DPF Issues Amarok V6

I recently purchased a new Amarok Sportline V6. I made the decision after great success with my previous Amarok which I loved. i only sold it as my lease was up. I loved the new one for the first 2 weeks until the DPF light flicked on briefly (less then a second) and then the Glow Plug lights came on and the car went into limp mode (car had approx 1100km on the clock). It had to be towed to the nearest dealer for assessment. I received the car back after about 4 days and was told that it needed to be taken on a long drive occasionally to burn the DPF. The next week I took it on a long drive and all seemed to be progressing well. One week later, same issue. DPF light flicked on, glow plug light flashing, limp mode, towed to dealer- 1600km on the clock. Same deal with the dealer- "driver profile is the error". You need to drive it!! Now I live in a large town and the car takes me to work and runs my kids around a fair bit. There is some stop, start driving but all in all it gets a good run. 

Second debrief from the dealer says that it is driver profile that is causing the issue! The car is a month old and has spent 1/3 of its life off the road in the workshop! I am gutted. VW rolled out this information "you will need to occasionally drive your vehicle for 25 minutes in the fourth gear (manual transmission) or in selector lever position D (automatic transmission) at a speed of at least 70km/h with an engine temperature of at least 90 degrees Celsius."Never once did the dealer, prior to purchase give me this info. They finished the email with this gem "Please be advised that this matter has been discussed at the point of escalation level within the business and it has been decided that Volkswagen group Australia will not be assisting with providing financial support on this case moving forward"

My question here is, how common is this issue with the DPF in such a new car? Can the DPF be removed? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• The dealer is spouting nonsense.

The Amarok like all VAG diesels can do both passive and active regens.

A DPF regen can occur by injecting diesel into the DPF and creating a high temp burn - I've noted our Rok even doing this at idle (using OBD gauges and watching the fuel use and idle rpm).

The Rok can also do a burn as the dealer suggested at highish constant revs over a time period.

However, a DPF regen can occur without any specific driving behaviour.

Ofcourse it is wise to drive diesels on logn trips and not just for use idling around town. If idling around town on short trips all the time, the Rok isn't the wisest choice. Same goes for any DC diesel. Although the Rok has far fewer DPF issues than most other DC's (Toyota, Mazda, Ford)

The DPF can be removed but it will void warranty and is actually illegal and you can get defected for it.

• I completely understand your frustration, as my story is almost identical to yours. I also had 2.0l 4 cyl Amarok for 4 years that I never had a problem with and replaced it with a V6 update less than 12 months ago. I live in a semi rural area - Mt Barker SA, so it gets the occasional freeway run but mostly local trips. I had the first incident about 6 months ago, and the dealer regen'd the DPF and told me to take it down the freeway occasionally. They also told me that in Europe they are fitted with the additive injection system as it is required by law, but as this is not a requirement here, they are not fitted. I have just had another occurrence and have been told by the dealer that this is not covered under warranty and is chargeable. I think that this is total garbage from VW, and as far as I am concerned I have been sold a car that this not "fit for purpose". I have owned diesels for more than 20 years - from Toyota, Mercedes, Citroen and VW - most of those with DPF and I have never had issues with the DPF, apart from the Citroen - but that was after 140,000 kms so I can forgive that. I will be taking this up with the Dealership principal, and VW Australia. I got numerous VWs, and was in the market for a replacement for my wife, but if this is what we can expect, then I've bought my last VW. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else experiencing this problem - and the responses that they have had.

• Sorry for the stream of posts, but I just came across this on the VW Australia site - https://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/owners/diesel-particulate-filter.html

"If this symbol appears in the instrument cluster, do not switch off the engine. Take immediate action by driving your vehicle for approximately 25-30 minutes. This will assist the regeneration / cleaning process of the filter. Please note that freeway or highway driving above 70km/h is recommended to optimise this process. It is also important to continue driving for at least 10 minutes after the DPF indicator symbol turns off to enable the regeneration to complete in full."

So now, when you leave, you must allow at least another 40 mins just in case the light comes on - so if you have an appointment, you need to forget about that and keep driving. Also forget about the speed limit if you are in an urban area as you need to drive at 70km/h - I'm sure the police will understand. Are they serious!

• edited June 20

Good find. Seems applicable to the V6 as our 4 cyl Core definately does active and passive regens.

On 35,000 km and DPF light has never come on. We can read DPF regens via OBD and can see it happening even at idle when at operating temp.

Edit - oh and 60-70% of our driving are short runs in town with the odd run every weekend on highway for an hour or more.

• IainMIainM Junior Member

I have had my V6 go into limp mode twice as a result of a clogged DPF. This was within the first 18,000. Dealer checked the car and said everything was in spec and it was my use of the vehicle causing it. Too many short trips. At the time I was using it as a daily driver so it did quite a few short trips with regular, every week or two, trips of several hundred kilometres. As a result I got the VAGDPF app to monitor the situation.

What I have learnt is that in my case the DPF clogs to the point of having to do an active regen in somewhere between 180 - 210KM. It then takes about 20km to complete the regen. It seems that to commence a regen the engine needs to be fully warmed up with oil temp around 110 degrees. This normally takes about 10 to 15km from cold to reach the point it is ready for a regen. So from cold if the vehicle is a bout to do a regen it takes somewhere around 30-35km to complete.

What this means is you might do a trip of 400km and the car will have done 1 regen and is probably just about to start another one when you get home. If the next time you start it you only do a short trip, say 10km, you have clogged the DPF a bit more but it probably has not reached the point of starting a regen. If the next time you start it you do a trip of say 20km agin you have clogged the DPF a bit more but although it has probably started a regen it would not have completed it before you stop. From there the situation will just keep getting worse until you do a trip of at least 35km or so or the DPF light comes on.

I don't know how quickly DPFs clog on other makes but I think the problem with the Amarok is it clogs so quickly and then takes so long to complete the active regen. Effectively it is spending about 10% of its time doing a regen even if I'm on the highway. In suburban running it would be a higher percentage. VW have told me that the DPF needing a regen after about 200km is normal.

Some vehicles do a passive regen when the engine gets hot enough if they are under load but I don't think the V6 Amarok ever gets hot enough to passively regen. From the readings on VagDPF the exhaust temp normally runs around 300 degrees C give or take 50. When it does a regen it goes up to a bit over 600. Even on a long climb under load I don't see the temp get anywhere near that so I don't think it ever does a passive regen.

I will say that using the VagDPF app which cost about $6 has helped a lot as I now know exactly when it is going to do a regen and to some extent can plan around it. It's still a pain in the arse at times but at the moment it looks like VW are ignoring it and blaming the drivers even though they make no mention when selling the vehicle that it is not suitable for day to day running with lots of short trips.

Cheers Iain

• Agree Iain. This will be the last VW I buy. Who needs a car that tells you how to drive it. It is 2019 FFS. Get me to where I want to go and back again.

• doinitsidewaysdoinitsideways Junior Member

Can’t say I have had any issues with my 2018 v6. The first 15,000km I drove it to and from work a tad over 14km/15min drive each way. I now do 60km each way to work up the highway.

i notice sometimes it sits idling at about 900rpm, even from startup, and the rest of the time the usual 650ish idle.

my second choice was a hilux sr5 ruggedx... but with their white smoke trail during a burn and the dust bypassing the filter issue, glad I went with the Amarok...