Ecu "chip" tuning - expert service ONLY $1399 for Forum members!

CRISPMODSCRISPMODS Vendor
edited July 2018 in CrispMods
Cost?

RRP: $1500
AusAmarok member discounted price: $1399

Tunes available:

Stage 1 with emphasis on power
Stage 1 with emphasis on fuel economy

Stage 2 with emphasis on power
Stage 2 with emphasis on fuel economy

Stage 3 with emphasis on power

Check this video for a comparison of acceleration between: Stock, Stage 1 power tune, Stage 2 power tune

Why choose ecu chip tuning over plug-in modules??

Because rail pressure modules/pulse width modules can only increase and decrease fueling.
To make more power using a chip, you need to inject more fuel, which means increase fuel use.
Pulse width can also modify injectors delay, but they cannot advance injection correctly.

Rail chips cannot overcome ANY torque limiters in the ECU. Period.
Increase fuel as much as you like, they will meet a "brick wall" which they cannot get around.

ECU tuning actually can reduce your fuel use substantially and is backed up by ACTUAL dyno figures and real world figures.

We edit over 800 cells in the ecu. The maps are 3 dimensional. This is why we can actually make the car feel completely different with an ECU tune. We all have heard the stories of how "chips" don't even make a noticeable difference in performance but will increase fuel consumption. Not all "chips" are the same, but most do the same thing. ECU tuning is completely different. We do not trick the ECU.

Why does ECU tuning tend to make a more driveable vehicle and make more power and save fuel at the same time?

This depends on how you drive too. The engine management is a flowing 4d canvas with lots of variables. We edit the ECU logic for as many situations as we can envision. Overall you should feel a completely fluid transition from power to cruise and back.

Dyno examples:

Here is a video of one of my dealers using back to back power runs in a 163hp (original) 2.0 bi td Amarok:

What do we change?:

-Drive-by-wire pedal feel
-Injection angles
-Fuel rail pressure (Never more than 2% increase over stock, unlike plug-in chips)
-Torque limiter for 1st and 2nd gear
-Torque limiter for remaining gears
-Torque governor
-Torque request warm
-Torque request cruise
-Torque request non-cruise
-EGR (Exhaust gas re-circ) (We can switch this off for Off-road/track cars)
-DPF management (We can switch this off for Off-road/track cars)
-Boost levels (We usually keep the boost around stock unless requested)
-Gearbox controls (Auto)
-Turbo dynamics
-Warm up fueling (Usually leave stock settings)

Physical changes?

We do our best to keep the engine bay looking stock.

Can we remove the tune? What if I lose my tune due to VW ecm update?

We re-instate lost tunes usually at no cost. Tunes are only lost if VW make an update to engine management. This usually happens only in the first 1-2years of releasing an engine setup. This period has passed and I don't expect further updates to engine management from VW.

How safe are the tunes?

The Amarok uses a bosch 4.9 wideband air fuel sensor for onboard tuning. The Amarok pulls/adds up to 25% fueling to keep in the pre-determined fueling we set. We aim to keep AFR's above 18:1 to stop overheating issues of the piston crowns.

The Amarok also self-monitors EGT's (Exhaust gas temps) if they get high, power/fuel is reduced to keep the engine safe.

What this means is, the engine management should never let the engine get into a dangerous situation as long as all sensors work correctly. This engine has been tested to over 30psi boost by us and we are confident that keeping to our low targets of boost for stage 1 and stage 2 tunes will keep engines safe.

What are common problems with tunes?

Increased clutch wear
Increased engine mount wear
Increased tire wear

Why do some tuners have issues tuning the Amarok?

These fall into 3 categories,
1. Those who treat a Bosch ecu logic with say Japanese style tuning. (Does not work!)
2. Those who don't edit the ecu correctly, due to the variable firmware from vehicle to vehicle. (There's about 60 different versions of the Amarok ECU so far! - Get it wrong and you could cause damage or get no tuning result!)
3. Those who don't edit the torque limiters and just add a heap of boost/fuel but make bugger all power/difference to stock.

We don't have these issues as we actually write some of the files for Bosch OEM ecu's aswell! We have bosch motorsport heritage and experience.

Its one of the hardest ECU's to edit and only a handful of companies can see the entire ECU contents for values.

Do you offer a trial of the tune?

We offer a 14 day money back if you want your ECU returned to stock in that period.

Any other questions, please just ask here!
Thanks
-Chris

Comments

• LeonFNQLeonFNQ Vendor
    edited July 2013
    Very interesting Chris, will be in contact with you tomorrow. I'm interested in the stage 3 tune.

MY12 Trendline Cairns, Qld.
  • CRISPMODSCRISPMODS Vendor
    edited July 2013
    No probs,

Stage 3 usually includes 2 physical modifications (Exhaust and intake manifold injection for water or water/meth) but can also involve inlet modifications (Not even beta tested yet) -

It can also involve high boost and fueling instead of say water/meth injection, still relatively safe but reliability no-doubt is heading south after stage 2. This would be our preferred method along with exhaust modifications and has been tested.
  • LeonFNQLeonFNQ Vendor
    edited July 2013
    Mmm, what kind of warranty is on your tunes?

edited July 2013
    Warranty cover is optional for stage 1, ask by PM if you would like warranty added to the price.

Normally warranty is limited for 2 years for ECU and SOFTWARE only but I do make exceptions if requested.
  • LeonFNQLeonFNQ Vendor
    edited July 2013
    How would I go about getting this tune done being that I'm up here in Cairns?

edited July 2013
    Come meet me 1/2 way in bris not this weekend but next? :)
    Otherwise if you can go without your car for 2 days, use express post platinum insured to send the ECU overnight.
    Don't worry, I've sent ECU's overseas before! They are pretty robust.
    Just make sure you insure it for like 3k to cover the pain in case of loss.

I can guide you over the phone on how to remove the ecu.

Other option is to organize 3 cars or more and I'll come to you. I tune Ranger's, Amarok's, Jetskis, VW, Audi, Mercedes etc.. If you can get 3 or more, it makes it easy and worthwhile for everyone involved.

Cheers
  • LeonFNQLeonFNQ Vendor
    edited July 2013
    I would do Brisbane but we are due to load the Amaroks up then to head away up north for work. Might have to do the send the ECU away thing.

• davedave Supporting Member
    edited July 2013
    LeonFNQ wrote: »
    I would do Brisbane but we are due to load the Amaroks up then to head away up north for work. Might have to do the send the ECU away thing.

Break out your 'diamond tipped' drills to remove the HT 'anti tamper' screws that holds the shield on top of the ECU.

I'm waiting for Chis to finish developing the Stage 4 tune.

You know, the tune that gives your rok V8 power and torque, runs on the smell of an oily rag and is backed by 100k full engine/drivetrain replacement warranty for $2k. lol
  • LeonFNQLeonFNQ Vendor
    edited July 2013
    dave wrote: »
    Break out your 'diamond tipped' drills to remove the HT 'anti tamper' screws that holds the shield on top of the ECU.

You know, the tune that gives your rok V8 power and torque, runs on the smell of an oily rag and is backed by 100k full engine/drivetrain replacement warranty for $2k. lol

Now that tune sounds more like my thing.

• brookes2622brookes2622 Supporting Member
    edited July 2013
    dave wrote: »

And then we'll do a group buy to get it down to $500 :)
  • flyingantflyingant Posting Freak
    edited July 2013
    Chris, I'm keen on a tune but have a couple of questions.

Does your tune effect the 23L8 update? I would not want to lose the big improvement to drivability this made.

How does yours differ to Ottinger or Viesu (spelling??) ?

Warranty?

Could you explain the differences between stage 1&2 and power&economy tunes please?

Ok, so more than just a couple but I'm sure your honest answers will be appreciated by the forum.

Thanks.

Cheers

Anthony
    edited July 2013
    We were installing the 23L8 improvements through our software already, we then made our own adjustments and put them on top. So actually drive ability gets better again.

Going to a tuner is also like going to a hairdresser. They will each cut your hair a different way but in a way they aim to do the same thing. So why do they turn out differently? :)
    Without getting into a wang measuring contest on the forum ill tell it to you this way: some tuners use software editing packages that come with hardware kits or do not invest time/money to get good software kits developed... Usually amateur tuners use this sort of method, it's cheap but its very limited in ability and is also hit and miss (possible to destroy an ecu this way too). It's usually too time consuming to develop their own and without the right programming, guys will sift through just 1 ecu for months! You can't do that with every customer... And unfortunately for them us Australians get special ecu versions that make it even harder for those who don't decipher themselves. Just remember, well marketed, doesn't mean it works well.

We made our own deciphering program that works on any Bosch ecu. So we see the whole ecu contents, not just 3-5 tables and it takes only 30 odd mins to decipher a new type of ecu that hasn't been seen before.

Usually the guys going around doing things for free or offering cheap tunes they are either experimenting or are finding it hard to establish themselves as reputable.

Usually you also get what you pay for. I would not hesitate to use one of the groups you mention for example. From what I've seen they also know what they are doing. There is also a British company that is fairly reputable that know what they are doing. You can usually tell by how many tables they edit and if they can enable/disable ecu features easily.

I can offer warranty cover for agreed engine physical parts for $400 on top of the forum tune price. It's not required to be honest but some guys just want peace of mind. The engine sensors will not let the engine get into a dangerous circumstance if edited maps are done correctly, if they ever exceed thresholds they limit power and/or go into limp mode. If sensors aren't working correctly they will also cause limp. "Warranty will not cover stupid" though, but there is a lot of fool-proofing in the ecu. Some information can also be retrieved from the ecu as to how a car is being treated in the last couple of runs, so we will always pull this information if needed.

Stage 1 is for physically standard cars. Eco is less torquey but uses less fuel.

Stage 2 tune requires either you or an exhaust shop to make flow changes in the exhaust. We then load an altered map for flow changes. Either torquey or with economy.

We also do a variety of maps not just a one size fits all. Like for instance we've found recently a few additions of data in the Aussie variants of the ~2011 ecu's (CP20). There were a few bits affecting fuel economy, so we made revisions to these to get them on par with all the other Amarok ecu's in terms of fuel economy.
  • WinchyWinchy Forum Addict
    edited July 2013
    Coming to Brissy? I'm interested!
    Tow a 1.5 t camper and need more "oomph" for overtaking and long hills. A stage 1 tune you think?
    Don't know whether to buy a Beadesert 2 3/4" exhaust as well. Worthwhile fitting or wasting hard earned?
    Cheers
    edited July 2013
    Hey mate, yeah stage 1 would be the way to go, we'll take note of the caravan, if its rather large/heavy we can make slight changes to suit this sort of towing where you maybe using over 40kw to maintain hwy speed, I'm guessing fuel economy would be your main concern while towing?
    I'm training up a dealer in brissy from 26-28th and offering a tune service to guys for a DISCOUNTED TOTAL: $1100 ($299 off forum price), as the more vehicles we have, the merrier for the dealer to watch and learn!

The exhaust downstream of the DPF isn't restrictive enough for what we do with them to warrant a change IMO.
  • WinchyWinchy Forum Addict
    edited July 2013
    All sounds good to me! I'm in! If you could let us in on a few details [where, time] that would be great!
    Yeah, fuel usage almost doubles when towing the camper. Almost up there with my old GQ.
    Thanks for the heads up on exhaust. Big savings.
    Cheers,
    Des
    edited July 2013
    Done deal, sent you a message with a few questions on what you want from the tune / current fuel use etc and info on where/when.
  • ah1010ah1010 Member
    edited July 2013
    Dont forget to post if you are coming to Sydney sometime.

ah
  • wolftamerwolftamer Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    Another quality read from Crispmods..... I want this done to, but car is brand new and will contact you in the future after it's run in.
    nice work.
    edited July 2013
    ah1010 wrote: »
    Dont forget to post if you are coming to Sydney sometime.

ah

Call Kypros on 0419 999 822
    He's our Sydney main dealer, the files come from the same place, he just does the physical side of things. He's done a rok or two in the past couple of months..

He can perform the tune on most days, just work it out with him.
  • markcapeljamarkcapelja Member
    edited July 2013
    ive been looking everywhere for a proper tuner of the ecu and its good to see you guys are doing it.
    just a few questions though
    what intake mods do you expect with addition of the stage 2?
    also what exhaust mods? e.g a catback 3 inche exhaust?
    i do more towing so i would need a tune to suit
  • ah1010ah1010 Member
    edited July 2013
    And the pricing deal still applies?
    CRISPMODS wrote: »
    Call Kypros on 0419 999 822
    He's our Sydney main dealer
  • rokbottomrokbottom Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    chris have you got anyone doing your tunes in tas?
    edited July 2013
    No, but if you get a few guys together, I have someone I can trust with using the equipment and send it there.
    So say if you and someone else is there wanting a tune, I can get them sorted.

But I'm quite happy to FIFO aswell. So if you have 3 or more vehicles, I'll fly down personally or go on the chunder down under boat.
  • johnrowjohnrow Junior Member
    edited July 2013
    You can add me to the Tassie list…! :)
  • flyingantflyingant Posting Freak
    edited July 2013
    Chris, are you able to edit other values with a tune? Example, increase the number of lane change flashes, activate the courtesy park lights, cornering fog lights etc.

Cheers

Anthony
  • rokbottomrokbottom Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    you dont need a tune for that.
    just someone with a vgds cable and software.

there is load of info if you look for it on this fourm.
    edited July 2013
    johnrow wrote: »
    You can add me to the Tassie list…! :)

Ok I'm talking to a bloke I know there this afternoon. (Raz)
    He's good with Subaru's and a lot of guys trust him with re-wiring their racecars etc.

I'll be in touch later re: tassie.

The lane change stuff is too time consuming to locate. Best using the VG software.
    edited July 2013
    ah1010 wrote: »
    And the pricing deal still applies?

Yes, I just have to speak to him and let him know its a forum special.
    edited July 2013
    ive been looking everywhere for a proper tuner of the ecu and its good to see you guys are doing it.
    just a few questions though
    what intake mods do you expect with addition of the stage 2?
    also what exhaust mods? e.g a catback 3 inche exhaust?
    i do more towing so i would need a tune to suit

Stage 2 tune is an exhaust mod + tune for the mod. I've been looking at the airbox and only allowing more entry holes is possible. Its difficult to make a complete air intake with the amount of plumbing/sensors going into it.

If you do towing and want to do a cat back thats fine, but all the gains in the exhaust are upstream.
    Call me on 0417550418 to discuss exhaust mods. (Won't discuss online)
  • edited July 2013
    I've had SS utes for a few years and watched a few of them being tuned including my own, very time consuming with dyno runs and tables being changed etc etc very similar or the same as this yet it costs around $800-900. Is the cost differential based on economies of scale or something else that I'm not seeing or just because that's what the market is prepared to pay? I would do it myself but can't see the value at that price.