Coil light blinking.

tyahardingtyaharding Junior Member
edited July 2018 in Engine
Hi all, my coil light is coming on every now and and then. When I switch car off and restart it disappears. I'll make a call to the mechanic and see what they say? Has anyone had this. What was the fix? Any ideas. I'm over cautious now after two engine replacements ( last one only 2 months ago) 150k klms 2011 ROK
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• MarkVMarkV Supporting Member
    edited December 2016
    tyaharding wrote: »
    Hi all, my coil light is coming on every now and and then. When I switch car off and restart it disappears. I'll make a call to the mechanic and see what they say? Has anyone had this. What was the fix? Any ideas. I'm over cautious now after two engine replacements ( last one only 2 months ago) 150k klms 2011 ROK
    Thanks

Is it going into limp mode?
  • tyahardingtyaharding Junior Member
    edited January 2017
    No not at all. Drives like normal. Intermittent. Never goes off when driving. Only when switched off and re-started.
    Thanks for responding

• IfTheVolksIsARoknIfTheVolksIsARokn Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    Had the same on Friday. Came on twice on the trip from Melb to Syd. Managed to get it scanned in Campbelltown and they found exhaust sensor fault. Apparently it is common fault. I was told it was not a static fault and unless it goes into limp mode should be ok. I will be booking in to get fixed once everyone opens again. However the manual says "fault with engine management" so your fault could be completely different. Best of luck with it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for that, good luck to you too.

edited January 2017
    Had mine scanned today too. Same problem. They cleared the faults drove it around a bit and said keep an eye on it and if it come son again come in asap and they will put the tool and scan again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • DanmccDanmcc Junior Member
    edited February 2017
    This started happening with my build 11 rock a while ago - goes into limp mode while driving and would be dangerous on highway - took it to a dealer service and apparently was the electric water pump intermittent fault was quoted approx 430 for the part to replace.
    The fault would occur say once every two weeks, quick fix by restarting - took many times on Occassion so found it successful if foot to the floor when starting engine. I degreased engine and checked all electrical connections and touch wood hasn't occurred - been six months so yet again a dealer going for the quick fix... This fault would see the rok on the side of the road a lot but then again it's a familiar place as I had the Serp belt failure along with the plenty on here as well 3 weeks out of warranty with the dealer saying its a one off...
  • sarmetsarmet Junior Member
    edited December 2017
    I have had the engine light come on a few times and the coil light engine derates. Took it to VW and no fault found. $187 thanks. I cannot believe the engine can derate and not show a fault.

• andrewlikeshisrokandrewlikeshisrok Junior Member
    edited July 2018
    I hope everyone has been getting to the bottom of these issues?

I had the flashing glow plug light and limp mode for about 18months. Only when under load on the first hill of the morning then a reset and it would be fine of the day.
    About a month ago this progressed to the glow plug, cat light, and an O2 error code, these lights could not be reset by restarting, but no limp. Then two days later DPF light, exhaust temp sensor and DPF clogged error codes (P2463; P246E; P246F) and limp mode that could not be reset.
    Both sensors replaced (was the post exhaust sensor, orange plug), seems to be running okay for now.

Fuel use also went through the roof during the 18 months but I didn't know at the time if it was related to this or the emissions recall that coincided with all this.
    (Cause of my issues couldn't be found during the 2 services during this time).

Others on here have had faulty MAP sensors or vacuum leaks causing the described intermittent issues due to over or under-boost readings, sending the car into limp mode with flashing glow plug that could be reset.

Best of luck, was driving me nuts.
  • ahebronahebron Junior Member

Mine did this late last year.

EGR cooler was sooted up. 120000km 2014

A day of cleaning with various liquids and oven cleaner got the job done and light hasnt been on since fingers crossed.