Project LS-Rok

LS-RokLS-Rok Member
edited August 2018 in Members Ride's
Just wanted to introduce you to my car and my project.
It’s a 2013 Amarok 2,0 BiTDI 4 Motion with 180 hp. It’s the manual shift with the center and rear axis lock.
I own the car since almost 2 year and haven’t done so much on it.
Just changed wheel to BMW X5 wheel. I added the Delta 4x4 bull bar (just show). And off course my hood figure – Rubber Duck – I made with my 3d printer.
A couple weeks ago I deiced to take the Amarok to the next level. The engine the wrong concept for me and since the release of the V6 prices for the 4 cylinder is down. So the idea was born to do a engine swap. First Idea was, using a corvette LS1 engine. Good horse power and very cheap to get.
So the Project LS-Rok was born. We haven’t started the swap. There are so many things to check with the German officials, that the planning takes very long. Start of the swap will be beginning of next year.
Due to German regulation, I cannot take the engine (LS1). So we are looking for alternatives. Since the newer Corvette engines are much more expensive we are thinking about to go with a Audi 3.0 TFSI (my favorite right now) or a 4.2 FSI. Right now we car checking dimensions of the engine, if it would fit in the Amarok engine bay.
Anything else we are planning on going with some body modifications. Wider, higher, better.
I already have seen some interesting things in the Forum.
I also would like to get rid of the plastic hardtop and get some metal one done. I need the space for my dog and the stuff you need to take with you when you have kids ;-)
I am happy for input and ideas about must haves for the Amarok 

Thanks a lot.

IMG_0176.JPGIMG_0518.JPG

Comments

• bt50libt50li Forum Slave
    edited September 2016
    LS swap would of been slick, too bad
  • DrewDrew Super Moderator
    edited September 2016
    I'm sure plenty of us will watch your engine swap with interest!

Not swapping to an Audi diesel?

Welcome to the forum... :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
  • rpmpestrpmpest Banned
    edited September 2016
    There is a company here that has done a single cab Rok with an LS1, it is a drag car so all out mental piece of gear.

I would love to see a 4.2 in the Rok but I think thats what MTM put into the Orange one?
  • LS-RokLS-Rok Member
    edited September 2016
    Question about, why not Diesel. Main reason is, I do not like diesel Engines.
    The other reason is, MTM put a 4,2 Diesel in there car.
    We were thinking about putting the V10 Diesel in the Amarok. But I love the gasoline Sound. And from a pricing standpoint, it's cheaper to drive gasoline than Diesel, for me.
    An one other big Argument is, I want to Keep the stock Transmission and differentals.
    MTM for example uses the Q7 drive Train and looses all the nice offroad gimmicks.
  • LS-RokLS-Rok Member
    edited September 2016
    Yesterday was time for some break tuning. What a shame to drive around like that.

But at least breaks are working way better now. :-)

IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
  • ow31ow31 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    LS-Rok wrote: »
    Yesterday was time for some break tuning. What a shame to drive around like that.

But at least breaks are working way better now. :-)

IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg

You got your money's worth out of those eh.
  • SharkieSharkie Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    I have read somewhere that a 4.2V8 petrol had been fitted to an Amarok in a conversion. So it is certainly do-able.

Also, ETKA lists (or listed about 2 years ago)the 3.6 V6 petrol as an engine for the Amarok and I understand that VAG did run a few petrol V6 prototypes ..... I'd be keen on a 3.6 V6 conversion.

That said, the current 206kw Golf R engine will be simple bolt in job as the mounts are the same as that in the TSI Amaroks .....
  • ozcaddyozcaddy Supporting Member
    edited September 2016
    The Amaroks used at the Sochi Winter Olympics were V6s
    Oz
  • LS-RokLS-Rok Member
    edited September 2016
    Since MTM fitted the V8 Diesel in the Amarok I am sure that the V8 petrol will fit too.
    The engine base is pretty much the same.

I am more and more drifting away from the V6. The engine is too expensive.

We were thinking about the 2.0 turbo engine. I had a car with this engine. I was running 350 hp and a friend of mine over 500 hp on this engine. But I think the Amarok needs more cubic centimeter :-) I am no fan from down sizing.
    [MENTION=8206]ow31[/MENTION] - that's for sure my friend. :-) But I found out, something is wrong with the drum breaks. Adjusting this, sucks.
  • LS-RokLS-Rok Member
    edited September 2016
    Time goes by and the problems are getting bigger and bigger. Biggest issue is getting the right engine and meeting the german law..
    They go totaly stupid with the emission laws. A couple years ago it was so easy, doing projects like this.

I was thinking about picking up the idea with the 2.0 TFSI engine.

But what I was wondering. How is the Amarok running with the stock engine? Does anyone has this engine over there?
    I know I can put a lot of power in it, but will a 4 cylinder engine be the right one for a 2 ton vehicle..

I know I am jumping back and forward a lot. It's just not so easy. And I was almost thinking about keeping the diesel engine and put the money in the styling of the car.

But I am not a big fan of diesel engines.
  • JZX100JZX100 Member
    edited September 2016
    What would your budget be for an engine conversion?
    edited September 2016
    LS-Rok you've made your name LS-Rok, you've talked about doing an LS-Rok, don't mod plate it, don't open the bonnet and just make a bloody LS-ROK. How many times have the cops opened your bonnet, never. There is only two things stopping you from doing it, so bugger off to your room and stand in front of the mirror and have a good hard look at yourself. You're going to drop that big v8 in there and don't come back out until you do.
  • rpmpestrpmpest Banned
    edited September 2016
    bt50li wrote: »
    LS-Rok you've made your name LS-Rok, you've talked about doing an LS-Rok, don't mod plate it, don't open the bonnet and just make a bloody LS-ROK. How many times have the cops opened your bonnet, never. There is only two things stopping you from doing it, so bugger off to your room and stand in front of the mirror and have a good hard look at yourself. You're going to drop that big v8 in there and don't come back out until you do.

Oli sometimes I dont know if you're being a really good motivator or just a turd................!!
  • LS-RokLS-Rok Member
    edited September 2016
    But he is right.. down the road it's bull**** putting a tsi engine in the car. It's a small engine again. And I would not be happy for a long time.

So let's stick to the plan!!!

The cops are not the Problem. But we have to have our cars checked all 2 year. And this guys will find out. There are ways.
    But I rather w
    edited September 2016
    rpmpest wrote: »
    Oli sometimes I dont know if you're being a really good motivator or just a turd................!!

What me, a sh!t stirrer. Oh my I do declare I've never been labelled as such a thing in my life, just seems old mate is scared that's all ;).

V6 Roks are cr@p, LS V8 Roks are cool, do it don't let fear and common sense get in the way of a slick ride.
  • rpmpestrpmpest Banned
    edited September 2016
    bt50li wrote: »
    What me, a sh!t stirrer. Oh my I do declare I've never been labelled as such a thing in my life, just seems old mate is scared that's all ;).

Why I outta, hold me back............................hold me back!!
  • LS-RokLS-Rok Member
    edited September 2016
    Since I need to save another 10K € for my engine swap, what takes me about one year, I decided to do some small modes on the TDI to gain more power.

First is a new Intake..

Next will be DPF delete, custom air filter and a tune. This should be good for 2017..

Stay tuned..

IMG_0997.jpg
  • LS-RokLS-Rok Member
    edited October 2016
    Yesterday we went a little bit offroad the German way.. This means you have to go in a offload park.

But it was fun to spent some hours there. Had a lot of fun with the Amarok and great people..

Here is a small video. Sorry for the poor quality. Cheap equipment. Will get better the next time.
    I could also add no music to some stupid license regulations..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIidfNlvJIg
  • RamarokRamarok Junior Member
    edited June 2017
    The 2.0L twin turbo diesel probably produces more power than a secondhand LS engine below 2500rpm, which is where the engine typically spends most of its time. Talking say a 460nm LS version, but even later versions may be the same down low(?). So i suggest you aim for something really special, whatever you do.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • surfermansurferman Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    Hey I might be game to drop some coin to put a 3.2 or 3.6 V6 into the Rok.. [MENTION=8498]LS-Rok[/MENTION]...news?
  • LS-RokLS-Rok Member
    edited January 2018
    Sorry no progress. Based on German regulations it’s basically not possible to install an engine that is not available in a car. Still running the 2,0 tdi.
  • LS-RokLS-Rok Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes I am still alive and the Rat-Rok still exists. We spent quiet some time on tours with this car, and I did a lot of new mods and went so a new directs.

No more bigger or other engine. With the stupid german laws, it's no way.

So I was working on, get everything better. Took out the diesel particle filter and did some heat wrap on the down pipe, to keep temperature lower in the engine bay.

I was making a new roof rack and got some paint on it, finally.

Right now everything will be prepared for the next offroad tour.

Thant's how it looks like, right now.

Amarok 2.jpg

Amarok 1.jpg
  • okarokokarok Member
    edited August 2018
    How difficult would it be to do a LS swap???? Physically fitting it in is one thing, but making all the electrckery still work properly with the canbus would be a nightmare! Anyone think it would be realistically possible to keep all functions?
    edited August 2018
    okarok wrote: »
    How difficult would it be to do a LS swap???? Physically fitting it in is one thing, but making all the electrckery still work properly with the canbus would be a nightmare! Anyone think it would be realistically possible to keep all functions?
    Pretty challenging, given VW don't do an LS series engine management system

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • okarokokarok Member
    edited August 2018
    Yeah no **** Sherlock. It could be done. You just need the balls (and money) to do it.
    edited August 2018
    Biggest challenge would be the electrical interface for the traction management, and getting it into the engine bay.

And engineering...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • okarokokarok Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm not overly concerned with engineering. I think it would pass. Amarok Chassis is one of the best on the market. Very strong. Arguably better than Colorado and they can be engineered with LSA's.
    And I know it fits in the engine bay.......
    So yes, biggest challenge is electrical engineering nterface. Thinking would keep original ecu in there so it 'thinks' it's still running vw engine. T off sensors, etc. but would still be lots of electrickery headaches.