"Roll r Cover" vs "Roll n Lock"any experience/thoughts?

TS34TS34 Senior Member
edited March 2018 in Exterior Mod's
Hi all,

Have been looking at getting a rollnlock for my new ute but then came across these "Roll R Cover" electric ones when I was at the dealer the other day.

They seem competitively priced (and maybe more convenient when combined with the keyless tailgate lock) so wondering if anyone has one, knows anything about them and also how they compare to the roll n lock?

Key concerns:

Locking mechanism (seems to just butt up against the tailgate so could be easy to jimmy open)?
Water tightness?
Finish/quality?
Does it fully retract into the front housing (doesn't seem to in pictures)?

http://www.hsputelids.com/product/roll-r-cover-volkswagen-dual-cab-amarok/

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• ScotRokScotRok Supporting Member
    edited May 2017
    Looks like the electric version of the roll n lock.
    95% waterproof just like the standard one.
  • TS34TS34 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    ScotRok wrote: »

Thanks [MENTION=3959]ScotRok[/MENTION].

I thought the same bit wonder whether with the addition of electrics that there is more that can go wrong when out and about.

It also seems as though it doesn't fullly retract into housing (sticks out 6 or so inches).

Thinking of sticking with the std one for durability.

• ScotRokScotRok Supporting Member
    edited May 2017
    TS34 wrote: »
    Thanks [MENTION=3959]ScotRok[/MENTION].

I thought the same bit wonder whether with the addition of electrics that there is more that can go wrong when out and about.

It also seems as though it doesn't fullly retract into housing (sticks out 6 or so inches).

Thinking of sticking with the std one for durability.

The housing takes up a small section of the tray, but no enough to make much difference. Also the cargo manager is very useful, and worth fitting.
  • V6ROKV6ROK Member
    edited May 2017
    [MENTION=2742]TS34[/MENTION] what have you currently got?

I ask this as i optioned my new Rok with a Roll & Lock (had a hard lid on my old Rok) and i hate it. Where they retract in takes up far too much room (nearly 300mm height the full width of the tray and a milk create in tray length), you also loose a good 200mm in overall height when closed. It is handy if your always carrying tall items that would require you to remove a hard lid but that's the only advantage. Also it needs to lock into your tailgate so has a rail fitted at the very rear/top of it so if your putting heavy stuff in/out you need to take this into consideration.

I'm actually going back to a hard lid, in three years i had my previous Rok i only removed the lid 3 times, it can be done by yourself and they don't leak.

Just my thoughts on these types of covers.
  • TS34TS34 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    V6ROK wrote: »
    [MENTION=2742]TS34[/MENTION] what have you currently got?

I ask this as i optioned my new Rok with a Roll & Lock (had a hard lid on my old Rok) and i hate it. Where they retract in takes up far too much room (nearly 300mm height the full width of the tray and a milk create in tray length), you also loose a good 200mm in overall height when closed. It is handy if your always carrying tall items that would require you to remove a hard lid but that's the only advantage. Also it needs to lock into your tailgate so has a rail fitted at the very rear/top of it so if your putting heavy stuff in/out you need to take this into consideration.

I'm actually going back to a hard lid, in three years i had my previous Rok i only removed the lid 3 times, it can be done by yourself and they don't leak.

Just my thoughts on these types of covers.

Hi [MENTION=8811]V6ROK[/MENTION],

I currently have a hard lid and am very happy with it. As you say it's secure, dry, easy-ish to remove (I have had it off many times).

My issue is that I am getting an ultimate and there is no hard lid compatible with the sports bars.

I have thought about removing the sports bars and putting my existing set up on instead but then I lose the key distinguishing factor between the ultimate and other models (a bit show pony like I know but if you're spending the extra $$)!

Appreciate your feedback- it basically confirms that my concerns are reality but I don't see that I have any choice if I want to retain the sports bars.

• CalibratedCalibrated Administrator
    edited May 2017
    ScotRok wrote: »

It's HSP's own version of the Roll n Lock.

Roll n Lock do not, and to my understanding never will, make their E Series to suit Amarok.
  • surfermansurferman Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    So this is a crap product then?
  • CalibratedCalibrated Administrator
    edited May 2017
    surferman wrote: »
    So this is a crap product then?

Can't comment on that as I have never seen one in person.

However I have heard that the overall quality is not as high.

• Johnny99Johnny99 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    I've had my Roll-n-Lock installed on my Amarok from pretty much day one so it's been on for about a year. My truck sits out in the street all the time and is the same as the day it was fitted. They are well built units and solid. As mine is in the street I have to occasionally pop off the metal cover and clean out leaf litter in the gutter - but is no real big issue. Also I clean down the vinyl cover/fabric with a UV protectant every other month just to keep lasting longer even though no signs of wear as yet. Yes, they are not 100% waterproof but close to it. Probably found most water penetration if the rear of the vehicle is lower than the front as rain water doesn't flow into the gutter system but back towards the tailgate.

Not sure what [MENTION=8811]V6ROK[/MENTION] is carrying but I have not found that the roll-away mechanism intrusion limits anything I carry. I have carried tall items and I find the easy roll away function infinitely more easy than having to physically remove a large hardcover and then find somewhere to stow it, and then re-assemble when finished. As I have the Core model I didn't have a locking tailgate so the built-in locking feature is another reason I chose it - one key locks/unlocks tailgate and cover. It is a solid mechanism and would take some real effort and lots of time to jimmy open.

I also have the Cargo-manger option which is great for securing smaller items in the rub and partitioning off the tub if your carrying more sensitive items that you don't want rubbing up against something else.

I can't actually see why you'd want an electric retracting function - perhaps as show off value to your mates. The manual operation is dead simple and fast and carrying less weight and of course you've added another complex item that can fail.
  • TS34TS34 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    Johnny99 wrote: »
    I've had my Roll-n-Lock installed on my Amarok from pretty much day one so it's been on for about a year. My truck sits out in the street all the time and is the same as the day it was fitted. They are well built units and solid. As mine is in the street I have to occasionally pop off the metal cover and clean out leaf litter in the gutter - but is no real big issue. Also I clean down the vinyl cover/fabric with a UV protectant every other month just to keep lasting longer even though no signs of wear as yet. Yes, they are not 100% waterproof but close to it. Probably found most water penetration if the rear of the vehicle is lower than the front as rain water doesn't flow into the gutter system but back towards the tailgate.

Not sure what [MENTION=8811]V6ROK[/MENTION] is carrying but I have not found that the roll-away mechanism intrusion limits anything I carry. I have carried tall items and I find the easy roll away function infinitely more easy than having to physically remove a large hardcover and then find somewhere to stow it, and then re-assemble when finished. As I have the Core model I didn't have a locking tailgate so the built-in locking feature is another reason I chose it - one key locks/unlocks tailgate and cover. It is a solid mechanism and would take some real effort and lots of time to jimmy open.

I also have the Cargo-manger option which is great for securing smaller items in the rub and partitioning off the tub if your carrying more sensitive items that you don't want rubbing up against something else.

I can't actually see why you'd want an electric retracting function - perhaps as show off value to your mates. The manual operation is dead simple and fast and carrying less weight and of course you've added another complex item that can fail.

Thanks for your responses [MENTION=7987]Johnny99[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8811]V6ROK[/MENTION]

I was leaning toward the manual rollnlock for all the reasons jonny99 mentioned above (tried and tested/less to go wrong) and you have given me the confidence to lock it in now.

Obviously nothing is without compromise and the rollnlock has its faults I so guess I will just have to see how it goes.

• Lance BLance B Supporting Member
    edited May 2017
    I have had a Roll n Lock on both of my Amaroks since day one and find they are great. What [MENTION=7987]Johnny99[/MENTION] said is pretty much how I feel about mine.
    edited May 2017
    Thanks boys,

I have made up my mind now and will lock in a Roll- Lock for my car. I cancelled my order on a new Patrol and will instead get a used Q7 for mommy. It is MUCH cheaper and with the poor bastards dying to flog cars for EOFY its an easier kill than usual.
  • ChazzboltaChazzbolta Junior Member
    edited January 2018
    Hi guys thanks for the info, I just purchased my first Amarok and trying to decide between the roll n lock and the roll r cover.
    I like the convenience of the electric component in the roll r cover, HSP (installer https://hsputelids.com/product/roll-r-cover-volkswagen-dual-cab-amarok/) have also noted they use a reinforced aluminum which will be suitable to mount Rhino racks which is what I was after (will hold 150kg). Plus it's a 3 year warranty and manufactured in Melbourne where I live.

However can anyone comment on how the battery will like this electric accessory? Is there risk of me draining my beautiful new sweetheart Amarok battery? I'm totally green to this.

I've called the dealer and they have confirmed I wont be voiding any warranty getting this accessory. However I don't trust anyone in the car dealership industry!
    Thanks for your help.
    edited January 2018
    I had Wolf4x4 put a new Securi-Lid on my Rok last week. Give it a few weeks and I will tell you boys how it goes.
    edited February 2018
    Right folks,

So far so good. a month in and she is still sweet as a peach.
  • IemmantpIemmantp Junior Member
    edited February 2018
    surferman wrote: »
    Right folks,

So far so good. a month in and she is still sweet as a peach.

Surferman, could you post some pictures of the securi-lid on yours?

edited February 2018
    Sure mate, Will do so tomorrow.
  • Sym0Sym0 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    I have the Roll n Lock and its excellent, easy to open and shut and locks into the tailgate so it can't be opened unless the roll n lok is opened 1st. If you flich the latch closed straight away after opening it rolls back to the 1st 1/3 so you can root around and pull back again with out it having to go all the way forward.

You can also close it with the tail gate down and slam the tail gate shut and it will latch home with the roll n lok.

As for water proof? 95% might as well be 0% because any amount of water that gets in wets most things. Unless you are moving, then it seems the air pressure keeps it fairly dry. Sitting in the rain though and it finds its way in, all 5%.
  • Lance BLance B Supporting Member
    edited February 2018
    Sym0 wrote: »
    I have the Roll n Lock and its excellent, easy to open and shut and locks into the tailgate so it can't be opened unless the roll n lok is opened 1st. If you flich the latch closed straight away after opening it rolls back to the 1st 1/3 so you can root around and pull back again with out it having to go all the way forward.

You can also close it with the tail gate down and slam the tail gate shut and it will latch home with the roll n lok.

Roll n Lock do not recommend that you do this.
  • Sym0Sym0 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Do what

edited February 2018
    ahhh....that would be NOT to close the R-n-L cover on an open tailgate and then slam the tailgate closed against it!
  • Sym0Sym0 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    I don’t see why it’s the same movement and it matches very neatly with no effort, gentle click click done. Otherwise closing the lid last requires a slam which isn’t as sympathetic.

edited February 2018
    Not an issue then. It's your R-n-L so go ahead and do to it whatever pleases you.
  • Andy CAndy C Junior Member
    edited March 2018
    Good info here .. looking at something similar for my new Rok .. thanks for the posts
  • I’m trying to decide on a roller shutter for my ROK. I’ve narrowed it down to roll-n-lock or the retrax pro. I’ve ruled out the mountain top (which is standard on the ford ranger) because they offer poor security. There’s a YouTube showing that the aluminium slats are held together with rubber strips which can be cut open as easy as a canvas tonneau cover.

https://youtu.be/u4ZlB9Y8W_A