90 degree sump plug

ZeeZee Senior Member
edited September 2017 in Fuel and Oil
Changed over the std vw sump plug to a 90 fitting on my last service.
As you can see from the pics it aligns so that exiting oil flows in between the rails of the stock bash plate and straight down into the drain tray rather than deflecting off the rails and splashing hot old oil all over the bash plate and your garaged floor, not to mention making out that your rok has an oil leak when the oil flows into the rails.

It's been on the car for a week and I've had no issues with it yet.
It's a pirtek fitting I found at work, so I don't have a part no. yet but I'll endeavor to source it for yas if interested. I'm sure if you took the photo to your local hydraulic fittings supplier and your sump plug you'd be able to match it up ...not an uncommon fitting.

Hope it helps yous out. Cheers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406286485.647620.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406286509.195770.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406286566.837040.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406286582.847159.jpg

Called a
Banjo Coupling
P/N: DSVW-10LM 14x1.5

And Blanking Plug
P/N: BUZ-10L/S

Courtesy of MarkV (thank you) - Tube Nut' part number M-10L

Comments

• Holy MackerelHoly Mackerel Member
    edited July 2014
    Nice work Zee, I spent way too long mopping up all the oil that splashed everywhere like you described when I dumped the oil on my Rok at 5K.
    Will definitely track one of these down as I like to dump the oil every 5K in a diesel... 15K way too long in my humble opinion as per VW specs.

Were you able to reset the change oil dash warning ?
    Mine is back on and warning to change oil every time I start or switch off even after doing the double button hold down reset ????
    Any ideas ?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    For what ever reason mine doesn't come up with service reminder and I'm up to 30k kms.

There is a thread on here about resetting it. Try a search, it in here somewhere.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Called a
    Banjo Coupling

And Blanking Plug

Courtesy of MarkV - Tube Nut' part number M-10L
  • ScotRokScotRok Supporting Member
    edited August 2014
  • WinchyWinchy Forum Addict
    edited December 2014
    I did read on here somewhere that a few were using the Fumoto drain valve. I understand that an extension piece is needed too as the sump plug is recessed.
    I've done the homework (please correct me if it's wrong) and the valve part# is F-106S (short nipple) and extension/adapter part# is ADL 106 (25mm) or ADP 106 (standard) This is to replace the Sump plug M14 x 1.5 thread.
    Question to those that have them, are they still going strong and would you recommend? Or should I just stay with the standard messy sump plug. I change the oil every 7,500k or 6 months and am jack of the PITA access with the bash plate.
  • harderrokharderrok Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    xmas2014 015.jpg DES. Here is my fumoto after 38000kms.they come with fibre washers,no leaks.put a bit of plastic tube when draining,sure beats the cut down coke bottle.
    i cant recall the part no.s but got them off the forum somewhere.you do need the extension.thumbs up from me.
    Winchy wrote: »
    I did read on here somewhere that a few were using the Fumoto drain valve. I understand that an extension piece is needed too as the sump plug is recessed.
    I've done the homework (please correct me if it's wrong) and the valve part# is F-106S (short nipple) and extension/adapter part# is ADL 106 (25mm) or ADP 106 (standard) This is to replace the Sump plug M14 x 1.5 thread.
    Question to those that have them, are they still going strong and would you recommend? Or should I just stay with the standard messy sump plug. I change the oil every 7,500k or 6 months and am jack of the PITA access with the bash plate.
    edited December 2014
    Cheers [MENTION=2917]harderrok[/MENTION]! Think I'll invest. Just over $50 delivered, don't think I can go wrong. It hasn't been discussed much of late so thought I'd check. Thanks mate. See you at the ACQ meet.
  • snapsimosnapsimo Supporting Member
    edited December 2014
    [MENTION=2939]Winchy[/MENTION] when you figure out the part numbers required can you post them up here. [emoji3]

ACV Eastside Massive!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    edited December 2014
    Sure will mate. I'm ordering the ones stated in the above post, ( the short nipple and 25mm adapter) Hope they're the right ones.
    edited December 2014
    fumoto valve part no.s i used
    F106N
    EXT. 15MM ADP 106
    EXT. 25MM ADL 106
    edited December 2014
    Great [emoji3] thank mate

ACV Eastside Massive!!!

edited December 2014
    harderrok wrote: »
    fumoto valve part no.s i used
    F106N
    EXT. 15MM ADP 106
    EXT. 25MM ADL 106
    You used both 15 and 25mm extensions? Or can you get away with just the 25mm?
    edited December 2014
    You used both 15 and 25mm extensions? Or can you get away with just the 25mm?

I used both. otherwise there is clearance issues fitting and operating the valve
  • davedave Supporting Member
    edited December 2014
    [MENTION=2939]Winchy[/MENTION], why do need one of these?
    I thought the engines were "sealed for life". [emoji12][emoji774][emoji776]

"You don't know what you don't know"

Cheers dave
    edited December 2014
    harderrok wrote: »
    xmas2014 015.jpg DES. Here is my fumoto after 38000kms.they come with fibre washers,no leaks.put a bit of plastic tube when draining,sure beats the cut down coke bottle.
    i cant recall the part no.s but got them off the forum somewhere.you do need the extension.thumbs up from me.

Is yours an auto? I just changed the oil on my manual and the bung was forward of the cross member but yours appears to be on top of.

Cheers dave
    edited December 2014
    Thanks [MENTION=2917]harderrok[/MENTION], saved me some drama there. [MENTION=190]dave[/MENTION], it mightn't be that well known but it's been proven that regular engine oil changes omit the need for an engine transplant every 3 or so years[emoji38]
    edited December 2014
    Thanks [MENTION=2917]harderrok[/MENTION], saved me some drama there. [MENTION=190]dave[/MENTION], it mightn't be that well known but it's been proven that regular engine oil changes omit the need for an engine transplant every 3 or so years[emoji38]

Doh!!!!! now you tell me. :blush::dodgy:
    edited December 2014
    Bad camera angle [MENTION=190]dave[/MENTION] due to 99 bottles of beer..... 01/11 manual
    edited January 2015
    All arrived. Just waiting to do my next service.
    Good quality gear, and if you look at the big picture, money and time in the bank.
    Thanks [MENTION=2917]harderrok[/MENTION] for your help.
    I did however get the short nipple valve and they automatically supply the plastic nipple extension.
    da866a1b83b05aa969e380b6addcdc22.jpg
    edited January 2015
    LOL salesman....Jack chan
    edited January 2015
    Ha ha! You noticed too!
    I told the missus I don't mind that actor Jacky Chan..Nice bloke. I just bought some stuff off of him.
    She just gave me that 'you idiot' look.
    All normal[emoji38]
    edited January 2015
    You too??? I get that all the time, maybe our wives know each other [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

ACV Eastside Massive!!!

edited January 2015
    All fitted. 26acb08ae883f4e099b336d769f2f311.jpg
    Small cable tie to stop accidental opening, and a 10 mm chair leg rubber to stop any crap getting into the nippledc283bf33ef7fef9cbe0617bbb11406d.jpg
    edited January 2015
    What combination did you get Des?

If went again would you get the same or the longer nipple?

Cheers dave
    edited January 2015
    F106S valve short nipple,
    SH10 socket for short nipple,
    ADP106 14mm-1.5 adaptor,
    ADL106 14mm-1.5 adaptor (long)
    Long one next to sump for ease of installation.
    I went for the short nipple Dave, thinking the less outcrop the better, but I really don't think it'd make much difference.
    edited April 2015
    Had to do a sneaky oil change at a van park.
    First oil drain with the Fumoto valve.
    Super quick/clean/easy!
    Money well spent:D:D
  • MarkVMarkV Supporting Member
    edited June 2015
    Zee wrote: »
    Called a
    Banjo Coupling

And Blanking Plug
    [MENTION=99]Zee[/MENTION] Just an update to this. I ordered these part numbers from Pirtek last week and when I went to pick them up here was only the Banjo fitting to replace the sump plug and the part to go into the outlet called the blanking plug. The bit to hold the blanking plug in was missing. I was told that I hadn't ordered it.

So, Zee's part numbers are correct, but you need to order a 'Tube Nut' part number M-10L

Total cost was $40.02. Most of it the Banjo coupling at $32.35. Fitting it today.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Very good
    Mine came as pictured with those numbers. Did you get the seals/orings or were they separated as well?
  • MarkVMarkV Supporting Member
    edited June 2015
    [MENTION=99]Zee[/MENTION] All the bits were put together with all the seals/O rings. Very easy install, and central to the rails. I assume that the oil flow will be considerably less than having the sump plug removed, as the orifice is much smaller, but for the convenience and lack of mess, it's a small price to pay.
    [MENTION=190]dave[/MENTION] This device was only 4 threads shorter than the original sump plug....

20150626_130547.jpg
  • ZeeZee Senior Member
    edited June 2015
    Yep and once preliminary drainage has ceased you can then remove the banjo component and drain the little that remains. Probably amount to <150mL. Glad it worked out for ya.
    Cheers