c9d2.jpg

64d9c4052c008079c62012f2e29bde4c.jpg

5db6a6a6ad0937f287120d9acd367cf3.jpg

Ive never been a fan of bull bars or canopies, but some how I see your Rok and I want both haha!!

Looks great mate! :)
  • ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    [MENTION=60]SAROK[/MENTION] that is fu... air dinkum awesome , that's exactly what I've got, do the rhino mounts fit the alpha tracks? I would need new legs anyway ,as the roof mounts are different lengths.
    That's one of the best looking Roks out there mate, magic.
    Thanks fellas.
    edited March 2015
    Yeah probably different feet Gav, looking forward to seeing some pics when you get it all sorted [emoji106]

• DrewDrew Super Moderator
    edited March 2015
    I like that canopy almost as much as the Carryboy ;)

my personal preference, Gav is windows, as it makes the rear view a heap darker without windows (in my opinion)
  • ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    Drew wrote: »
    (in my opinion)

That's what I was after, I'll have a look at the carry boy as well.
    I've got some time to decide, bills to pay and cattle to sell before I can get anything. [emoji6]
  • ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=34471
    http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=76999

For future referance ,thanks to [MENTION=2237]UnstableImage[/MENTION] And [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION]
  • fishofisho Forum Addict
    edited March 2015
    [MENTION=1236]ISHOE[/MENTION] I've had the CME for 6 months now and can't fault it.
    All the new ones (through blueys) come with central locking on the back window and they take up to 5 hours to install it because of that. They did say mine was the first one that they had done with it :p
    It is a 3-4 month wait though to have it colour coded etc.

The racks are rated to 100 kgs and I've had 130kg on it (through necessity rather than design) and no probs. I did take it easy though. The gull wing windows means that you can load and unload through them and have full access to the tub as opposed to sliding windows that only give you 50% access.
    As Billmoore advised if you mount on the racks rather than level with or below no probs with the awning or anything else for that matter. They were gonna put longer bars on mine but the windows hit the bars on opening because of the way the window opens.

If you had the no windows option that would restrict the access and make it MUCH darker as Drew mentioned.

The main argument against the steel one is heat in the back. I climbed into a ranger with the steel one before I got mine on an overcast day and couldn't believe the difference.

Happy to meet up so you can have a thorough inspection if you want.
    edited March 2015
    [MENTION=1236]ISHOE[/MENTION] the racks on the canopy are fitted onto a sliding mount so they can be fitted into any position along the canopy.
    [MENTION=60]SAROK[/MENTION] that is one nice setup you got going there. What did the rack set you back please? I'm thinking of doing that over the cabin so I can still put my roof box onto the canopy.

Decisions, decisions.:cool:
  • ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    Thanks [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] , been talking to blueys this morning, $100 for central locking on the tailgate, waiting for an email from them with some photos of the glass door model CME-W.
    Three good reviews and my bit of research has it at the top of the list.
    Do they come with the legs for the rack or will rhino fit?
    I've gat the same platform, awning, HD awning mount kit as Dave and the legs to fit the Rok roof , it was $1050 from Autobarn, they had a special on Rhino gear at the time which was cheaper than mates rates.
  • ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    [MENTION=872]Steevo[/MENTION] , [MENTION=1447]Drew[/MENTION] or @ Tintinz if you happen to wander past could you rename this thread ALPHA canopy please, make it easier for punters in the future. Caddy was the first supplier I found, not the actual brand.
    edited March 2015
    ISHOE wrote: »
    Thanks [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] , been talking to blueys this morning, $100 for central locking on the tailgate, waiting for an email from them with some photos of the glass door model CME-W.
    Three good reviews and my bit of research has it at the top of the list.
    Do they come with the legs for the rack or will rhino fit?
    I've gat the same platform, awning, HD awning mount kit as Dave and the legs to fit the Rok roof , it was $1050 from Autobarn, they had a special on Rhino gear at the time which was cheaper than mates rates.

The bars on the canopy legs are removable (as are the legs). Having said that it all depends on the rhino mounting points.
    As I mentioned earlier, if you want to investigate further, happy to meet up.

Edit: ask about the drop down front window as opposed to the sliding one. I was told the drop down was standard but then was supplied with a slide. Makes cleaning much easier with the drop down.
    edited March 2015
    fisho wrote: »
    The bars on the canopy legs are removable (as are the legs). Having said that it all depends on the rhino mounting points.
    As I mentioned earlier, if you want to investigate further, happy to meet up.

Edit: ask about the drop down front window as opposed to the sliding one. I was told the drop down was standard but then was supplied with a slide. Makes cleaning much easier with the drop down.

+1 to the drop down window [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION], They have ordered one for me. Rhino rack feet fit the rails@ISHOE
  • ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the offer [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] , I appreciate it but I'm down south about 9 hours. [MENTION=4374]Billmoore1[/MENTION] I'm not far out of Korumburra , any chance of catching up in Morewell one day?
    edited March 2015
    Only 9 hours [MENTION=1236]ISHOE[/MENTION]? Just gives you a good reason to have a cooling amber cordial once you arrive. :D
    edited March 2015
    [MENTION=1236]ISHOE[/MENTION]
    Mate Korumburra...that's just down the road. def a meet up soon. I have to go to Port Macquarie this week coming. Looking so forward to the run in trip. When I come back I'll contact you for a meet up and we can talk Amarok without anyone getting pi***d of with us. [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] 9 hours is stuff all to an old IS driver. We should meet
    Cheers
    Bill
    edited March 2015
    [MENTION=1236]ISHOE[/MENTION]
    Mate Korumburra...that's just down the road. def a meet up soon. I have to go to Port Macquarie this week coming. Looking so forward to the run in trip. When I come back I'll contact you for a meet up and we can talk Amarok without anyone getting pi***d of with us. [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] 9 hours is stuff all to an old IS driver. We should meet
    Cheers
    Bill

When are you expecting to be in or around campbelltown Bill? I'll see if I can switch stuff around to meet you. Maybe [MENTION=1381]ozcaddy[/MENTION] can join us as he only has 168hrs a week free it may be a tight fit:p
  • ozcaddyozcaddy Supporting Member
    edited March 2015
    [MENTION=4374]Billmoore1[/MENTION] & [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] , will definitely try to meet up in C/town next week but give me plenty of notice as i am a tight roster , 168 off , 0 on makes it hard to plan things
    Oz
  • NastyNasty Member
    edited March 2015
    I've had mine since 06/13 and do believe its a nice looking canopy with some good attributes. If your taking it on and off or want the option, its a 2 man job as they're quite heavy and recommend putting some extra thicker foam padding between the canopy and tray. Also ask to have foam stuck to the canopy as they were going to stick it to the tray. Otherwise very happy it... loads of 4wding in rough country and open roads... hasn't affected it or moved, even survived the Brisbane Hail Storm back in November.. :) The Rok didn't however...

fmB6zI71

WaT2iNSS

2Gno0Yq9
  • ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    [MENTION=1323]Nasty[/MENTION] , done, I'm convinced and foam to canopy righto.
    fad86ad14f5ba6459e25bf0ec2a39a10.jpg
    Sorry about your Rok, getting fixed?
  • NastyNasty Member
    edited March 2015
    Yeah man, all fixed, that last photo there is the day after it came back from the panel beaters... I wasted no time getting her out and about again. :)
  • ISHOEISHOE Forum Slave
    edited March 2015
    Cool [MENTION=1323]Nasty[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=872]Steevo[/MENTION] is Campbelltown near you?
    [MENTION=4374]Billmoore1[/MENTION] potential Rokmail?
    edited March 2015
    ozcaddy wrote: »
    [MENTION=4374]Billmoore1[/MENTION] & [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] , will definitely try to meet up in C/town next week but give me plenty of notice as i am a tight roster , 168 off , 0 on makes it hard to plan things
    Oz
    @Oz, [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION]
    Leaving Port Mac on Monday 16th March. No reason why C'town shouldn't be a whistle stop. Would love to put faces to names seeing we have been talking for so long. Let me know what your thoughts are:cool::cool: