How Chris's tune worked out for me

wheelanwheelan Senior Member
edited July 2013 in CrispMods
So through this forum I hear about someone else doing ECU tunes and my ears pricked up as I have had mine done already (I am not into naming names) and have just had the recent VW reflash after taking the car into them for a diff issue. Anyway I was under the impression that they had wiped my original tune by doing the re flash, and was reasonably surprised that the car didnt drive much different after it so I never really worried about going back to get the tune re installed.
When I contacted Chris re a new tune he explained to me that they have much more control over things they can change in the ECU compared to other "tuners". So I cut my losses with previous tuner and give Chris a chance. The first thing we discover is that some of the original tuners mods were still in there and that the VW wasnt a total reflash over everything. Anyway installed a total new file with all their handy work and all I can say is this is what the engine should drive like. It just amazes me that VW cant/wont get this engine going like this originally. So, economy is still the same at this stage even with me floggin it a bit more, Im not really driving it any differently to normal, I always flog it.
It is very smooth on pick up and power builds strongly and progressively without tapering off like it did before. The proof is definitely overtaking at 100 kph, where before I would have to pick a very large gap (I found the car a total slug at these speeds before), now drop it back to 4th if you need rapid acceleration or keep it in 5th or 6th. It really pulls hard. If you rev YOUR car now in 3rd, you will notice a point where it really starts tapering off, this is about when you feel it push you back into the seat again. If I can describe it like this, without having any steps in the power curve it seems to have 3 stages of power, where before it seemed like 2.
By the way, I have no affiliation with Chris, I am just happy that someone got this car going the way it should. I was going to sell this car, see my recent posts, but atm I cant wait to go out and drive it again. Definitely worth the dollars. BTW dont ask me any technical questions, talk to CHris as he will answer any queries you may have, and he is getting paid for it , not me. :)

Paul.

Comments

• dalmacija91dalmacija91 Forum Slave
    edited July 2013
    Someone is on a commission haha! Only kidding, can't wait to get mine done!!

Dan
    MY12 Ultimate Natural Grey
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  • flyingantflyingant Posting Freak
    edited July 2013
    Chris who?

Cheers

Anthony
  • flyingantflyingant Posting Freak
    edited July 2013
    Never mind. We're talking chrispmods right? Just saw his post about his tunes.

Cheers

Anthony
  • wheelanwheelan Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    flyingant wrote: »
    Chris who?

Cheers

Anthony
    Ah that would be Crispmods, the sponsors page you have entered.
  • Dan UKDan UK Junior Member
    edited July 2013
    Did he rolling-road it at all, by chance? Interested to see the power maps which show it all in a measurable and comparable point of view. If not, do you guys do rolling roads over there often at all?
  • CRISPMODSCRISPMODS Vendor
    edited July 2013
    We do,

If you check my ecu tuning info page here:

http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/showthread.php/3879-Ecu-quot-chip-quot-tuning-expert-service-ONLY-1399-for-Forum-members!

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, just depends what customer wants. All you're getting with a dyno read out is just the last slice of a very big pie anyway (Theres maybe another 500 slices at least :) Just depends what you are doing with the car).. It does very little to paint a picture of the actual tune, the real picture is how it feels and how it accelerates on the road under various conditions.

Amaroks have on-board tuning setup to a degree so its not like tuning a WRX where you have to keep checking the changes you force the ecu to run.
    Its fairly adaptive and safe up to a certain point. (Stage 2)

Cheers
  • CRISPMODSCRISPMODS Vendor
    edited July 2013
    We can see in the ecu, the torque limits were not touched previously with approx. 5-6% boost request and approx. 10% extra fueling even in places where it makes no difference. So it was like pegging it and throwing an anchor out the window at the same time. You do get a slight gain without touching limits, but no where near potentials.

To answer your question, No.
    Previous tuner and previous "chip" guy also had no dyno sheets.

Its a 2d slice of last of the map anyway, really good for a wang measuring contest but does nothing for drivability too.