Hello All

ZenecZenec Junior Member
edited September 2014 in Zenec Australia
About Us……..
When you have a love for motor cars and also love technology, what would be the obvious solution? ..... To Combine the two!

Well about seven years ago the concept for Advanced ICE was born and six months after that it became a reality. Here we are in 2011 and our core focus has evolved into state of the art In Car Entertainment products that now also include audio, video, television, navigation, camera integration plus the Zenec Naviceivers.

In the beginning our commitment was to only supply quality products which have been tried and tested on local vehicles to ensure absolute compatibility. That commitment continues to be at the core of the products we supply and the Zenec’s are no exception.

Some of you may not know that Zenec is Germany's leading Naviceiver supplier - they have a bigger market share than Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood etc. I'm sure you'll agree that this doesn't happen unless your product is of a high standard.

Being a local Australian owned company we are also committed to giving our clients the service they are entitled to. In addition we provide advice, local technical support and warranty and we look forward to helping you all in whatever way we can. So please don't hesitate to contact us and we will do our best to help.

The Zenec Team

Comments

• chockochocko Posting Freak
    edited September 2011
    So Zenec and Advanced ice are the same company?
  • ZenecZenec Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    Hi Chocko,

With out getting to technical, they are two seperate companies but Zenec is a subsidiary of Advanced ICE.
  • fourosfouros Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    welcome aboard mate,
  • macadamacada Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    Just got my new Rok with Zenec 2010 installed. It hasn't been good news so far. The gps doesn't pick up signal and the screen goes blank after 5-10 seconds of operation in all modes. Buttons still work but with blank screen this is useless. Have you come across this before?
    edited September 2011
    Hi Macada,

Thanks for getting in contact with us.

This is a known issue that we do currently have a solution coming for. Basically in the start up sequence of new model VW's (mostly diesel models) the voltage supply can drop to as low as 6 volts. The Zenec being a 12V device obviously does not like this and occasionally it plays up with the navigation software as yours has done.

If you visit your reseller, they can run an update to restore the device and get it operating as normal again for you. This is a very recent change in new VW's however Zenec have responded very quickly to release a new part to resolve this issue which we currently have on the way.

I apologise for any inconvenience, but we and your reseller will work together to resolve if for you as quickly as possible.
    edited September 2011
    Hi Macada,

Thanks for getting in contact with us.

This is a known issue that we do currently have a solution coming for. Basically in the start up sequence of new model VW's (mostly diesel models) the voltage supply can drop to as low as 6 volts. The Zenec being a 12V device obviously does not like this and occasionally it plays up with the navigation software as yours has done.

If you visit your reseller, they can run an update to restore the device and get it operating as normal again for you. This is a very recent change in new VW's however Zenec have responded very quickly to release a new part to resolve this issue which we currently have on the way.

I apologise for any inconvenience, but we and your reseller will work together to resolve if for you as quickly as possible.
  • macadamacada Junior Member
    edited October 2011
    Just thought i would update on the Zenec 2010 installed into my Rok. As mentioned a few posts ago I had issues with the System originally. I spoke to Mark from Westside Audio (who originally installed it) who was very helpful and had all issues sorted as well as a few others that were more to do with the dealer. Since the fix (which required a software upgrade) the unit has been working great.
    edited October 2011
    Awesome. Glad everything is ok now. Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions or if you need any help.
    edited October 2011
    Awesome. Glad everything is ok now. Feel free to contact us if you have any other questions or if you need any help.
  • PeacePeace Junior Member
    edited December 2011
    Will live traffic updates ever be available in an update? Kind of important being in Sydney... :)

Great unit otherwise!
  • forrestmountforrestmount Supporting Member
    edited April 2012
    Hi I have some strange issues with my Zenec. At random times it prompts me that I have lost satellites for no apparent reason but only when I am not using the GPS function (ie haven't clicked "accept" on the startup disclaimer).

I also had a couple of times that the gps simply wouldn't track satellites when trying to use the GPS. I tried updating the firmware (system and bluetooth only). The gps update seemed to be maps only and cost money.

All the issues seem to be a gps firmware type problem. Does updating the maps also update the firmware?

I too like the product just find these glitches frustrating at times.
  • CalibratedCalibrated Administrator
    edited April 2012
    Hi I have some strange issues with my Zenec. At random times it prompts me that I have lost satellites for no apparent reason but only when I am not using the GPS function (ie haven't clicked "accept" on the startup disclaimer).

I also had a couple of times that the gps simply wouldn't track satellites when trying to use the GPS. I tried updating the firmware (system and bluetooth only). The gps update seemed to be maps only and cost money.

All the issues seem to be a gps firmware type problem. Does updating the maps also update the firmware?

I too like the product just find these glitches frustrating at times.

Leigh is on leave at the moment, but I've spoken with him about this and his response was:
    It just sounds like the GPS antenna is not in the best position or has come loose from its position and dropped down in the dash and is not picking up GPS properly. He should take it back to his reseller and get it checked.
    edited July 2012
    I finally got the rok in for the first service. I asked them to look at why the unit intermittently stops tracking satellites and the fix was it won't work in garages or tunnels. I am pretty upset about the way the dealer has waisted my time in this. Has anyone else seen this issue? It annoys me that I continually need to use my iphone as a gps when I have a bigger, safer and easier to use solution in the dash.
    edited July 2012
    Hi Forrestmount,

So are you saying that the unit loses GPS when in Tunnels or under cover of a garage or carpark? Is that the only time?
    edited July 2012
    I have driven across town up to one hour trips without gps, of cause it only happens when I need it.
    edited July 2012
    It sounds like the installers need to check the GPS antenna location.

It is obvious that GPS does not work in Tunnels or when under a building etc, but what you are describing does not make sense if the GPS is in a good location. We have had similar problems before but it has always been a poor connection of the GPS antenna or the GPS antenna has fallen down in the dash and needs to be remounted.

You can check the GPS signal strength as well by going to the map screen > press GPS signal strength bar at the bottom left of the screen > then press GPS on the next screen. If it happens again, please email us a picture of this screen to sales@zenec.com.au and we will have a look.

We would love to help you find a resolution to this so please feel free to contact us directly by phone or on the above email address.
    edited July 2012
    Cheers I tried to grab this info once before but tapping on the screen it started working ( go figure) I did get a photo of the sky plot before it started working . I will email it though.
  • PurdahPurdah Junior Member
    edited August 2013
    I have a 2011D in my Amarok as it was the only way to get a reverse camera.

I have found the unit to be pretty average but it looks like I am going to have to live with it.

I have found the bluetooth integration particularly poor, it is certainly a step back from the stock unit which shows track information and actually works from the steering controls.

Why is the bluetooth integration so poor?

The most annoying thing is that the steering wheel mounted controls will not allow me to skip tracks. The ONLY way to skip a track is to take your hand off the wheel and find the FFWD icon on screen which with no tactile feedback means you HAVE to take your eyes off the road.

Even the button on the head unit itself, which has the SAME icon as is shown on screen, will not skip the track. Why on earth would you have a physical button that has the same icon as a button on screen not do the same operation, and logically this should extend to integrate with the steering controls as well.

Another suggestion would be to have customizable settings based on which bluetooth device is currently connected. It would be nice to have some settings on the head unit configurable based on the connected phone. Ie the voice/volume of the nav prompts. And I would really like to have speed limit warnings turned off whilst my wife prefers them turned on. It is a shame your software is not open source as I would even consider adding that sort of functionality myself.

Kind regards,
  • DkbikesDkbikes Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    Purdah wrote: »
    I have a 2011D in my Amarok as it was the only way to get a reverse camera.

I have found the unit to be pretty average but it looks like I am going to have to live with it.

I have found the bluetooth integration particularly poor, it is certainly a step back from the stock unit which shows track information and actually works from the steering controls.

Why is the bluetooth integration so poor?

The most annoying thing is that the steering wheel mounted controls will not allow me to skip tracks. The ONLY way to skip a track is to take your hand off the wheel and find the FFWD icon on screen which with no tactile feedback means you HAVE to take your eyes off the road.

Even the button on the head unit itself, which has the SAME icon as is shown on screen, will not skip the track. Why on earth would you have a physical button that has the same icon as a button on screen not do the same operation, and logically this should extend to integrate with the steering controls as well.

Another suggestion would be to have customizable settings based on which bluetooth device is currently connected. It would be nice to have some settings on the head unit configurable based on the connected phone. Ie the voice/volume of the nav prompts. And I would really like to have speed limit warnings turned off whilst my wife prefers them turned on. It is a shame your software is not open source as I would even consider adding that sort of functionality myself.

Kind regards,

Hey mate I have the 2011d aswel and all works fine with my steering wheel, few problems i had with mine are.
    - wouldn't turn on after driving home day 1 of owning the car ( was replaced the next day/ mobile guy came to replace it)

- when backing onto my trailer with the reverse camera the sensors stay on which is really annoying,

- blue tooth doesn't always connect

Also I wish I could have the camera on whilst driving but don't think its possible, I had this option on my old car was good when towing on long drives

Thanks

Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  • steveiehsteveieh Posting Freak
    edited August 2013
    Hey Joel,

The reverse camera can be turned on whilst driving, there is a green wire on the back of the head unit that is the reverse signal wire, you just need to run a 12v feed from a switch to T into this and down to the positive on your camera, then you can switch on and off at your own will!.

Steve
  • snappaheadsnappahead Supporting Member
    edited August 2013
    I've got the 2011D, installed by the dealer when I picked up the car. Overall I'd rate it as average.

The GPS is very good from a functionality perspective, but there's a few things about it that annoy me. Whenever the car is started, it seems the unit can't "remember" what time it is and it always starts with the the screen brightness set to the opposite of what it actually should be. Not such a problem during the day, as it always starts on the dimmed night-time setting so you just can't really see anything. During the night it's a real pain as it starts on full brightness and is very distracting. After a random amount of time (15 seconds to a couple of minutes), the brightness will adjust to suit the time of day. It doesn't appear to have any integration with the headlights either, so when you enter a tunnel during the day the screen is very bright rather than dimming when you turn on the lights.

Boot up time has been raised by people previously. I didn't think this would be a problem, but it's a pain in the ass as it also affects the availability of the reversing camera. It takes about 30 seconds - doesn't sound like much, but it seems an eternity when you are waiting to back out of somewhere.

Bluetooth integration is mediocre. Hands free works OK, but audio streaming is buggy. If you engage reverse while streaming audio, it stops. If you press the Map button it stops. It's a pain to have to go back and start it again.

AM reception is pathetic. Not a problem if you don't listen to AM stations, but if you do then you'll be really upset with this unit.

USB playback is buggy. You have to fight with the system to get it to do what you want - the controls aren't at all intuitive.

I am pretty disappointed with this product, and the lack of support and updates from Zenec. I've contacted them by email a few times with no response at all. I wouldn't recommend that anyone waste ~$1500 on this unit.
  • DkbikesDkbikes Senior Member
    edited August 2013
    1500 is a bargain compared to what I payed :/ ripped from the dealer :( I'm glad u can change the reverse wire I was led to belief it was run by the cubs
  • snappaheadsnappahead Supporting Member
    edited August 2013
    Might have actually been closer to $2k - I don't remember the actual price, but I know it was a lot...
  • davedave Supporting Member
    edited August 2013
    Seems it may be pointless asking @Zenec anything as he or she hasn't logged in since 28/11/12.

Ash if you have your ears on, where are we at with getting Hema maps onto the ZE-NC2011D?
  • -=Buzz=--=Buzz=- Supporting Member
    edited August 2013
    snappahead wrote: »
    I've got the 2011D, installed by the dealer when I picked up the car. Overall I'd rate it as average.

The GPS is very good from a functionality perspective, but there's a few things about it that annoy me. Whenever the car is started, it seems the unit can't "remember" what time it is and it always starts with the the screen brightness set to the opposite of what it actually should be. Not such a problem during the day, as it always starts on the dimmed night-time setting so you just can't really see anything. During the night it's a real pain as it starts on full brightness and is very distracting. After a random amount of time (15 seconds to a couple of minutes), the brightness will adjust to suit the time of day. It doesn't appear to have any integration with the headlights either, so when you enter a tunnel during the day the screen is very bright rather than dimming when you turn on the lights.

Boot up time has been raised by people previously. I didn't think this would be a problem, but it's a pain in the ass as it also affects the availability of the reversing camera. It takes about 30 seconds - doesn't sound like much, but it seems an eternity when you are waiting to back out of somewhere.

Bluetooth integration is mediocre. Hands free works OK, but audio streaming is buggy. If you engage reverse while streaming audio, it stops. If you press the Map button it stops. It's a pain to have to go back and start it again.

AM reception is pathetic. Not a problem if you don't listen to AM stations, but if you do then you'll be really upset with this unit.

USB playback is buggy. You have to fight with the system to get it to do what you want - the controls aren't at all intuitive.

I am pretty disappointed with this product, and the lack of support and updates from Zenec. I've contacted them by email a few times with no response at all. I wouldn't recommend that anyone waste ~$1500 on this unit.

Exactly what you said there, I have every single one of those issues with this system, which I certainly wouldn;t recommend to anyone for the price - plus add in that if you engage reverse before it's all fully awake the camera feed doesn't come on, and the unit totally mutes the AM signal - only AM, nothing else - the only way to get the signal back is turn off the ignition, and it comes back immediately. Doesn't do it to FM.

AM reception and tuning is almost impossible, and if you go near a power line? Be prepared to have to turn down the volume, the buzzing is horrific.

USB music playback AND SD card playback can be choppy, with random drop outs of music. Don't even try with bluetooth.
  • CalibratedCalibrated Administrator
    edited August 2013
    dave wrote: »
    Seems it may be pointless asking @Zenec anything as he or she hasn't logged in since 28/11/12.

Ash if you have your ears on, where are we at with getting Hema maps onto the ZE-NC2011D?

In final testing. Just a few minor bugs being ironed out.
  • subaxtremesubaxtreme Supporting Member
    edited August 2013
    Zenec seem to be quite good at answering the phone. They have a fix for the slow startup/turning on reversing camera-only the unit has to be returned to them!
  • GhostbatGhostbat Junior Member
    edited August 2013
    Major safety problem with Zenec 2011D unit is that camera activation takes about 35 seconds after ignition/engine on. the camera has to be INSTANT on when reverse gear is engaged, no ifs, no buts. that's what reversing cameras are for. when is the recall happening, Mr Zenec??
  • bauercobauerco Vendor
    edited August 2013
    Sorry to hear about your problems guys, I myself have never had any of the troubles that you have mentioned.
    Not long ago I had a small issue when I updated my maps but a simple reformat of the USB & reload the maps, as suggested by Leigh at Zenec who replied to my email promptly, solved the problem.
    I too have issues with the bluetooth connecting, but it's my iPhone 5 that's the problem, they have a known issue syncing to lots of bluetooth devices, I never had any issues with my Nokia connecting. The camera not coming on straight away is an issue for a lot of brands, some come on a bit quicker some slower, it is after all a computer which takes time to boot up. My experience with the Zenec 2011D has been nothing but fantastic & I really enjoy using it.

Cheers

Mark

Amarok Club of Victoria
    MY12 Reflex Silver Highline
    94 F250 Supacab 7.5lt 6" suspension lift 3" body lift
  • davedave Supporting Member
    edited August 2013
    One prob I have (including some of the above) is that ever time I restart after I have stopped for a while or after a stall (even if the radio is already on) the unit will reboot its self which as we know takes some time. In another thread it was suggested that a condenser may fix the problem.

Does anybody else have this issue?