Accessories belt fails and causes catastrophic engine failure

Nicko86Nicko86 Junior Member
Hey Guys,

In the Vic high country on the weekend and had my accessories belt let go which then made its way into the timing belt cover and ended up breaking my timing belt. I was in the middle of nowhere and took 26hours of slow towing to get onto a main road so it could be put on a truck.

Ended up at the dealer for them to tell me the engine has suffered major internal damages,
Bent valves, damaged piston and ring and damaged head ect

After reading forums this has been a common problem for VW motors since 2011 and there has been no recall. Apparently they have revised the timing belt and accessorises covers plus thickened the secondaries belt and have been fitting these quietly on vehicles since.

Has anyone else had similar problems and what was the end result??

Im being told they are going to replace all damaged parts however I am nervous that more damage exists and it wont appear until later down the line when warranty runs out.

Oh by the way the car has less than 40000km on it!!!!!

Comments

• LukeCatLukeCat Posting Freak
    edited December 2017
    Nicko86 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

In the Vic high country on the weekend and had my accessories belt let go which then made its way into the timing belt cover and ended up breaking my timing belt. I was in the middle of nowhere and took 26hours of slow towing to get onto a main road so it could be put on a truck.

Ended up at the dealer for them to tell me the engine has suffered major internal damages,
    Bent valves, damaged piston and ring and damaged head ect

After reading forums this has been a common problem for VW motors since 2011 and there has been no recall. Apparently they have revised the timing belt and accessorises covers plus thickened the secondaries belt and have been fitting these quietly on vehicles since.

Has anyone else had similar problems and what was the end result??

Im being told they are going to replace all damaged parts however I am nervous that more damage exists and it wont appear until later down the line when warranty runs out.

Oh by the way the car has less than 40000km on it!!!!!

There's a big post on here about that happening bud I'll try find the link for ya

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • jpniekjpniek Member
    edited December 2017
    Terrible to still hear unsuspecting VW Amarok owners losing their engines due to this design flaw.

I thought that the only models that did not have the revised lower timing belt cover was 2011-2014c,but seeing that yours have only 40 000km's would seem to indicate that it's a later model?
  • nickelpickelnickelpickel Junior Member
    edited December 2017
    Sorry to hear this Nick.

I have personally and literally just got off the tow truck after my accessories belt let go on a flat bit of highway at 100kph. I have a tdi400 2012. I had the "robust" accessories belt kit and tensioner put in 15k ago at extra cost. My non robust did 120k and the robust 15k. I will await to see the damage tomorrow.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • RooRoo Posting Freak
    edited December 2017
    Just a FYI here guys.
    Everyone needs to constantly check their tensioner pulley. This is the little, middle pulley that you see as you look down the front of the motor. The bush behind the pulley fails and sits the pulley on an angle. The belt then runs harder on the front edge, causing it to fail. My first one let go at 150,000. Spaghetti everywhere, through the "revised" timing belt cover and caused the timing belt to jump one tooth. Luckily no damage done. Replaced with a genuine item.
    Second one started to fail in the middle of Australia towing a caravan! Had only done 40,000km. Managed to monitor it and get back home to replace it. It is a noticeable angle that the pulley sits on when it starts to fail. Don't just check your belts...
    Ps. Merry Christmas everyone!!
  • ScotRokScotRok Supporting Member
    edited December 2017
    I’ve always wanted to know if it is just vehicles that have been used off-road that have the failures or does it also happen to vehicles that have only ever been used on tarmac?
  • DrewDrew Super Moderator
    edited December 2017
    ScotRok wrote: »
    I’ve always wanted to know if it is just vehicles that have been used off-road that have the failures or does it also happen to vehicles that have only ever been used on tarmac?
    It's pretty random, but off-road use does increase the odds of it happening

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • My 2012 did this exact thing a couple months ago, with 110k on the clock...

Insurance company would not touch it as its a known manufacturing fault, though not an official one

I now own a dead rock that i still owe 25k on

Matt

• doinitsidewaysdoinitsideways Junior Member

Hi Max,

From everything I read, this seems to only be a 4 banger issue yeah?

What has been the response from VAG?

Given the response from insurance agency, maybe a call to the ACCC for advice??

ive never really thought about whether my comp insurance covers that sort of thing. I remember reading another post about someone claiming an engine seize on there insurance???

Josh

• edited July 6

Yea mate

Shes a 4 cylinder 2.0 TDI...

here is a scan of the engine the day6 after she croaked it

it shows the last 3 seconds of it life.... starting with a number of fuel rail/system pressure faults (?odd?) and ending 3 sec later with a cam position fault and the end of her life... an interestering read.... for those that know how does the last cam fault play out? as it shows cam position and last line 'gap found' is the end result.

i cant work out how to upload the text file....?? any help

ill post the last bit of the entire text file:

--------------------------

4114 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)

P3007 00 [101] - No Signal

Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Freeze Frame

Fault Status: 00000001

Fault Priority: 2

Fault Frequency: 1

Mileage: 112008 km

Date: 2076.14.16

Time: 15:19:03

Engine speed: 2004.00 /min

Normed load value: 99.6 %

Vehicle speed: 103 km/h

Coolant temperature: 91 °C

Intake air temperature: 55 °C

Ambient air pressure: 970 mbar

Voltage terminal 30: 13.820 V

Unlearning counter according OBD: 40

Engine start: start synchronization: EPM_MODE_OK

Engine start: start synchronization 2: EPM_FULL_SYNC

Camshaft speed (RPM): 0.0 /min

Camshaft position: start of phase window: 123.05 °

Camshaft adaptation intake bank 1: phase position: 393.53 °

Camshaft slope position: 0.00 °

Crankshaft signal evaluation: status: GAPFOUND

-------------------------------------