LED lights on a caravan.

I need to replace some of the side lights on my caravan. Can I change some, or all of them, to LED? I have a VW tow hitch with VW wiring on a 2 year old Amarok. I have heard that changing to LED sometimes upsets the computer but I don't know if this is true. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks. David

PS. Just finished my first caravanning trip with the Amarok---- what a machine!

Comments

• Hi David,

LED trailer lights can cause an error lamp to illuminate on the dash if you have a VW wiring loom. I had this issue from new with my MY17 V6 Amarok and was told the only way to fix it was to buy the in-line module from VW for several hundred dollars.

This was a total waste of money as it did not stop the error lamp display and I managed to return it and get a refund.

After wasting much time over the matter the Workshop Foreman at my local VW dealer plugged in the VCDS software on his laptop and discovered the trailer ecu module was set to the "Rest of the World". He set the unit to "Australia" and I I have towed multiple trailers and campers after this change without the error lamp coming on.

NB: you should also be aware that you cannot engage "off road" mode when towing with a genuine VW loom - but that's a whole different can of worms that requires an "outside the square" solution.

(We have towed a T-Van over 25,000km off-road in the last two years and have used hill descent on numerous occasions - without overheating brakes - which is part of VW's argument about why they don't implement it with a trailer on.)

• My 19 V6 with VW loom and towbar has the error light on the dash when a trailer with LED lights is connected. VW had no fix and pretty much dismissed it telling me I had to go to a 3rd party to rectify or solder resistors in to the trailer loom. I just ignore it.

D

• David P said

"NB: you should also be aware that you cannot engage "off road" mode when towing with a genuine VW loom - but that's a whole different can of worms that requires an "outside the square" solution."

Just wondering; it should be possible to have trailer brakes wired through a second and separate plug, thus enabling off road mode to be selected while still having trailer brakes, by disconnecting main (VW loom) plug.