damage cause by bad fuel!

ed1ed1 Junior Member
edited March 2017 in Fuel and Oil
Last week while I was about to park my rok I saw the glow plug flashing!! @ 1600 km I was like what is that?
Before closing the engine heard a klicking noise in the engine, turn it off and opened It black smoke coming out the exaust and the engine died! Called a tow truck sent it to the dealer!
Got a loan car, 2 days after they inform me I was victim of a bad fuel they found kerozen, oil, and other in the fuel damages: injector total lost, tank pump replace, fuel pump, and more! I'm currently in the carribean and and the diesel is BAD! Appenrently the dealer installed algea x maybe its a jock!
My only concern is they filled up the car since saturday I already put 200km and the gagde is still showing full @ 420km to EMpty. Suggestions!

Comments

• LeonFNQLeonFNQ Vendor
    edited August 2013
    Doesn't sound good mate. The Amaroks fuel system is very sensitive to dirty fuel. There's pros and cons if you spend $400 on a pre filter to trap water and other debris particals or face loosing warranty on your fuel system by installing a pre filter.

Kyle
    MY11 Trendline Cairns, Qld.
  • davedave Supporting Member
    edited August 2013
    ed1 wrote: »
    My only concern is they filled up the car since saturday I already put 200km and the gagde is still showing full @ 420km to EMpty. Suggestions!

Since the fuel gauge sender is all part of the fuel pump housing I would suggest that the arm on the sender has been slightly bent (very easy to do) when the dealer replaced the pump. If this happens to be the case then the tank will need to be removed to gain access to the sender and re-calibrated it.

But, if the MFD is indicating that you have 420km to empty then disregard the above because the MFD takes it's reading from the same sender unit, (contradiction, one saying full the other half full) and if this happens to be the case then I don't have a clue what the prob may be. :(
  • subaxtremesubaxtreme Supporting Member
    edited August 2013
    I had the same result when I had a blocked tank vent line (actually I forgot to provide a vent when we did the fuel filler for the new back) The tank temporally collapsed causing the fuel readings to be very distressed!
  • ed1ed1 Junior Member
    edited August 2013
    Thx for the replies! Lil info I took the rok back from the dealer @ 1700km today I'm at 2040km that s already 340km since and it was showing still full @ 510km to empty just before coming back home today! I might go to the dealer tomorrow to get that fix and that squeaking rear suspension.
    One thing I do realise is that when I'm going down hill the km to empty on the MFD goes up 10 to 20km more and it goes down about the same when going uphill!

What about the "algea x" have you heard about it and is it reliable!?
  • fingersfingers Member
    edited January 2017
    I had the flashing glow plug issue last night. 2 year old Highline with 42 k travelled and I was driving from Coffs Harbour to Brisbane. Was doing 100kmh on the M1 and it just lost power. Pulled over and shut it off and when I restarted it a few minutes later everything was back to normal so I continued on. No sucking or whistling sounds suggestion issues with loose turbo hoses as some others have had.

Only thing different is that I have always only used Caltex or Shell fuels. No reason other than they were the fuel cards I got with the lease. I refuelled for the first time ever with BP Ultimate at Coomera (60 odd litres) and the problem happened 30kms later. Coincidence?
  • ozcaddyozcaddy Supporting Member
    edited January 2017
    Always get a docket for your fuel and keep it until you refill then get that docket and throw out the old one that way you have some documentation
    Right down the mileage on each docket
    It will save your pocket one day
    Also do not fill up when you see a tanker in the garage , go elsewhere , tanker stirs up all the crap and you then buy it
    Oz
  • ScotRokScotRok Supporting Member
    edited January 2017
    Mine runs better on BP, used only BP on a trip to the Gold Coast and car was smoother more economical and felt faster. Could really tell when I went back to my local Caltex. Can't wait till they change over to BP fuels.
  • santariasantaria Member
    edited January 2017
    ScotRok wrote: »
    Mine runs better on BP, used only BP on a trip to the Gold Coast and car was smoother more economical and felt faster. Could really tell when I went back to my local Caltex. Can't wait till they change over to BP fuels.
    We have made the exact same deduction. When we fill with BP we get nearly an extra 150kms per tank. We get about 700 on other fuels and 850+ with BP. It's uncanny.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
  • suhua4suhua4 Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    ed1 wrote: »
    Last week while I was about to park my rok I saw the glow plug flashing!! @ 1600 km I was like what is that?
    Before closing the engine heard a klicking noise in the engine, turn it off and opened It black smoke coming out the exaust and the engine died! Called a tow truck sent it to the dealer!
    Got a loan car, 2 days after they inform me I was victim of a bad fuel they found kerozen, oil, and other in the fuel damages: injector

Did they fix it under warranty or how much you had to spend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • brookes2622brookes2622 Supporting Member
    edited January 2017
    ozcaddy wrote: »
    Always get a docket for your fuel and keep it until you refill then get that docket and throw out the old one that way you have some documentation
    Right down the mileage on each docket
    It will save your pocket one day
    Also do not fill up when you see a tanker in the garage , go elsewhere , tanker stirs up all the crap and you then buy it
    Oz

I'll relate our bad fuel experience with you. We had a 90 series Prado and bought some fuel for it and on the way home we kept getting the sedimeter telling us it had water. We pumped it out and took the car to Toyota when they drained the tank and put in 5 litres. We returned to the servo with docket showing we had bought 140l the day before and the Toyota work order showing the draining of the tank. While we were discussing this I refilled the tanks, 150 litres, assuming we would be reimbursed. Big mistake. After much arguing and the bloke saying he didn't know where we bought the fuel and it could have come from anywhere. He told us to take it up with head office. Pissed is not the work. Anyway we head home and within 1k the sedimeter is detecting water again. I drain it and return to the servo and show the bloke, who knows we just filled it completely from him. I show him the dirty water being pumped out of the sedimeter and he hold the line that it could have come from anywhere and blames the 5 litres Toyota put in. Grrr. Take it up with Head Office.

So we did and make little progress. I suspect they get out of it by saying it was the last place you bought fuel. This wasn't good enough so we rang around all the diesel mechanics in the area and put out signs in the street. We gathered half a dozen people who had the same issue we did from the same server including a cement truck driver in a new truck. I threw up a website called "DirtyFuel.net" with the whole story naming names. After a lot of words they eventually reimbursed us our costs including two mechanics and three tanks of fuel I think it was about $900.

What did we learn from that experience. Put additional fuel filters in your car, don't fill up where a tanker is and while I won't name names I won't be buying fuel from a certain servo in Symonston ACT ever again, or their head office :)

Some time latter I got a phone call then a threatening letter from their lawyer asking us to take the website down. We never told them about it.
  • ScotRokScotRok Supporting Member
    edited January 2017
    My nearest BP is twenty minutes each way so not really cost effective.
  • NailsNails Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    I see that the OEM filter already filters water and that there is a model with a water detector - has anyone retrofitted this to their vehicle?
  • EdwinPEdwinP Forum Slave
    edited March 2017
    Nails wrote: »
    I see that the OEM filter already filters water and that there is a model with a water detector - has anyone retrofitted this to their vehicle?

Got a link to the filter your talking about?
  • NailsNails Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    Good question. No and I have not been able to find the part number but I am new to the Workshop Manual. Picture from the manual attached FYI. I will pursue with the local dealer when I have some time.

PS. Not having any success with uploading the picture file will try again later!