Fanbelt spagetti

brookes2622brookes2622 Supporting Member
So driving home along Oaks Estate Road I lost all power steering and the ALT light came on. I pulled over and lifted the hood to this:

20130922_142958_zps1c245f94.jpg

I then extracted the remnants and this is the old fanbelt:

20130922_160241_zps48caa369.jpg

Lot of messing about and I ended up having to send the car to Lennock :( especially when the car is booked to have the CV replaced at Slaven tomorrow anyway. There was not convincing the VW assist folk not no how not never!

I was very impressed that four people stopped to help (none of them Amaroks even though 3 went past).

So I have a rental car which is helpful, but it's a Mitsubishi ASX which was test and in comparison with all other vehicles of it's type has the interior constructed from the most toxic products.

Comments

• SteevoSteevo Super Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Ohh man, what a mess.

Bit disappointed in those Rok drivers just sailing on by.

What's the deal with not taking it where you want it to go?
  • bauercobauerco Vendor
    edited September 2013
    That's a right old mess isn't it.
    How many cliks on it & did it give you any warning before it let go?

Mark

Amarok Club of Victoria
    MY12 Reflex Silver Highline
    94 F250 Supacab 7.5lt 6" suspension lift 3" body lift
  • Scorp69Scorp69 Supporting Member
    edited September 2013
    Bummer...sorry to hear it dude. Hope it gets fixed soon.
  • brookes2622brookes2622 Supporting Member
    edited September 2013
    Steevo wrote: »
    Ohh man, what a mess.

Bit disappointed in those Rok drivers just sailing on by.

What's the deal with not taking it where you want it to go?

Yeah they will only take it to the nearest dealer as they determine. If you want to take it elsewhere you pay. Period. If you pay then no rental either. I got all the details and had to send the car where I didn't want to, then got a call say I could and when the towie arrived I thought best to ring them again and no cant take it where I wanted. So very very inconvenient and two days off the road rather then one not to mention I might have to wait for another booking for the CV.
    bauerco wrote: »
    That's a right old mess isn't it.
    How many cliks on it & did it give you any warning before it let go?

Mark

Amarok Club of Victoria
    MY12 Reflex Silver Highline
    94 F250 Supacab 7.5lt 6" suspension lift 3" body lift

No real hints but the belt has been a bit noisy for weeks. I was going to get the 75k service done when they do the CV tomorrow, so not that old. I will be buying a spare.
    Scorp69 wrote: »
    Bummer...sorry to hear it dude. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Thanks. In the hands of your mates at Lennock. We'll see.
    edited September 2013
    If you're speaking to them tomorrow ask to talk to Warren, and mention me bro...he will go the 'extra mile' for you...;)
  • SamboSambo Forum Addict
    edited September 2013
    I have said it before and now again. These engine belts need to be changed at 60,000 service. End of story.

Sambo - Amarok Club of Victoria
    MY11 Candy White, Manual Highline. 80,000k
    Eastern suburbs, VIC.
  • davedave Supporting Member
    edited September 2013
    At least if it had broken at Capertee I could have given you a spare from behind my rear seat (or engine as it wasn't going anywhere).

Then you would have been obliged to lend me you fuel pump. lol :D
  • flyingantflyingant Posting Freak
    edited September 2013
    Sambo wrote: »
    I have said it before and now again. These engine belts need to be changed at 60,000 service. End of story.

Sambo - Amarok Club of Victoria
    MY11 Candy White, Manual Highline. 80,000k
    Eastern suburbs, VIC.

No, they need to be changed when they get noisy or 60k whichever comes first. Mine was stuffed at 48k.

A noisy multi acc belt will trigger VW to fit the updated timing belt cover also.

Anthony

MY11 Highline VTech tuned
    edited September 2013
    Hi Brookes/Stefan, great to hear that you got your Rok back on Tues arvo after 2 days at Lennock, and good to hear that Warren was a big help. Did you end up buying a spare belt?...if so how much?...part number?
  • brookes2622brookes2622 Supporting Member
    edited September 2013
    Yeah sorry @scorp69 but they were out of stock so I never got a price or part number. I got the last one but I do intent to carry a spare from now on.
  • ozcaddyozcaddy Supporting Member
    edited September 2013
    Fanbelt part no = 03L 109 147D
    Thats the number on the Etka
    Also the Etka now shows 2014 model Amarok
    edited September 2013
    Great stuff...thanks Oz. I am going to order a spare to keep with the tools.
    edited September 2013
    ozcaddy wrote: »

Oz, not too familiar with that ETKA thing. Is it similar to when you click on 'CarProg2' when you open this link? http://ifinterface.com/page/page3.php?langid=1
    edited October 2013
    ozcaddy wrote: »

Hi Oz, I know you are in Scotland still, but when you get a chance upon your return can you check your Etka program again, as I am pretty sure that the part number you list above is for the TIMING BELT, and NOT the serpentine belt. Thanks bud.
  • WinchyWinchy Forum Addict
    edited October 2013
    Hi Oz, I know you are in Scotland still, but when you get a chance upon your return can you check your Etka program again, as I am pretty sure that the part number you list above is for the TIMING BELT, and NOT the serpentine belt. Thanks bud.
    G,day Scorp,
    The belt serial is 03L903137H > 21.8x1555mm
    All part nos can be found on "www.partscats.com"
    Cheers,
    Des
  • MikhailtMikhailt Supporting Member
    edited October 2013

03L 109 119 C - that is timing belt number according to older edition of ETKA
  • ozcaddyozcaddy Supporting Member
    edited October 2013

Will do but will be next week before we get home
    Regards
    Oz
    edited October 2013
    Thanks guys...but as you can from the posts above...several people have different thoughts about what the correct part number is. I will call the local VW parts guys and check with them as well...;)
  • sclarke7171sclarke7171 Posting Freak
    edited October 2013
    Just a note. I had replaced 3 in 78k. So it's on it's 4th belt. Well 1st now as it has a new engine !!!
  • davedave Supporting Member
    edited October 2013
    This is from my new spare from behind my rear seat.

03L 903 137 H plus it is a 6PK 1555 which would translate as 6 peaks or ribs and 1555mm long.
    edited October 2013
    dave wrote: »
    This is from my new spare from behind my rear seat.

03L 903 137 H plus it is a 6PK 1555 which would translate as 6 peaks or ribs and 1555mm long.

oh ok...cool...same as winchy said...many thanks fellas
    edited October 2013
    Stumbled upon something very interesting on the Gates website. In the trouble shooting section for serpentine belts, it says the automatic belt tensioner MUST be replaced with every belt change. Apparently they become misaligned over time. Food for thought..... I wonder if VW do this.
  • mendosa brownmendosa brown Member
    edited April 2014
    currently stuck on the side of the road. same issue. belt gone. 80000km. have been waiting for a tow truck for hour and a h alf. they said, they will pay for the taxi to get me home.
  • snapsimosnapsimo Supporting Member
    edited April 2014
    Oh dear. Keep us posted.

ACV Eastside Massive!!
    MY12 Natural Grey Highline
    edited April 2014
    got home finally. towie was going to take me 35 km in opposit direction and than I would have to call a cab, wait bit more...I called wife to pick me up from the road.
  • snapsimosnapsimo Supporting Member
    edited April 2014
    He wouldn't take you 35km.... Really? That's a bit rich for what he would be getting $$$

ACV Eastside Massive!!
    MY12 Natural Grey Highline
    edited April 2014
    he would, but I didnt want to spend half a day traveling around
  • crazychester5crazychester5 Senior Member
    edited April 2014
    Winchy think they would be talking about the timing belt u replace tensioner
    edited April 2014
    Winchy think they would be talking about the timing belt u replace tensioner
    Read it as you will, but paying attention to the bottom line, I would replace the tensioner after any dramas. I replaced my belt and tensioner at 40,000 and will continue to do so. cheap peace of mind.
  • SotashSotash Member
    edited April 2014
    Ian Boetchers, Bundamba Qld, attended to my squeaky belt, replaced the tensioner at 18,000km, seems to have fixed the problem for now? Let's hope VW devise a permanent solution? (Cannot recommend Boetchers enough, professional thorough mob!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD