$209 electrics for Amarok Tow Bar - genuine VW option from Westfalia

Don't get ripped of by your VW dealer - genuine VW electrics are available at $209 :

http://australiatowbars.com.au/volkswagen-amarok-tow-bar-wiring-module-factory-towbar-electrics-led-oem-13-pin-waterproof-warranty.html

You can DIY for the install and the coding is not that difficult as well but we can always help with both.

Tow Bar to work correctly requires a VW module. This is responsible for CAN communication with other modules:
- engine - when towing it works differently to cope with extra load - sometimes switches additional fan to cool
- ABS / ESP module - these work differently when trailer is hooked to avoid jack knifing.
- CECM - This power module distributes power in another way when trailer is hooked - also visually aids the driver when trailer is hooked on dashboard
- OPS - This is coded so when trailer is hooked up sensors do not beep
- CAN gateway - trailer module is coded into the gateway (main comms hub) so the car and other modules know what to do
- RVC - reversing camera - similar thing to parking sensors - recognises the trailer on the screen switches off dynamic lines
- 5F Information Electronics - ensures entertainment system displays all the trailer info correctly.

There is probably a couple of other which we are not aware of.
Overall when the proper VW / Westfalia module is fitted it is safer & easier for the car & driver to deal with the trailer. Many vehicles activate additional fan so the engine does not overheat (A5 cabrio is a great example).

Comments

• ICEWOLFICEWOLF Forum Addict
    edited December 2014
    L.E.D. Compatibility?
  • liquidforceliquidforce Vendor
    edited December 2014
    fully LED compatible
  • ICEWOLFICEWOLF Forum Addict
    edited December 2014
    Suitable for all MY's? Might just be in the market for one, how's stock/availability?
    edited December 2014
    All year Ice, in stock for overnight del
  • n_greenn_green Posting Freak
    edited April 2015
    [MENTION=3041]liquidforce[/MENTION] do you also sell the adapters to go from the VW 13 pin to a 7 pin flat plug?
    edited April 2015
    n_green wrote: »
    [MENTION=3041]liquidforce[/MENTION] do you also sell the adapters to go from the VW 13 pin to a 7 pin flat plug?

We do 13 to 7 pin round ones - these are VW approved, the flat ones will give you an error.
    We will shortly be supplying them with 7 pin round male plug free of charge and its easy to convert 7 pin flat to 7 pin round VW approved :
    http://jku.com.au/westfalia-vw-audi-7-pin-to-13-pin-towbar-electrics-adapter-oem-300100320113.html

These are watertight irrespectively connected or not so VW cannot void your warranty for trailer module if something goes pear shaped.
    edited April 2015
    So the loom is a 13 pin round that is then connected to a 13 pin to 7 pin round converter that I then need to convert to a 7 pin flat to use with normal Australian trailers??
  • FNQWillFNQWill Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    [MENTION=3041]liquidforce[/MENTION], do you do a 13 pin to 12 pin flat???
    I have asked VW Newcastle this and their response was "don't know"
    edited April 2015
    FNQWill wrote: »
    [MENTION=3041]liquidforce[/MENTION], do you do a 13 pin to 12 pin flat???
    I have asked VW Newcastle this and their response was "don't know"

the only 2 that are so called VW approved are 13 pin round which is the best for caravans or more power sources
    or 7 pin round large which is great for everyday user who wants to hook up any trailer.

Both are TUV approved and watertight and have longevity built into them. TUV is zi German equivalent to Australian standards, just harsher when it comes to quality.

We had a client with 12 pin flat which short circuited the module somehow and VW told him to bugger off after inspection their findings were that the plug on the adapter short circuited the module and fried it.

We supplied him a new module and wired the original 13 pin in a way that his brake controller and a fridge in the caravan were running off the original 13 pin round.
    edited May 2015
    The Module & wiring is $189 till the end of Financial Year guys, its a bargain
    Simple plug & play to 10 pin connector at the back and we can help you with coding if required.
  • TjaliWalpaTjaliWalpa Supporting Member
    edited May 2015
    The Module & wiring is $189 till the end of Financial Year guys, its a bargain
    Simple plug & play to 10 pin connector at the back and we can help you with coding if required.

Actually isn't that a 14 pin oval connector with two pins unused? Was when I last had mine apart to wire in a new 13 pin with 13 connectors so I could use pin 12 for brake controller.
    edited May 2015
    Its 13 pin round with 4 pins not used.
    We sometimes wire them for brake controller or fridge hook up for caravans or for a camera on a trailer on horse floats or others
    TjaliWalpa wrote: »
    Actually isn't that a 14 pin oval connector with two pins unused? Was when I last had mine apart to wire in a new 13 pin with 13 connectors so I could use pin 12 for brake controller.
    edited May 2015
    Its 13 pin round with 4 pins not used.
    We sometimes wire them for brake controller or fridge hook up for caravans or for a camera on a trailer on horse floats or others

Sorry, misunderstanding, I thought you were referring to the VW oval connector that is part of the vehicle loom. It has 14 pins but the VW loom I have only uses 12 of these and includes wires to the micro switch.
  • davedave Supporting Member
    edited May 2015
    TjaliWalpa wrote: »
    Sorry, misunderstanding, I thought you were referring to the VW oval connector that is part of the vehicle loom. It has 14 pins but the VW loom I have only uses 12 of these and includes wires to the micro switch.

That's interesting as MY11 uses 9 pins with 5 vacant. Haven't checked my MY14 but I would assume that it will be the same as yours.
  • CRallis89CRallis89 Junior Member
    edited May 2015
    So does this mean this kit does not require any wiring to the front of the vehicle? Only the plug at the rear under the tub?
    edited May 2015
    CRallis89 wrote: »
    So does this mean this kit does not require any wiring to the front of the vehicle? Only the plug at the rear under the tub?

Yes this is correct. Pretty much plug & play + coding.
    edited May 2015
    CRallis89 wrote: »

Others please correct if I'm wrong, but as I understand there is a control box to be fitted under dash (or somewhere) that plugs into existing socket, but yes, the loom to the back is there. Look at back of LH chassis rail for oval plug. This is where the short trailer loom plugs in. Then some work with VCDS (using Rosstech cable and software) to program the vehicle.

Too slow again.
    edited May 2015
    That's correct us well, plug in the module under the steering wheel, plugs are already there.
  • WinchyWinchy Forum Addict
    edited May 2015
    Fitted one of these yesterday. Brilliant bit of kit. Why the hell have I put up with the spliced in dodgy wiring for so long?[emoji37]
  • ArcticWolfArcticWolf Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    What if you have a boat trailer with a 7 pin flat plug? Will I have to change it to...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    edited June 2015
    You can do one of the 3 things:
    - use 13 pin male adapter and re-wire the boat - the easiest
    - use 13 pin to 7 pin flat adapter (we have a couple in stock at $49.50)
    - use 13 pin to 7 pin round (large) VW Westfalia adapter at $49.50 which comes with free 7 pin large round adapter and then you can re-wire the trailer to 7 pin round large.

ArcticWolf wrote: »
    What if you have a boat trailer with a 7 pin flat plug? Will I have to change it to...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 93_vector93_vector Member
    edited June 2015
    Can I ask, when this is installed. What's required with the coding? Is this something I could do myself with a ODD2 adapter and a laptop?
    edited June 2015
    93_vector wrote: »
    Can I ask, when this is installed. What's required with the coding? Is this something I could do myself with a ODD2 adapter and a laptop?

You need to have ODIS, VAS or VCDS to code the genuine VW module.

We have a new system for installations bookings. You can book direct via this LINK and the installer gets an email of what you want done and when you wish to do.

This saves time and makes it easier for the installer in your state to manage the workload and get the info he needs to quote the job.
    edited June 2015
    You can do one of the 3 things:
    - use 13 pin male adapter and re-wire the boat - the easiest
    - use 13 pin to 7 pin flat adapter (we have a couple in stock at $49.50)
    - use 13 pin to 7 pin round (large) VW Westfalia adapter at $49.50 which comes with free 7 pin large round adapter and then you can re-wire the trailer to 7 pin round large.
    [MENTION=3041]liquidforce[/MENTION] I'm after one of the 13 pin to 7 pin flat adapters. Do you have a link? A while ago I purchased the westfalia loom and the 13 pin to 7 pin round large adapter from you. The loom is installed and great. I have never used the 7pin round large adapter and never will - my trailers are all using 13 pin now, and friends and family trailers that I need to borrow from time to time is 7 pin flat.

Any chance I can swap the 7 pin round large adapter for the 7 pin flat adapter?
    edited June 2015
    n_green wrote: »
    [MENTION=3041]liquidforce[/MENTION] I'm after one of the 13 pin to 7 pin flat adapters. Do you have a link? A while ago I purchased the westfalia loom and the 13 pin to 7 pin round large adapter from you. The loom is installed and great. I have never used the 7pin round large adapter and never will - my trailers are all using 13 pin now, and friends and family trailers that I need to borrow from time to time is 7 pin flat.

Any chance I can swap the 7 pin round large adapter for the 7 pin flat adapter?

Send us a quick email will see what can be done.
    edited June 2015
    We have taken a couple of photos from Tow bar & module we installed today. The tow bar is a high line version, fully detachable at a turn of a key so it looks a bit weird to some of yous probably. This time the factory plugs under the steering wheel required CAN wiring to be run to the CECM.
    First car we had like this that Zi Germans did not connect it up as normal.
    KAUXgL.jpg
    A5mLaO.jpg
    qd0K78.jpg
    vRBOHG.jpg
    fcDodc.jpg
    rO2pLF.jpg
    sUE40U.jpg
    Mad2QM.jpg
    edited June 2015
    [MENTION=3041]liquidforce[/MENTION]. What's your opinion of the Westfalia loom and tow bar as opposed to VW's OEM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edited June 2015
    Vw buys their looms from westfalia. They are excatly the same item. Westfalia ones have LED compatibility as they have fresh production dates.
    edited June 2015
    Thanks[MENTION=3041]liquidforce[/MENTION]. If VW purchase the looms from Westfalia why has there been all this fuss over other owners having to purchase a separate junction box to make the loom LED compatible?
    Has VW seen the error of there ways and now supplying LED compatible looms? Can you choose to fit an OEM VW towbar with the Westfalia loom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edited June 2015
    Vw looms were ordered 2011/12 from Westfalia and were made to a set of specifications back then. Westfalia upgraded the looms in 2014 to be led compatible. If one puts 2 modules next to each other they look identical. I have to take a photo when we get to work on Monday