Major Upgrade for 2018.

So over the last few days, I have spent countless hours on the forum, with external assistance as well.
The hack has now been eradicated, so for now we are running on the latest VB4 version (4.2.5).

We looked into upgrading to VB5, however there were too many issues.

We will not be resting on VB4 though. The plan over the next few weeks is to migrate the forum from VBulletin to Vanilla Forums.

Vanilla Forums is a business grade community forum, 100% hosted and supported by themselves. It is used internally by companies like Electronic Arts, Adobe, Harvard University, etc.
Which means we should have 99.999999% up-time. If ever we have any issues they will generally be able to fix it, proactively, within a few hours.
It is a much more modern interface with the ability to do things like drag & drop images, videos, etc, has social integrations (facebook/linkedin/etc). Overall, a much better product.

This is not a cheap exercise, however it is the right thing to do moving forward.

Our Vanilla Test forum will be up and running on Tuesday, from there we will do a test migration over and once I am happy with everything we will formally move the forum over.

Comments

• EdwinPEdwinP Forum Slave
    edited February 2018
    Great work calibrated [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  • drivesafedrivesafe Vendor
    edited February 2018
    Yep thanks for all time you put in.

We all benefit from your hard walk, and we do apriciate it.
  • ozcaddyozcaddy Supporting Member
    edited February 2018
    drivesafe wrote: »
    Yep thanks for all time you put in.

We all benefit from your hard walk, and we do apriciate it.

Ditto to that [MENTION=3]Calibrated[/MENTION] , but [MENTION=542]drivesafe[/MENTION] I am reporting you to the spelin monita , hope ewe "appreciate" my caring
    Here comes the however when I log out it says all cookies cleared , no worries , but you said clear the cache , OK how await your reply
    Oz
    edited February 2018
    ozcaddy wrote: »
    Ditto to that [MENTION=3]Calibrated[/MENTION] , but [MENTION=542]drivesafe[/MENTION] I am reporting you to the spelin monita , hope ewe "appreciate" my caring
    OK how await your reply
    Oz
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, should that read “OK NOW await your reply”?

Joking aside, I’ve just started using an iPad and the damn spell check is driving me nuts.
  • Net4x4Net4x4 Vendor
    edited February 2018
    Great work Ash, be great to this awesome Amarok community resource up & running again. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edited February 2018
    drivesafe wrote: »
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, should that read “OK NOW await your reply”?

Joking aside, I’ve just started using an iPad and the damn spell check is driving me nuts.
    [MENTION=542]drivesafe[/MENTION] , you got me , right through the heart , deadly stuff that , that being said it was a typo not a spelin misteak
    Oz (lol)
  • darbiodarbio Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Excellent news. If you need a hand, let me know. Done many a forum migration over the years. Cheers

edited February 2018
    [MENTION=542]drivesafe[/MENTION] , you got me , right through the heart , deadly stuff that , that being said it was a typo not a spelin misteak
    Oz (lol)
    Yep that was nasty of me but I just couldn't resist.

I can spell to save my life, and as above, this "S" of an iPad is just not helping.
    edited February 2018
    Net4x4 wrote: »
    Great work Ash, be great to this awesome Amarok community resource up & running again.

I don't have time to post much lately, but always like a good read and it was getting lonely!
  • scblackscblack Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Good stuff Calibrated - this site is a great resource.

I am on a MTB forum as well, which was using VB4 also, they have swapped to Xenforo forum software.
  • sp8472sp8472 Member
    edited February 2018
    I am still only able to access the site via tapatalk. I still get blocked by Telstra when accessing via chrome in my PC. I have cleared cookies and everything, but no joy. Any suggestions?

• CalibratedCalibrated Administrator
    edited February 2018
    scblack wrote: »
    Good stuff Calibrated - this site is a great resource.

I am on a MTB forum as well, which was using VB4 also, they have swapped to Xenforo forum software.

I looked at Xenforo, and I do like it, but although the platform is good the support base is tiny. Whereas Vanilla fully support their own platform.
    edited February 2018
    sp8472 wrote: »
    I am still only able to access the site via tapatalk. I still get blocked by Telstra when accessing via chrome in my PC. I have cleared cookies and everything, but no joy. Any suggestions?

Can you try with a different browser? I'm browsing issue free on Firefox.
    edited February 2018
    I am using Firefox and getting more issues than you can poke a stick at , cleared cookies , cleared cache but when i went in just now up comes the warning for a deceptive site
    I over-ride the warning to access the forum [MENTION=3]Calibrated[/MENTION] , Fundamentally nothing has changed
    Oz
    oh apart from [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] great joke
    edited February 2018
    Weird.

I am currently playing around with our test Vanilla Forum site, so it looks very likely that we will migrate over next week anyway.
    edited February 2018
    OK , [MENTION=3]Calibrated[/MENTION] below is the exact wording that pops up when I try to do anything on the forum , once I hit the ignore button all is then functional
    Oz

Deceptive site ahead

Firefox blocked this page because it may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing personal information like passwords or credit cards.

Advisory provided by Google Safe Browsing.
  • DrewDrew Super Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Don't take good the wrong way Oz...

1f6e0fa42242f0b0d3ce61ed9348ec9b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    edited February 2018
    Drew wrote: »
    Don't take good the wrong way Oz...

1f6e0fa42242f0b0d3ce61ed9348ec9b.jpg

OK if Google are wrong , someone with authority should clarify it for them , mate it is an inconvenience for me but so are a lot of things in this life however if they are correctable we must correct them not just push our heads in the sand and hope they will disappear
    No offence taken or given
    Oz
  • EdwinPEdwinP Forum Slave
    edited February 2018
    Hey [MENTION=3]Calibrated[/MENTION] when you migrate the forum over will tapatalk still work?

• tmaischktmaischk Junior Member
    edited February 2018
    edited February 2018
    EdwinP wrote: »
    Hey [MENTION=3]Calibrated[/MENTION] when you migrate the forum over will tapatalk still work?

I will be testing the Tapatalk plugin on Vanilla tomorrow. But they have assured me it will work.

• fishofisho Forum Addict
    edited February 2018
    OK if Google are wrong , someone with authority should clarify it for them , mate it is an inconvenience for me but so are a lot of things in this life however if they are correctable we must correct them not just push our heads in the sand and hope they will disappear
    No offence taken or given
    Oz

Hi @Oz. Just to let you know when you get that message from the almighty google it gives you an option to report an error. Send the report.
    The more people that do that the greater the chance of Google re-assessing the site and not coming up with those messages.
    It just has to get off their "bad list" which they do manually if more people reply/report.
    edited February 2018
    [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] , been there , done that
    Good to hear from you , hows tricks
    Oz
  • fishofisho Forum Addict
    edited February 2018
    Good thanks [MENTION=1381]ozcaddy[/MENTION].
    Been overworked and considerably underpaid. More than usual.
    How about you.
    Gotta get together for another fish n chips arvo soon.
    Say hi to Mrs Oz.
    edited March 2018
    [MENTION=4411]fisho[/MENTION] , Fish n Chips , for sure , Mrs Oz good as
    Been for a cruise not much else
    Catch up soon
    Oz
    edited March 2018
    Nice to see it’s back, and I bet someone has been putting in some long hours to get it back.

Thank you for the hard work!
  • fossROKfossROK Supporting Member
    edited March 2018
    Agree. I missed this forum, so I'm happy the hardworking is paying off for the admin team. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
  • DrewDrew Super Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Big thanks to [MENTION=3]Calibrated[/MENTION] ... Had the Brisbane Show to contend with in the middle of getting the forum back online.

Congrats to the Wolf 4x4 team for taking runners up for the best stand in show!

• Nick_SNick_S Junior Member
    edited March 2018
    Glad to see the forum back up, thanks for all the hard yards.
  • LoneRokLoneRok Senior Member
    edited March 2018
    Good to see the site back up and running, thanks Calibrated

LR