Truck deisel or ultimate/vortex?

Alan WAAlan WA Junior Member
edited October 2018 in Fuel and Oil
If the truckies don't use vortex or ultimate, should we?

Just wondering..

Comments

• ForbieForbie Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    Just to confuse the thread.
    And, what is special diesel?, which is a couple of cents more than the regular generic fuel.
  • huthy77huthy77 Member
    edited March 2017
    Best for the Rok is "fast flow" if you can get it... Great economy!!!
  • ScotRokScotRok Supporting Member
    edited March 2017
    BP Ultimate for me, but I've heard the lifted Rok's need "High Flow" !!!!
  • brookes2622brookes2622 Supporting Member
    edited March 2017
    Forbie wrote: »
    Just to confuse the thread.
    And, what is special diesel?, which is a couple of cents more than the regular generic fuel.

I was told once that it is a slightly higher cetane, some sort of cleaning additive and was anti-foaming. Could be BS.
  • AutodasAutodas Senior Member
    edited March 2017
    I was told once that it is a slightly higher cetane, some sort of cleaning additive and was anti-foaming. Could be BS.

I was recently involved in digging trenches for the piping at a new service centre and there was only 1 diesel receival point in the fill box where the tankers fill the underground tanks. Main reason for price diff I would think is volume. My bosses prime mover holds 1500 litres or thereabouts. A bit more than our 70-80 litres in the Rok.
  • Diver13Diver13 Supporting Member
    edited March 2017
    I work at Caltex in Brisbane . They make their own stuff and send product across the river to BP . It's all the same really just fancy advertising
    edited March 2017
    Diver13 wrote: »
    I work at Caltex in Brisbane . They make their own stuff and send product across the river to BP . It's all the same really just fancy advertising
    I notice a big change when using BP Ultimate over Caltex. Car is smoother and quieter, more power and better economy. It's like the fuel has a higher Cetane rating. I noticed it in the UK to when comparing different suppliers fuel BP was better.
    The base fuel might be the same but the additives aren't.
  • ozcaddyozcaddy Supporting Member
    edited March 2017
    The premium diesel fuels have a higher cetane level this is not like a higher octane in petrol , the higher cetane gives better and cleaner consumption and a quieter burn reducing the knock noise these motors generate supposedly they do not increase power
    Oz
    edited March 2017
    edited March 2017
    Sorry but we are not talking about the old country.
  • Alan WAAlan WA Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    Wonder if the truckies don't use it cause they do higher milage and
    Don't need it.
    Whereas most suburban owners of diesels do more short trips and need the extra cleaning.
    edited March 2017
    Diver13 wrote: »
    Sorry but we are not talking about the old country.

I wasn't saying to use it, it was more to point out that increased Cetane can improve power/performance.
  • RonnytheRokRonnytheRok Member
    edited March 2017
    who knows anyways ,just one of life's little mysteries,one thing i do know that the advertising department of BP is full of $hit.

Like a thousand Ravenous piranhas cleaning all this dirt from your engine cmon BP thats pathetic advertising

Caltex vortex diesel for me
  • DrewDrew Super Moderator
    edited March 2017
    I've found over 65000km that Mobil diesel produces the least DPF burns and best economy...

A mate who works in the industry puts it down to Mobil not using additives...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    edited March 2017
    Mobil are non existent now they have all but vanished
  • neilbtneilbt Member
    edited March 2017
    Is there a 7-Eleven servo near you?
    Mobil are non existent now they have all but vanished
    edited March 2017
    neilbt wrote: »
    Is there a 7-Eleven servo near you?

Yes complete with an Under paid Curry Muncher and a slurpee machine
  • Alan WAAlan WA Junior Member
    edited March 2017
    Drew wrote: »
    I've found over 65000km that Mobil diesel produces the least DPF burns and best economy...

A mate who works in the industry puts it down to Mobil not using additives...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think that's what I'm wondering about. The additives.
    They introduced ultimate in Kal a while ago saying how good it was but it wasn't there for long.
    Can you have a DPF without knowing?
    edited March 2017
    What do you call a curry muncher who doesn't work at a 7-11 ?
    ........ doctor !
  • ZedZed Junior Member
    edited October 2018
    New to forum and just adding some content here. The thing you're looking for with diesel is the sulphur content. Sulphur is what produces soot, and in modern diesels, soot is not good for the after treatment components like EGR and DPF's. I have a white paper on this, and need to check, but there is 'Low sulphur diesel' which is 500ppm or less, then there's 'Ultra low sulphur diesel' which must be 15ppm or less. You may find that the premium diesels are the ultra low sulphur. I will do some research on this as I am back in Aus after 7 years away in the jungles of Asia where fuel quality is utter crap.