Tyre Poke - Questions and Info

VolkarokVolkarok Banned
edited April 2016 in Wheel's and Tyre's
The other day i got my trusty stanley fat max spirit level and put it against my wheel arches to see where the outside of the tyres sit in relation to them.

On both sides at the front the outside of the tops of the tyres were 13mm inside the wheel arches. On the back one side was 23mm and the other 3mm. It is possible that was due to flex. I choose to make an average of those which is 13mm, same as at the front.

Since we know my tyres and wheels are 245/70R16 with +62mm offset, and i have no flares, and since we know how much each type of flare adds, we can easily calculate the poke for any combination as long as we know the pertinent details.

Comments

• VolkarokVolkarok Banned
    edited July 2014
    For example, i will calculate for a 275/70R18 fitted to delta 18x9 +20mm rims with std flares.

The offset creates 62 - 20 = 42mm more poke.
    The tyres create 275 - 245 ÷ 2 = 15mm more poke.
    Total increase in poke is 57mm.
    Std flares reduce poke by 25mm.
    Therefore net increase in poke is 57 - 25 = 32mm.
    Since there is a 13mm gap, 32 - 13 = 19mm of poke.
  • dalmacija91dalmacija91 Forum Slave
    edited July 2014
    You may find that your tub is off centre, causing the discrepancy in measurements.
  • Lance BLance B Supporting Member
    edited July 2014
    20mm seems a huge discrepancy between one side and the other! Put your car on level ground and use a plumb bob - a piece of string with a weight on it, and rest it on the guard dropping it over the centre of the wheel hub. Then measure from the string to the tyre wall. The difference between sides on my Amarok is about 2-3mm and this was confirmed when I had a loan Amarok and it was exactly the same.

Your calculations above seem correct, but the rim width will also have a small impact on the "bag" of the tyre and where it actually sits.
    edited July 2014
    I should of course have done it on a level slab.

But i rested the bottom of the spirit level against the bulge of the lower part of the tyre and shifted up and down until a good spirit reading was reached. Was then easy to measure off to the upper part of the tyre. Better than plumb bob i reckon.
    edited July 2014
    If i fitted aldos with 265/70 to my non flare car the tyre poke would be:
    Offset 62 - 49 = +13mm
    Sidewall 265 - 245 ÷ 2 = +10mm
    OE poke = -13mm
    Total poke +13 +10 -13 = +10mm
    I dont think plod would defect that, and the tread would not poke.

Or i could fit 17x8 +47mm BMW and have +12mm of poke.

Or i could fit 16x7 +47mm BMW with 265/75 and also have +12mm poke.
  • davedave Supporting Member
    edited July 2014
    Volkarok wrote: »
    If i fitted aldos with 265/70 to my non flare car the tyre poke would be:
    Offset 62 - 49 = +13mm
    Sidewall 265 - 245 ÷ 2 = +10mm
    OE poke = -13mm
    Total poke +13 +10 -13 = +10mm
    I dont think plod would defect that, and the tread would not poke.

Or i could fit 17x8 +47mm BMW and have +12mm of poke.

Or i could fit 16x7 +47mm BMW with 265/75 and also have +12mm poke.

You may have to also factor in the different rim width as a 8" will push the tyre out further than a 6.5" or 7" even if the all the off-sets are the same.
    edited July 2014
    If i modify those figures to account for the different tyre width to rim width relationships, i get:
    Aldo 265/70R17x8 = +13mm poke.
    BMW 265/70R17x8 = +15mm poke.
    BMW 265/75R16x7 = +11mm poke.
    I am assuming that the outermost part of the sidewall is approximately 2/3 of the way up the sidewall, meaning that say a 9mm variation at the bead equates to a 3mm difference in sidewall poke.

But since the tread location isnt affected this could be considered to present a distorted perspective.

At the end of the day there is tread poke and there is sidewall poke, and one combo may be more in one and less in the other. Since the law cares about the sidewall the most it could be argued we favour that, but since safety cares about the tread the most it could be argued we favour that.
    edited July 2014
    A 8" rim will poke out 12.mm further than a 7" rim that has the same offset because offset is measured from the centre line of the rim.
    So thread/sidewall location is directly relevant to rim location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edited July 2014
    Part of me is saying go the aldo for the load rating, better resale, volks rims on a volks car, less hassles, age appropriate.

Another part says go bmw for cheaper, different look, lighter, a tad more clearance from scrubbing, could blacken them which also counters age significantly.

In the case of the 16x7 i get better offroad ability but worse on road. Shame i cant get 16x8 as that would probably finalise all decisions.
    edited July 2014
    dave wrote: »
    A 8" rim will poke out 25mm further than a 7" rim that has the same offset because offset is measured from the centre line of the rim.
    An 8" rim will poke out 1/2" further than a 7" rim with the same offset [precisely because offset is measured from the centreline of the rim (to the mounting face)].
    edited July 2014
    I'm in a hurry, yes you are right, I did have that but silly me changed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edited July 2014
    I did some research on bmw rims and some of the 16x7 3series rims are heavier than one of the popular 17x7.5 X5 rims. Go figure on a strength comparison. Maybe the X5 is forged or a miraculously better design, but i dont think so, and being larger and lighter and significantly stronger with a similar material is not so likely.
  • Amarok1985Amarok1985 Junior Member
    edited October 2014
    Hi all, just purchased bush whacker flares for my base model amarok (none flare version), what offset wheels would suit them? I'm thinking a +20 but would this still be legal? What is the biggest tyre size I can go that is semi legal and won't scrub of hit the suspension nut, I have also added 30mm spring lift on the front if that makes a difference...
  • SteevoSteevo Super Moderator
    edited October 2014
    [MENTION=5216]Amarok1985[/MENTION], there's some additional info here.

Cheers

Steve
    edited October 2014
    Amarok1985 wrote: »
    Hi all, just purchased bush whacker flares for my base model amarok (none flare version), what offset wheels would suit them? I'm thinking a +20 but would this still be legal? What is the biggest tyre size I can go that is semi legal and won't scrub of hit the suspension nut, I have also added 30mm spring lift on the front if that makes a difference...
    Thats a lot of questions, maybe you should do a tad more reading first.

You might learn some more by checking out my ride "Volkarok's Mini Monster".
    edited October 2014
    Further to that, i actually scratched my rims the other day going over a fairly extreme boulder garden. I was originally looking for 8.5" wide rims but found 9". Next time i would consider 8.5" or 8" with 285's.

If you are really serious consider 285/75 on 16x8 p30 dynamics.

Or if you wont be running heavy and you drive sensibly, there is almost any size you want in bmw rims. They are often light which keeps the unsprung weight low, which improves comfort and handling.
  • Amarok1985Amarok1985 Junior Member
    edited October 2014
    Thats a lot of questions, maybe you should do a tad more reading first.

You might learn some more by checking out my ride "Volkarok's Mini Monster".

Was only 2 questions and I have done a lot of reading and found the information was quite conflicting which is why i thought i would ask the question right out and see if some matching answers would appear.
    edited October 2014
    Amarok1985 wrote: »
    Was only 2 questions and I have done a lot of reading and found the information was quite conflicting which is why i thought i would ask the question right out and see if some matching answers would appear.
    To know about legalities you need to check out your state laws.
  • bauercobauerco Vendor
    edited October 2014
    Lol, that's a good one, if you won't be running heavy.
    I run 16" bemmer wheels & I run mine heavy as hell like heaps of guys on here, never given me a day of problem. Checkout the Cobaw thread. http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6147
    Further to that, i actually scratched my rims the other day going over a fairly extreme boulder garden. I was originally looking for 8.5" wide rims but found 9". Next time i would consider 8.5" or 8" with 285's.

If you are really serious consider 285/75 on 16x8 p30 dynamics.

Or if you wont be running heavy and you drive sensibly, there is almost any size you want in bmw rims. They are often light which keeps the unsprung weight low, which improves comfort and handling.

Mark
    Net 4x4
    www.net4x4.com.au
    sales@net4x4.com.au

Amarok Club of Victoria
    MY12 Reflex Silver Highline with
    Lots of custom mods.
    edited October 2014
    The information isnt as conflicted as it first appears. Its just a very complex topic. There is heaps that can be learnt here.
    edited October 2014
    bauerco wrote: »
    Lol, that's a good one, if you won't be running heavy.
    I run 16" bemmer wheels & I run mine heavy as hell like heaps of guys on here, never given me a day of problem. Checkout the Cobaw thread. http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6147
    Ha!

I was being a bit conservative seeing as i don't have personal experience in that area, and some bmw rims would unquestionably be weaker at least in some respects than some aftermarket rated rims.

When bmw rims were mentioned a few months ago, there was a lot of people poo poo-ing their lack of load rating. Don't want to upset them too much.

Oh. Now i might check out your link.
    edited October 2014
    If calculations are made from the Trendline as a baseline, it is easy to calculate for any type of amarok, any type of rim, any type of tyre, and any type of flare or lack thereof.

The Trendline comes standard with 245/70 tyres on the Taruma rim, which are 16"
  • JasKylzJasKylz Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Trendline No Flares = -13mm
    Speedy Yukon 17x8 (42 Offset) +20mm = +7mm
    265/65 +10mm = +17mm

Pretty damn close me thinks!

Almost need to go bigger when I get the Wolf4x4 flares :idea: ;)
    edited October 2014
    JasKylz wrote: »
    Trendline No Flares = -13mm
    Speedy Yukon 17x8 (42 Offset) +20mm = +7mm
    265/65 +10mm = +17mm

Pretty damn close me thinks!

Almost need to go bigger when I get the Wolf4x4 flares :idea: ;)
    Looks good. Can you post a good poke photo?

Bushwackers? They would swamp your combo with an extra -45mm poke factor : (

Even if you could fit a 275/70 or 285/65 you would still have a lot of neg poke with bushwackers, although the latter might look okay.
  • JasKylzJasKylz Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Will do [MENTION=4406]Volkarok[/MENTION], when I remember.

Nah looking at the OEM style flares.
  • fossROKfossROK Supporting Member
    edited October 2014
    My wife always underestimates poke....

Matt
    edited October 2014
    fossROK wrote: »
    My wife always underestimates poke....

Matt
    Sometimes there can be a surprising amount of bulge to accommodate.
    edited November 2014
    235/85R16 - 32" - No flares, no poke.
    265/75R16 - 32" - No flares, some poke.

255/85R16 - 33" - OE flares, no poke.
    285/75R16 - 33" - OE flares, some poke.

285/75R16 - 33" - Bushwacker flares, no poke.
    305/70R16 - 33" - Bushwacker flares, some poke.
  • AYWW01FAYWW01F Junior Member
    edited November 2014
    265/50/20 installed last week on MY14 trendline (no flares yet) - good 4-5cm of 'poke'. :p
    edited November 2014
    AYWW01F wrote: »
    265/50/20 installed last week on MY14 trendline (no flares yet) - good 4-5cm of 'poke'. :p
    Ooh, i cant see your pics for some reason?