yo

tuckerteetuckertee Senior Member
edited July 2012 in SA
surely someone has some good places in SA?? murray mouth.....
003.JPG 87.9K

Comments

• EBrokEBrok Member
    edited April 2012
    tuckertee wrote:
    surely someone has some good places in SA?? murray mouth.....

well the new rok is forecast to drive to Goolwa for the 1st drive.
    Elliston would be my answer.
  • icebergstuicebergstu Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Robe to beachport
    42 mile crossing to the murray mouth
    Port Victoria second beach to rickaby
    Point turton beach and dunes
    Border track
    Peake
    Flinders Ranges

Stu
  • pbissettpbissett Supporting Member
    edited April 2012
    In the limited research I have done several locations come up regularly;

1. Saunders Gorge
    2. Deep Creek Conservation Park
    3. Coles Crossing near Cox Scrub Reserve
    4. Morgan Quarry

I went searching for Coles Crossing yesterday but there is no access coming from the south so make sure you go in from Mount Magnificent Rd. Due to lack of time I didn't get to try going in from the correct end to dirty up the new Rok but next weekend I will be better prepared (i.e. not last minute) and probably head to Deep Creek. Coles Crossing is only a short run - 1/2 hour or so apparently so don't go there if you want to make a day of it,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • icebergstuicebergstu Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    pbissett wrote:
    In the limited research I have done several locations come up regularly;

1. Saunders Gorge
    2. Deep Creek Conservation Park
    3. Coles Crossing near Cox Scrub Reserve
    4. Morgan Quarry

I went searching for Coles Crossing yesterday but there is no access coming from the south so make sure you go in from Mount Magnificent Rd. Due to lack of time I didn't get to try going in from the correct end to dirty up the new Rok but next weekend I will be better prepared (i.e. not last minute) and probably head to Deep Creek. Coles Crossing is only a short run - 1/2 hour or so apparently so don't go there if you want to make a day of it,

There used to be great 4X4ing in Cox Scrub but now its a Heritage listed Conservation area. Apart from a couple of small puddles the old road is cabled off now. Not worth the wast of time.

Stay away from Morgan Quarry - Its a no go area now. Cops will be notified if cars seen in there. Not worth it.

Never been to Saunders Gorge but looks great!
    http://www.saundersgorge.com.au/

Stu
    edited April 2012
    Cheers Stu, I wish I knew that before Saturday!

I think $50 to use the gorge will be worth it so I'll hive that a try at some point too. Going to head up to Arkaroola later in the year and have a good go at that too.

edited April 2012
    Went down to deep creek today and unfortunately the boat harbor beach track was closed but the Rok ate up the blowhole beach track. If you go there ensure you have $9 to pay for the pass (more if you're camping).

Here's a quick pic of the Rok stopped part way back up the blowhole beach track (the top of the steepest section)
  • EBrokEBrok Member
    edited May 2012
    pbissett wrote:
    Went down to deep creek today and unfortunately the boat harbor beach track was closed but the Rok ate up the blowhole beach track. If you go there ensure you have $9 to pay for the pass (more if you're camping).

Here's a quick pic of the Rok stopped part way back up the blowhole beach track (the top of the steepest section)

Will be going to Deep creak next week for 3 days.Have not been for 15 years.
    Boat Harbor Beach Track closed is this permanent was hoping to go there?
    I do remember the blow hole beach track being very steep.Was in the car with Pommie tourists,if I remember the brakes on my Pootrol got a bit hot on the way down.
    edited July 2012
    Not a permanent closure, just during wet months I believe.

Went to Saunders Gorge today and had a bit of fun. There are a few steep climbs and descents and the whole track took around 3 hours.

There were also a couple of quite challenging sections that took a lot of head scratching prior to tackling them. One in particular that had me wishing I was in a bush basher rather than $50k worth of pride and joy. I had an "oh shit" moment on the descent from rocky point were the Rok slid into a deep hole I was trying to avoid. Felt like it was ready to tip over but thankfully she kept 3 feet on the ground and we soldiered on.

The end result was a good deal of fun and some pride at how well the Rok handled the more difficult sections. Despite recent rain it was pretty much dry which made it a little easier but some parts will be quite difficult in the wet.

A couple of my sons pics below, unfortunately they won't give the steepness and depth of some of the ruts and holes any real justice but you get the idea.

76d2e72f-ec84-9268.jpg
    76d2e72f-ec9c-ec4c.jpg
    76d2e72f-ecaf-5756.jpg
    76d2e72f-ecdc-e73d.jpg
    76d2e72f-ecf8-3623.jpg
    76d2e72f-edb1-ad79.jpg