V6 Engine Noise

MikeV6MikeV6 Junior Member
edited October 2018 in Engine
I've had my V6 for nearly 12 months now, 10,500km's on the clock.

I've noticed that the engine has got significantly louder, especially when cold. Started at around 5,000km's.

One of the reasons I didn't by a Ranger apart from the power issue, was that I did not want a diesel death rattle.
Has anyone with a V6 noticed the same?

According to VW, the engine will quieten down again at next service as they state that the run in oil is thinner and as it looses further viscosity this is contributing further to the noise. Next oil is thicker.
Anyone noticed similar situation with their own car, and after the first service did the engine quieten down again?

Cheers, Mike from Coffs.

Comments

• HI

My V6 has 44k on and developed a loud knocking sound, at 1100rpm can be heard very easy, on first visit to workshop vw EPPING for tapping noise they have acknowledged it is there but required a second visit with more time to find were it is coming from as no fault codes.

I t has now been in for 4 days and I have heard nothing apart from a phone call to ask for more time...

Hopefully they will not say its old oil and fob me off..

Kenny

' Melbourne

• doinitsidewaysdoinitsideways Junior Member

I recently had my 15,000km service on my 18 V6 Rok.

i have now noticed that after I drive for a little while and the engine is warm, if I turn off and come back and start after 5 or 10 minutes I get what ‘sounds’ like tappet noise for a few minutes.

anyone else experience this

ive never had this noise. Will be heading into VW to see what they say when I get some spare time.

• JoshLJoshL Senior Member

I have noticed this on my 2017 V6 as well, but it comes and goes. Usually I only hear it for less than a min when it's a cold start. Sounds like a "clack, clack, clack" noise, like you get from other Diesel engines. Maybe I just gotten use to a better and quieter Diesel?! :)

If it were just when cold I’d put it down to a cold diesel, but it does it when warm after being turned off for a bit... like they have used a thinner oil than the ‘run in’ oil as I never noticed it pre 15,000km service....

• My 2018 rock is doing it at idle and starting to get very loud and embarrassing has 26000 on clock it sounds like a loose timing chain taking it in to epping this week has any one had an outcome on the noise yet cheers.

• Problem solved it was a faulty vacume pump making the clack clack noise all good now happy happy days in this awsome machine

glad it was all fixed up for you!

• Jimbo-01Jimbo-01 Supporting Member

Yeah mines doing that same clack clack noise. Thanks for the update on ya rok issue I’ll now check the vacuum pump.

• Hey doinitsidways your problem sound just like my problem i rekon its your vacuum pump cheers

• Just had my vacuum pump replaced, 17k on the clock.

It sounded like a knocking sound, more from left bank, was intermittent but when it did it was quite loud and embarrassing, and distressing.

Took it in first time they said it was the timing, did some stuff , noise was still there, took it back and they replaced the pump now all good.

• Thats great glad its all sorted

• edited August 28

i have noticed also but i notice when I use for towing purpose when it produce some noise, few months ago i was doing a blocked driveway towing Manhattan, I notice the noise after that i google it and watched this video about V6 noise (bit . ly/2UbKNNT) then i got to know the reason of noise

• I had the same knocking issue. Took it to the dealer a month ago and they claim they couldnt hear it. after reading this i took it to dealer again today and they confirmed it is the Vaccum Pump. Will be replaced next week. Thanks for the info.