Changed gearbox oil- 75-85

CRISPMODSCRISPMODS Vendor
edited April 2017 in Drivetrain and 4wd System
dropped 1.9 liters of 75-85 Penrite full synth in my gearbox today.

Noticed slightly nicer gear changes, probably less work on synchro more than anything.

Also ran a magnet over the old oil and there was some iron in there.

Found that tilting the nose of the car slightly down hill gave it about the right amount to hit that sweet spot where its over 1.8 liters but under 2.0 liters on the overfill.

Thanks to Steve at Coolum Auto's up in Sunshine coast for the advice!

Comments

• WinchyWinchy Forum Addict
    edited May 2015
    How's the gearbox going [MENTION=2925]Crispmods[/MENTION]?
    I'll be changing gear box and diff oils next weekend.
    Don't wanna pay the exorbitant VW prices as well as liking Penrite oil.
    Guessing the rear diff oil will have to be factory though..
  • CRISPMODSCRISPMODS Vendor
    edited May 2015
    Yeah its a great car... Can't fault it after 135k
  • googoo Forum Slave
    edited May 2015
    Where can you source it from? I have had a look a few times but struggle to find synthetic oil, let alone 75-85
  • Marshall8hpMarshall8hp Member
    edited May 2015
    Supercheap carry Penrite.
  • steveiehsteveieh Posting Freak
    edited May 2015
    no worries [MENTION=2925]Crispmods[/MENTION], you can get the oil for gbox and diff pretty much anywhere now, penrite are always ahead of the pack in guaranteeing their oil meets or exceeds manufacturer specs, a lot of the other oil manufacturers are either bound by copyright or too scared.
  • EdwinPEdwinP Forum Slave
    edited May 2015
    steveieh wrote: »
    no worries [MENTION=2925]Crispmods[/MENTION], you can get the oil for gbox and diff pretty much anywhere now, penrite are always ahead of the pack in guaranteeing their oil meets or exceeds manufacturer specs, a lot of the other oil manufacturers are either bound by copyright or too scared.
    What are the VW specs to look out for when selecting a gearbox oil?
  • SimonnessSimonness Posting Freak
    edited April 2017
    hi all,

about to replace my gearbox oil with Penrite Pro Gear Full Synthetic 75w85 oil.

i dumped the old oil but got 4L of oil out ( i did get the box rebuilt) but remember Crispmods only used 1.9L of oil.

Whats the go here, do i just top it up til it flows out of the top hole? hmmmm

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
  • CraziRokCraziRok Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Simonness wrote: »
    hi all,

about to replace my gearbox oil with Penrite Pro Gear Full Synthetic 75w85 oil.

i dumped the old oil but got 4L of oil out ( i did get the box rebuilt) but remember Crispmods only used 1.9L of oil.

Whats the go here, do i just top it up til it flows out of the top hole? hmmmm

Yes, fill it until it starts dripping out the filler (top) hole

I think Crispmods only drained 1.8 litres by parking the vehicle on a downhill slope to raise the drain plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • SimonnessSimonness Posting Freak
    edited April 2017
    yep that is what I've done. dont know how they managed to fill 4L worth of oil that i drained.

• DavrokDavrok Junior Member

Changed the gearbox oil at 200,000 ks no change in smoothness since new. I changed it because the diff whined and thought the gearbox might do the same.

rebuilt the diff at the same time, with 4 new bearings. This stopped the slight whine which annoyed me. All good now. The vehicle has had an easy life, except for Simpson crossing at 250,000ks. The running gear gets a work out in low range up sand dunes

love my Amarok SC/C , now 270,000 ks