Radiator damage with 6mm AFN bash plate. How could it possibly happen??

suhua4suhua4 Senior Member
I recently discovered a leak at the bottom of the radiator. When the dealer took it off it seems the bottom of the radiator has impact damage. I have a 6mm AFN alloy bash plate. There were couple of hash moments and the plate does seem to push in a bit but still in proper shape, and at least couple cm from the radiator. The chassis cross bar is right in from of the radiator has no visible bending or damage. The AFN bullbar and the bash plate was installed over 2 years ago no one touching that area since then. Theres no accident to the vehicle.

To me it seems no impact could possibly push the bash plate in and hit the radiator. Even there was any the bash plate won't reshape itself or the cross bar would have been seriously bended.

Has anyone else had your radiator damage like this before? Would water crossing or mud push in between and cause the damage? Or the weight of the radiator itself could cause extreme stress on the mounting points and damage the seam?

19c2d95ab887af5499730b9891fc4ba8.jpg9f64d05e21117fa9cf9d367f471c309a.jpgc2d95e3835b181084f1f82152d7fda95.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Comments

• hungry6hungry6 Posting Freak
    edited October 2018
    I think something may have been wedge in there before the impact and therefore directly transfer any force directly to the radiator.
    And as life would have it, that same impact would have crushed and perished the evidence you need in your assesment.
    I had one of those round bauxite looking pebble do a number on me, the only evidence was a slight orane/red mark where it disintegrate.
  • suhua4suhua4 Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    hungry6 wrote: »
    I think something may have been wedge in there before the impact and therefore directly transfer any force directly to the radiator.
    And as life would have it, that same impact would have crushed and perished the evidence you need in your assesment.
    I had one of those round bauxite looking pebble do a number on me, the only evidence was a slight orane/red mark where it disintegrate.
    Thanks mate did you use the factory skid plate or other bash plates? I just looked back the factory plate it looks stronger and has more clearance to the radiator

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
  • hungry6hungry6 Posting Freak
    edited October 2018
    Aftermarket one, now back to the factory one. You are right regarding the strength of the factory one. I have belly flop onto coffee rocks coming over a lip and into a puddle that was alot deeper than earlier in the day. The impact was sufficiently hard enough to break cans of drinks and storage containers, the suspension did not come into play, the factory grids took the brunt of it, made a decent dint in 2 bars. I would trying to dig out bits of amarok if that was the 4mm job. I have also notice since that the grid design is better, as it allows deleterious materials to fall out.