New steering wheel

13»

Comments

• Mad MalMad Mal Junior Member
    edited March 2014
    Just a fluke, I have been told that you may need a wiring harness for it to work, but I just fitted it and hoped for the best and they work.
    Not saying that it will work on all autos, I have a my13 Highline
  • KtmKtm Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    I've got the same. Might look into getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • bauercobauerco Vendor
    edited March 2014
    Mad Mal wrote: »
    Yeh I read somewhere that it can freeze or jamb the dash display with both stalk and r/h buttons connected,you need to disconnect three wires from the stalk. Pics coming , its pretty cool fun with paddle shift with Chris tune and pedal box , makes you drive like a P plater :)

Hi mal,
    My right hand buttons work fine without locking up the mfd, just if you touch the buttons on the stalk it becomes the dominant input, but once the ignition is turned of & then on again the steering controls go back to being the main input.
    Great work though in sorting out which wires to cut. I've got a manual but I'm gonna see if I can re task my paddles to do something else, like maybe high beam some spotties.

Mark
    Net 4x4
    www.net4x4.com.au
    sales@net4x4.com.au
    Amarok Club of Victoria
    MY12 Reflex Silver Highline
    94 F250 Supacab 7.5lt 6" suspension lift 3" body lift
  • SamboSambo Forum Addict
    edited March 2014
    Bastards, my left hand controls all those functions. Stupid steering wheel ... grumble..moan.

Sambo - Amarok Club of Victoria
    MY11 Candy White, Manual Highline. 100,000+ klm. VIC Eastern Suburbs.
  • AmaraukAmarauk Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Very nice uppgrades!!
    Could anyone pleese tell me how to remove the plastic trimmings around the control buttons on the steering wheel?
    I´d like to paint them red (plastidip) to match my seats.......
  • bauercobauerco Vendor
    edited March 2014
    Amarauk wrote: »
    Very nice uppgrades!!
    Could anyone pleese tell me how to remove the plastic trimmings around the control buttons on the steering wheel?
    I´d like to paint them red (plastidip) to match my seats.......

To remove the plastic trim & buttons from the steering you need to remove the airbag first.
    6aze2ury.jpg

Mark
    Net 4x4
    www.net4x4.com.au
    sales@net4x4.com.au

Amarok Club of Victoria
    MY12 Reflex Silver Highline
    94 F250 Supacab 7.5lt 6" suspension lift 3" body lift
  • AmaraukAmarauk Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Ah Ha! Thank you!!
  • KtmKtm Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Mad Mal wrote: »
    Just a fluke, I have been told that you may need a wiring harness for it to work, but I just fitted it and hoped for the best and they work.
    Not saying that it will work on all autos, I have a my13 Highline

Mal, did you need any coding for it to work? Confirm for me that you just needed the new MFSW with an airbag? Thanks.

• RooRoo Posting Freak
    edited March 2014
    Ktm wrote: »
    Mal, did you need any coding for it to work? Confirm for me that you just needed the new MFSW with an airbag? Thanks.

Hi Ktm. I'm doing this mod at the moment. I can confirm so far:
    1. The wheels are the same diameter except for the flat spot on the bottom
    2. I've had the GTI wheel on and plugged my Amarok airbag in and the functions worked!
    3. You'll need a 12mm star shaped bit to undo the steering wheel bolt
    4. The Amarok airbag IS different so you'll need a golf one to match the wheel. I'm waiting for mine to turn up and then I'll confirm the part number and that the wiring works.

I'll update on this thread...
  • KtmKtm Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    Roo wrote: »
    Hi Ktm. I'm doing this mod at the moment. I can confirm so far:
    1. The wheels are the same diameter except for the flat spot on the bottom
    2. I've had the GTI wheel on and plugged my Amarok airbag in and the functions worked!
    3. You'll need a 12mm star shaped bit to undo the steering wheel bolt
    4. The Amarok airbag IS different so you'll need a golf one to match the wheel. I'm waiting for mine to turn up and then I'll confirm the part number and that the wiring works.

I'll update on this thread...

Thanks Roo. My wife has a GTD with DSG so I'm thinking I'll try her wheel on the Rok before I fork out the $ on a new wheel. Main reason I'm doing it is for the paddles on the beach - mines an MY13 Highline Auto.

• Mad MalMad Mal Junior Member
    edited March 2014
    Ktm wrote: »

Hi Ktm, Mine was already coded, I remember seeing it when using vcds cable last year. So yes it may need to be coded.
  • TransporterTransporter Member
    edited March 2014
    Rokcam wrote: »
    Paddle shift sound good, might save me banging it into neutral when i think i'm in tip mode and having the Ultra guage beeping that i'm over the RPM limit near red line.. The auto should have had a lock gate between D and N i reckon.

Yes, it's very annoying. It probably doesn't do it in RHD Amaroks.
  • Millsy72Millsy72 Junior Member
    edited March 2014
    Was James your salesman?
  • crazychester5crazychester5 Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    What sort of money we looking at for the wheel and airbag guys ?
  • ShonkyboyShonkyboy Supporting Member
    edited April 2014
    I just installed the RHS steering wheel controls. Took 5min with no coding. I brought them as a pair on ebay for $50 from China. They look identical to the original one, including ID stickers & numbers. My guess is that they all came from the same factory.
    Now to work out how to shift the cruse controls to the RHS wheel buttons. I hate them on the stick!!!

IMG_2089.jpgIMG_2092.jpg
  • DrewDrew Super Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Got a link for eBay, [MENTION=3462]Shonkyboy[/MENTION]?

What do they do once installed?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    edited April 2014
    Hey Drew, it takes the place of the up/down & the underneath button on the RHS stalk. Also has the 2 odometer buttons on the dash.
    Haven't had a chance to play with it too much. Will post an update tomorrow.

ebay Link:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121204183978
    edited April 2014
    Thanks mate... Does the back button work with the radio?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    edited April 2014
    Hey Drew, the back button doesn't seem to do anything with my RCD510. The only screen that shows a back symbol is the Settings page, but the button doesn't activate it.
    Cheers
  • Rasmus7Rasmus7 Supporting Member
    edited April 2014
    I've seen a website in the UK that has fitted Golf steering wheels to older Roks and somehow got the steering wheel controls to work. Does anyone know if this mod (switches) would work with older Roks without steering wheel controls. Is the loom installed in the older builds but not active?
    Shonkyboy wrote: »
    Hey Drew, it takes the place of the up/down & the underneath button on the RHS stalk. Also has the 2 odometer buttons on the dash.
    Haven't had a chance to play with it too much. Will post an update tomorrow.

ebay Link:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121204183978
  • moses_dxmoses_dx Member
    edited June 2015
    hi there, I have a 2014 amarok without mfsw, I want to replace it, since it looks terrible. I'm not planning to put an R-line wheel, since this is not electromecanical steering as most vag are. Do I need to replace the airbag ring in order to get the functionality of LH buttons? I don't have MFD, so I don't think I'll look into it too much, unless I replace dash. Looking forwar for your input
  • mrsteelmrsteel Junior Member
    edited June 2015
    Howdy, I'm thinking a similiar thing about my 2012 Trendline - the plastic wheel looks terrible!
    Going for a simple replacement though: http://hazzydayz.com/mk7-flat-bottom-steering-wheel-and-airbag---supply--fit-4685-p.asp
    Don't have to deal with any wiring issues, and hopefully that price will be even cheaper without "professional installation".
  • moses_dxmoses_dx Member
    edited June 2015
    I've retrofitted an r-line steering wheel in a tiguan without mfsw before. There were lots of information and guides about that, nothing of that I can find for amarok, so I'm at a loose end about this case
  • Jacques JansenJacques Jansen Junior Member
    edited May 2018
    I know this is an old thread but I am interested in fitting a Gti 7 steering wheel to my Amarok. Can the Amarok airbag be retrofitted to the GTI steering wheel or do you need the GTI airbag as well
    Thanks
    edited May 2018
    You need the airbag that fits the wheel... Pretty sure the GTI steering wheel is a different shape to the Amarok one... Your parts department would be able to tell you

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk