Fuel consumption

roscoe_wroscoe_w Member
edited June 2018 in Fuel and Oil
Gents...

Had the Rok now for 5000km...and just wondering what everyone else is getting in terms of fuel consumption.

I live 30km oout of town before I hit any traffic lights, and my consumption is still reading anywhere between 9.5 and 9.9L.

I find this very strange considering its 30km of highway driving. I thought I would be getting alot better consumption.

Thoughts? Should I be getting it checked out or is this within the range...

Cheers
Ross

Comments

• chockochocko Posting Freak
    edited July 2011
    I was averaging about 8.3 after 3500 which was a 70/30 mixture of city and highway. Before I went away on the weekend I filled up with what I can only presume was bad quality diesel as my consumption went up to 9.5! On my way back I filled 3/4 of the tank and my consumption got better within 20km. I am now at about 8.8 overall and yesterday saw 8.1 on a short trip. Do you always fill up at the same servo? maybe consider changing if so. Otherwise compared to me that's a bit high for a conservative driver. I presume you know about trip meter 1 and 2?
  • CalibratedCalibrated Administrator
    edited July 2011
    i'd say 75% of the time i fill up at the same servo (always caltex though).

I live 12km from work, and its heavy traffic both ways. (boondall to milton - sandgate road, ICB- for those in brisbane)
    I average around 9l/100km for the commute into work and back. if traffic is particularly bad i might get up to mid 9's. If i have a free run in (early shifts) i'll get back down to mid 8's.

went down to the gold coast on the weekend, and was averaging 8.8l/100 for the trip (and that included some pretty heavy 4wding at reedy creek).

I very rarely see averages in the 7's now, but thats to be expected with the amount of gear attached to my car now.

i'm just about to hit 7000km. still a long way to being "run in".
  • flyingfridgeflyingfridge Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    i'm getting mid to high 9s on average. I think my run to work in the morning must be slightly uphill because I can usually only get it around the low 10s at best, but then on my run home I can get it down into the low-mid 8s, sometimes even into the high 7s. i do all city driving.

I'm about to fuel up again so when I log that my fuelly is going to go up a bit again. 9.9 according to the trimp computer at the moment for this tank.

i'm certainly not complaining though, the windscreen sticker says they'll do 9.7 in the city and if I'm getting 9.9 then I'm stoked, I have a slightly heavier foot than most....
  • cstretchcstretch Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    Hi too
    Buy cheap fuel and you will never get good fuel consumption as the cheaper fuels have a lower combustion point(being a lower grade blended fuel)--- thus more fuel needed to get same power::
    And the test set for fuel windscreen sticker consumption is always 1 point lower than you will ever get in real life
    Cheers
  • MattyDeeMattyDee Supporting Member
    edited July 2011
    Im averaging around 9-10l, up to 12 with the trailer on.. It was a best on the first tank, range said 1050km...
  • MattMatt Member
    edited July 2011
    The other day i travelled from Orange to Manildra in NSW (about a 30 min trip) & I averaged 5.9 L/100!!

I have to admit that it's a continuing steady descent of about 400m, but not a bad "the best I've got" figure to quote to hilux owners.;)

I average between 9 & 10 usually.
  • tmftmf Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    I am averaging 8.4L/100. Ive got nearly 5000km so far.
    I live 16km from work usually no load but have roof racks fitted. Averaging 1 fill per week.
    I am taking it to snow this weekend which will be its longest run and will have 4 people plus gear so im interested to see what i get on that trip.
  • nicknznicknz Supporting Member
    edited July 2011
    With the new black one with the AT's im getting around 8.8 city driving, got 8.1 on a 1k round trip on weekend
  • ntboozerntboozer Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Don't forget to factor in the inaccuracy of the speedo. If you're using the average lts/100 from the on-board display it will be incorrect. If you're using Lt's filled and odometer reading and calculating yourself that to will be incorrect.
    My speedo is out by 5% - reading 100km/h when GPS speed is 95km/h. Distance travelled is also inaccurate (obviously) - odo reads 100kms travelled while GPS record is 95kms. My guesstimate in my situation will see about 1/2ltr per 100kms difference depending on calculation method. Not much I know but if we're going to quote economy figures they might as well be as accurate as we can get ;).
  • flyingfridgeflyingfridge Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Interesting that I filled up at my 'other' regular servo the other night and my economy has dropped already and markedly. I think the Shell servo on Sydney Rd in Fawkner might be purveying some iffy diesel....
  • TojoTojo Member
    edited September 2011
    roscoe_w wrote:
    Gents...

G'day Ross,

My Rok is about 4500km now and my average is around 9.3 l/100.
    90% of my driving is at highway speeds - 100-110 km/hr. and mostly flat - 20% highway hills.
    Uloaded - I'm getting 8.6 - 9.3. Loaded 9.6 - 12.0 (not heavy loads, but 1800mm tall pallets of bubblewrap!).
    However, around Melbourne in light traffic I have done 7.4-8.0.

I have recently had a Passat and a Caddy - both TDI's with DSG - they were the same - better around town than on the highway. Caddy also did better on the highway when loaded (heavy). Seems to defy logic, but this has been my experience with VW oil burners over approx 250,000 km.

A bit disappointed in the Rok's ecconomy so far, but still love it.
  • AlcanAlcan Junior Member
    edited October 2011
    Hello all

Our highline has only travelled just under 7000ks, and is averaging 8.4l/100km, but this includes quite a bit of towing of 2 horse float (about 2400kgs) so we are pretty happy with that!
  • tomdejtomdej Junior Member
    edited October 2011
    Are you guys running the standard tyres? If so your odometer is reading around 10% over, as is the speedometer. So 8.4l/100km becomes 9.2l/100km.
  • ntboozerntboozer Senior Member
    edited October 2011
    tomdej wrote:
    Are you guys running the standard tyres? If so your odometer is reading around 10% over, as is the speedometer. So 8.4l/100km becomes 9.2l/100km.

As per my post on page 1 of this thread.
  • TojoTojo Member
    edited December 2011
    G'day Folks,

An update on my consumption now that I have hit 15,000km.

Did a recent trip to Adelaide from North Central Victoria and back the other week (1600km in 20hrs!). 9.2 on the trip over and 9.2 on the way back.

Most of my miles are country roads and highways/freeways. I have been averaging 8.6. Some days I just can't figure it out - 9.9, then the next day 7.8 on the same 50km journey - no notable wind or driving condition/style changes.. Buggard if I can figure it out.

However, on the few trips in and around Melbourne in heavy traffic I can get 7.6-7.9 - go figure....

I find it hard to track the long term milage through the trip meter as it seems to regularly reset itself - anyone know why this happens - I am not holding the reset button down at any stage that I am aware of. I will often look at the long term agverage, only to find that it is only over, say the last 50km - usually less than the journey I am currently on!

:huh:
  • chockochocko Posting Freak
    edited December 2011
    Tojo trip meter 1 resets after the car sits for 2 hours I think. Trip meter 2 resets after 9999km so it's the best one to look at for long term averages. I am still averaging between 8 - 9 and based on good experiences almost always fill up with caltex vortex diesel.
  • RokhardRokhard Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    This is very interesting, I found I can get the consumption down to high 7's in slow traffic and it goes to high 8's to 9 on the highway. The other interesting thing is the consumption varies with the temperature. On a cool morning it's in the 7's over a 35k commute on a hot day it goes to high 8s to 9 same trip same speeds.
    I reckon wind loading at higher speeds is a real factor here as why the consumption is higher at highway speeds.
  • TojoTojo Member
    edited December 2011
    Rokhard wrote:
    This is very interesting, I found I can get the consumption down to high 7's in slow traffic and it goes to high 8's to 9 on the highway. The other interesting thing is the consumption varies with the temperature. On a cool morning it's in the 7's over a 35k commute on a hot day it goes to high 8s to 9 same trip same speeds.
    I reckon wind loading at higher speeds is a real factor here as why the consumption is higher at highway speeds.

I agree Rokhard - I consistently get far better consumption on the trips I do around Melbourne city & subs. Highway is variable, but never as good as city. Also, with a 1800mm high roll of bubblewrap in the back, highway quickly drops to 12+ l/100.
    chocko wrote:
    Tojo trip meter 1 resets after the car sits for 2 hours I think. Trip meter 2 resets after 9999km so it's the best one to look at for long term averages. I am still averaging between 8 - 9 and based on good experiences almost always fill up with caltex vortex diesel.

Thanks Choco, but this is not what I'm looking for. Only done 15,000 and trip 2 seems to reset randomly (most likely for reasons of something I'm doing, but unaware of). Seems to be during trips - Trip 2 often having total milage < Trip 1 :huh:
  • sguesgue Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    When its cold and moist the Diesel will work better and more economically. It is like water injection for other engines. It will actually go better when its cold, thank god I live in the southern highlands. Filling my daughters swimming pool for christmas and its too cold to get in it to smooth out the wrinkles LOL
    cheers everyone and Merry Christmas
  • RevolutionRevolution Senior Member
    edited December 2011
    I drive 395km every week to (or from) work at mine. Sit on 115-120kph most the way except townships. Get close to 10l per 100 on trip down and 9l back. Lots of gradual ups and downs on the trip but the mine is at a higher overall altitude to home hence worse figures going to work. I just set cruise in 6th gear and let the rok do it's thing. Don't carry any load there.
    Must say I thought it may have been slightly better than that but have noticed when at home around town figures drop into the mid to low 7's.
  • carpi1971carpi1971 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Yep have to agree, fuel around town round 7.7ltrs/100, anything over 120km/h and it goes up a fair bit, round 10.0ltrs/100 .
    Found that highway is most economical at around 100-110 (8.8ltrs/100)
    It's the first ute I've owned that is better on juice runnin round town doin 80km/h than on the highway..
  • Tornado_ALIVETornado_ALIVE Forum Addict
    edited March 2012
    I have not calculated consuption figures yet, however my gut feel so far has been I am getting my best ltrs/km running at 80km in 6th on the highway. Should be no supprise there as the faster you go, the greater the wind resistance.

From what I am reading here and my own personal experience, it sounds like the Rok's consumption suffers significantly at true highway speed.
  • brookes2622brookes2622 Supporting Member
    edited March 2012
    I'm not sure how relevant this is but I was towing the tractor along the freeway (110kph) the other day and observed the boost hovering around 20psi. Dropped the tractor off and watched it drop to around 12psi, still 110kph then again at 80kph it was around the 4psi mark.
  • LeonFNQLeonFNQ Vendor
    edited March 2012
    I now have 50,000kms on my Rok and I can say the fuel gets better along with the power. Simply smoother as well.

Kyle
  • MikhailtMikhailt Supporting Member
    edited March 2012
    Hi guys,
    Can anybody give me the ball park figure, how much is fuel consumption going to go up by after I fit bulbar and spotties? Have to fit them as I am going to clock a few kilometers in the country, just want to know what to expect.
  • landdog1landdog1 Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Hi just been out to taroom shooting did 1522 km by the GPS 1464 by speedo and used 126l of fuel, I have oversized tyres, 1000km highway and the rest around the farm a bit in low range, if I had been in my diesel jeep I would have used 190 to 200 l of fuel. So I thing the rok fuel usage is unbelievable.
    Cheers Craig
    Ps I have been doing the same trip 2 times a year for last 15 years and nothing I have owned has come close to the rok.
  • AJ.ROK.400AJ.ROK.400 Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I'm towing a tandem most days and getting 850-900 k s out of the tank and I really run it down till no bars on. Last fill was 82.35lts.
    I've been driving diesels for years and only use Shell BP or Mobil fuel.
    The others will seriously reduce your range.
    Got 4500ks on the clock
    Having said that my fuelly web page shows less ?
  • twkgilltwkgill Member
    edited April 2012
    I travel 40km each way for work daily through Adelaide suburbs. I consistently get 6.8 there and 7.4 home. Just gotta drive a bit like a nanna and it drops right down. Hwy average is 8.8.
  • EarwigEarwig Supporting Member
    edited April 2012
    I've done a bit of research today contacting a few other members with canopies, racks and a bullbar and the general consensus is that most are getting between 10 - 11 liters per 100km's with these mods. Personally I'm getting an average of 10.5. I don't see this as a negative considering the size and weight of the vehicle compared to alternatives in the market. In fact it's still quite good considering I also have draws (usually full of recovery gear & tools), a winch, spotties, AT tyres & side steps. In reality I've killed the aerodynamics. Anyway something to consider when your considering changes to your Rok and comparing fuel consumption. A 130 liter tank will give me 1200km range with all the mods, pretty impressive.
  • Pelorus32Pelorus32 Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I filled up last Sunday at the service centre neat Calder Park. Went off to the Wombat and did about 4 hours crawling around the bush, some in low range 1st to 3rd. Then home and a week's running around town, with the occasional trip on the Monash freeway. This Sunday I did about 4 hours on tracks in the Toolangi forest but no low range. Lots of 1st gear high range. Then home and today I filled up at the service centre on the way to Geelong. 804.1 km and 8.9 litres/100 km. I'm happy with that. What hammers it for me is running around town - I've got a lead foot. Highway only I'd get over 1000km per tank.

Mine's un-modded except that it has sports bars and a couple of antennae.