Tyres & Wheels, Sizes & Offsets

Tornado_ALIVETornado_ALIVE Forum Addict
edited December 2017 in Wheel's and Tyre's
I thought I would start a thread (hopefully it can become a sticky) where we can contribute tyre side and wheel offset data in one thread. I did a lot of searching this forum before purchasing and would have loved for all the info to be consolidated in one spot.

Factory wheels

PCD – 5x120
Centre Bore - 65.1mm

16” Steel
Tyres – 205/??/R16
Rim width – 6.5”
Offset – +52mm

16” Tarama
Tyres – 245 / 70 / R16
Rim width – 6.5”
Offset – +62mm

17” Aldo
Tyres – 245 / 70 / R17
Rim width – 8”
Offset – +49mm

18” Durban
Tyres – 255 / 60 / R18
Rim width – 7.5”
Offset – +45mm

19”Alastaro
Tyres – 255 / 55 / R19
Rim width – 8”
Offset – +43mm

Wheels
Evo Corse Dakar
16" x 7"
offset +45
Rated to 1500kg

Tyres
Cooper S/T Maxx
265/75/R16

I personally would not go any bigger as it is very close (about 6 mm) to the upper control arm on full drop.

3-4.jpg

4-3.jpg

Fitted :-)

1-5.jpg

2-5.jpg

Comments

• davedave Supporting Member
    edited October 2012
    The width of the Aldos' is 8" not 6.5". :cool:
  • ozcaddyozcaddy Supporting Member
    edited October 2012
    Do not forget the "Aragonit" nice wheel that
    Is it the same as the Alastaro
    I know it is 19" but have not seen the width
  • Tornado_ALIVETornado_ALIVE Forum Addict
    edited October 2012
    dave wrote:
    The width of the Aldos' is 8" not 6.5". :cool:

Correct and fixed. Thanks :)

If you were going wider than 265/75/R16 or 265/70/R17, I would recomend an offset less than +45. Looks like a lot of the sunraiser style rims are running +30. I would not go taller (32") wthout a lift.
  • LuckyLukeLuckyLuke Supporting Member
    edited October 2012
    I definitely agree. I have Aldo 17s with 265/70/17 tyres and they just fit. I can't see them scrubbing anywhere while parked at full lock, always about 10mm clear. But when moving at full lock, I sometimes feel the slightest shudder as if scrubbing somewhere.

Love the look of my painted wheels, but if I had my time again I'd go for a better offset with aftermarket wheels.
    edited October 2012
    Note, this clearance reduces as the wheel travels to full downward travel, for example when you jack the wheel off the ground. The upper wishbone drops, coming closer to the top corner of the tire.

4-3.jpg
  • yojimboyojimbo Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm looking at a set of BMW 17" alloys with a 40mm offset.
    I'll post some pictures when I get them on.
  • SamboSambo Forum Addict
    edited December 2012
    yojimbo wrote:

Check the load rating first. Has to be at least same as you have now. Any less and you may have to consider any insurance issues. Not many BMW wheels would carry the weight of a loaded Rok (I think)
  • yojimboyojimbo Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Sambo wrote:
    yojimbo wrote:

Check the load rating first. Has to be at least same as you have now. Any less and you may have to consider any insurance issues. Not many BMW wheels would carry the weight of a loaded Rok (I think)

Thanks, didn't think of that. They are off an X5 4x4 so I will check to see if they will have a good enough load rating.

Cheers
  • MattyDeeMattyDee Supporting Member
    edited December 2012
    There are some people running BMW wheels with out any dramas. But yes in a serious incident where insurance company's go over everything with a fine tooth comb. You might not be covered :)

VeeDub Amarok 2.0L BiTurbo
  • nicknznicknz Supporting Member
    edited December 2012
    I have made it sticky
  • 69rolla69rolla Posting Freak
    edited December 2012
    I checked out X5 wheels and one particular model had adequate load rating, offset, etc. I can't remember which one it was. I think maybe the real ugly rounded 5 spoker, but don't quote me. They were dirt cheap too.
    edited February 2013
    Bump.... Hey nicknz. Looks like this has lost it's sticky in the forum upgrade.
  • SMW87SMW87 Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    you also need to add the Steel Rim.

16” Steel
    Tyres – 205R16C
    Rim width – 6.5”
    Offset – 52mm
    edited February 2013
    Thanks, edited my first post to include.
  • steveiehsteveieh Posting Freak
    edited February 2013
    Hey tornado, how are those tyres?, have you done much mileage on them?, noisy or not?.

Steve
    edited February 2013
    Pretty quiet (quieter than my old BFG AT and definatly MTZs), handle well for what they are (high profile agressive ATs), wearing well, good traction wet and dry........ And a good looking tyre.

Some interesting reading from another forum discussing the ST v's the ST Maxx

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=140692
    I suspect that the upgrade to the ST was because the majority of rural users who bought the ST bought it because it wasn't a full mud tyre, and then proceeded to treat it like a serious off road tyre.

Keep in mind that the case of an ST has two 1500 denier plies, similar in strength to the three 1000 denier plies in a BFG, in fact similar to most ATs.

The ST Max uses two 2000 denier plies with a 1500 denier ply wrapped the opposite way around the bead bundle. This makes it about the toughest radial ply tyre that is readily available, and certainly the most flexible......(reason for the opposite wrap, keeps the filler wedge smaller, thus allowing more flex at the bead......).

The STT, which used to be 2x1500 + 1x1000 denier is/has been upgraded to the same construction as the ST Max.

We have sold a lot of ST Maxes to pig hunters, who must be the hardest 4WD tyre users I know of. All report minimal damage and great mileage.
  • UnstableImageUnstableImage Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Just wondering if anyone knows what larger combo's you can put on a base model replacing the 205/16x6.5 no flares, no lift.

Was looking at the base model yesterday and was concerned about what I could actually fit under it to improve it's look and offroad performance. The stock bridgestones look like standard car tyres.

Cheers
    edited February 2013
    Just wondering if anyone knows what larger combo's you can put on a base model replacing the 205/16x6.5 no flares, no lift.

Was looking at the base model yesterday and was concerned about what I could actually fit under it to improve it's look and offroad performance. The stock bridgestones look like standard car tyres.

Cheers

I have just got a set of BFG KM2 235/85R16 (32") on my rok (no flares) on the standard steel rims.
    edited February 2013
    Cheers! That's a substantial tyre! Got any pics?
    edited February 2013
    Sure, this was taken just after I put them on. Will get some more pics showing the clearance next time I put them on.
    edited February 2013
    Cheers! They look great, I guess you only use them for play then?
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, well at 300 bucks a piece, I don't want the tar road to destroy them. So happy to only put them on for playing in the bush. :)

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
  • toasttoast Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    LuckyLuke wrote: »
    ...I have Aldo 17s with 265/70/17 tyres and they just fit. I can't see them scrubbing anywhere while parked at full lock, always about 10mm clear. But when moving at full lock, I sometimes feel the slightest shudder as if scrubbing somewhere.

...if I had my time again I'd go for a better offset with aftermarket wheels.
    Hi Lucky, I'm thinking of the Aldos and was wondering if a wheel that has a smaller positive offset (sits farther away from the body) of perhaps 30 instead of 49 would be better for 265-65-17 tyres? This is for a vehicle with stock suspension.

Cheers
    edited March 2013
    That post was only a few days in. Done about 15k now and no problems with tyres rubbing, though I did rip both front mud flaps off in the sand. I suspect they grabbed while reversing, but this is due to diameter and not offset. I've given it a fair hiding, so I can say with confidence that the 265/70/17s are fine with stock wheels. Many others on the forum with and without aftermarket suspension have backed this up, also with 265/75/16s - basically the same diameter.

Saying that, If you are looking at aftermarket rims, then a bit of extra clearance certainly couldn't hurt.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks, Lucky. I'm more than happy to stay with the Aldos, as I won't realistically be doing much off-roading (none if I get the 4x2).

Hey, how do you find the xRox bar? Is it a pita to clean, especially all the exposed underbody suspension? Love the look though.

Cheers,
    Nick
    edited March 2013
    I'm not really a clean car person. I pull the pressure washer out every now and again, and certainly after any trip on the beach, and find the bar pretty easy. Because it's quite open, it actually makes it pretty easy to reach most places. Would be a bit different perhaps if you were trying to get in there with a chamois...
    edited April 2013
    Haha, yeah I guess the question comes from my interest in detailing. I recently bought a stack of detailing stuff from the UK, including rotary, 3M pads, Scholl polishes, and a whole bunch of chemicals. I'll definitely be getting a pressure washer for the Rok, cos I don't wan't to hold back. It's a car to be used.

Just about to correct the paint on my XR5 so I can seal it with some Optimum OptiSeal before I sell her to get the Rok. I have had the 5 since December 2012 (only a few months) and I love it. But, it's just not practical so will go to someone who will love it as much as I do.

I'll be OptiCoating the Rok for sure.
  • AndysprofileAndysprofile Member
    edited April 2013
    Hi guys 'n gals,
    I just spoke to King Wheels (head Office) and the gentleman on the phone said that coming this September 2013, there will be 3 new designs on alloy wheels that will be black in colour.

Cheers

Andy.
  • bambazbambaz Junior Member
    edited April 2013
    sorry novice to all tech talk whats an offset???? looking at a highline is there any adantage for 18" wheels over 17"??
  • LeonFNQLeonFNQ Vendor
    edited April 2013
    The most best advantages with 17's are more tyre selection and easier to clean. The Durban's have a lot of corners for brake dust stick in.