Moreton Island

edited January 2018 in QLD
Want to get over there soonish. Does anyone have any good oil on it.
Had a bit of a look at the National Parks site. Looks like a zillion options for camping. Outlines fees and rules.
What should the uninitiated be on the look out for?
Pretty ok with the supply the lot yourself sort of thing.
How crowded does it get outside of school holidays?

Comments

• IndigoIndigo Supporting Member
    edited August 2016
    Want to get over there soonish. Does anyone have any good oil on it.
    Had a bit of a look at the National Parks site. Looks like a zillion options for camping. Outlines fees and rules.
    What should the uninitiated be on the look out for?
    Pretty ok with the supply the lot yourself sort of thing.
    How crowded does it get outside of school holidays?

Have a chat with @Bt5Oli it is his favourite destination http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/member.php/1669-bt50li
  • ToeyToey Supporting Member
    edited August 2016
    Following.

I'm heading there for a week in March in my rok, along with my parents in their patrol and my sisters family in their car (not sure what they will own come then) and was going to ask the same sort of things closer to our departure. We won't be camping as mum can't handle roughing it any more but we will be doing plenty of exploring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • bt50libt50li Forum Slave
    edited August 2016
    Think I've been over about a dozen times, love the place. Questions ask away
  • ToeyToey Supporting Member
    edited August 2016
    1. Best place for some seafood to be cooked for us? Or any other eateries worth a visit (mums 70th while we are there so want to take her somewhere nice)?

2. Must see places on the island?

3. Any over rated places?

4. Any places a stock rok (bar AT tyres and recovery points) shouldn't attempt to visit?

5. Any water crossings that I may need a snorkel for?

That's all I can think of for now.

edited August 2016
    1- There is a resort there but the food ain't that good. Best place to eat is the weber. It's a lot more isolated than people think.

2- Everywhere there isn't a township, lighthouse/big sanddune, honeymoon bay, you need to visit them all but light house with chips dips and couple of bottles at sunset is the closest thing to heaven you can get. Getting around the island is very much dictated by the tide times, know them, learn them, respect them. Most people stay on the Western side, if the wind is down the Easyern side is pretty much your own beach, that's where I camp everytime but I have secret spots.

3- Townships are horrible, they are full of people, people suck. That and the desert. It's just a big sandy hot place with tourists everywhere.

4- Have seen Rav 4's make most places, if it looks nasty don't do it but you will go anywhere, REMEMBER traction control off, off road on everytime you start the car. Stay away from diff lock and if anyone says something else about what you should and should have on tell them they're wrong. Heaps of side tracks that would scare even the most dedicated 4byer, if it looks wild go for a walk, lot of people have put them on their lid going to fast around blind corners.

5- again only if you go chasing them on the side tracks, tea tree oil can make what looks like a very small puddle into a holy ship moment like this one did https://youtu.be/b0MSKz5VXIA .

Mate that place is the BEST place I've ever been, my two year old son has been 5 times, once in the womb but it counts. Take your time, go exploring, know and respect your tides and good luck not going back.
    Cheers Oli
  • edited August 2016
    That sounds like what I was hoping for. Fraser's quiet cousin. I can't do DI anymore either. Been going there since I was 8. The place is a toxic cesspit now sadly and full of.....people. I guess it's just too easy these days. Depends what you're looking for.
    If you did need to make a phone call I'm guessing the light house may get service? Sad It's even relevant- (I'm not looking to hunt pokamon)
    I think I'd be pretty much an Eastsider too. Is it still a bit quiet over East if I was unlucky enough to get there in school holidays?

Great info Oli. Thanks mate. I reckon there may be a few more questions down the track. Best to get over there find out for real.
    Mick
    edited August 2016
    Mate is properly perfect, the green morons haven't got there, safety department haven't got there noses into the place either. Just a good beach driving and atmosphere, and because of the cost to get over there you don't get moronic ranger/patrol drivers cutting hoops everywhere. As long as you're with Telstra you'll be able to chase Pokemon most of the island, limited but enough to make calls of needed. We were there on a long weekend on school holidays, due to sticking to the eastern side you wouldn't of known it was a busy time other than when you're on the barge. Ask as many questions as you like but it is a very hard habit to stop going to moreton.
  • edited August 2016
    Awesome. Ta mate.
  • BusablokeBusabloke Senior Member
    edited August 2016
    Going there in November. Been quite a few times. Only time I came close to getting stuck was in a Jeep. Going from Bulwer onto the beach. Sank to the floor almost inbthe soft sand. Drove it out eventually. Got caught off guard on the track to Blue Lagoon. Track went underwater and came in through the doors on the Hilux I had at the time. Couldn't turn around as there was a few behind me. Made a bow wave and crossed my fingers.
    edited August 2016
    [MENTION=7881]Busabloke[/MENTION] been stuck plenty of times, my two brother in their cars plus another mate' bet you can't drive that' kind of stuck. Seen a troopy defy gravity and not roll, that was incredible. My favourite crossing though, fresh water https://youtu.be/SomIYpP_Npk
    edited August 2016
    I must just be lucky with the weather eh. I honestly wouldn't be game enough yo go through there.
    edited August 2016
    [MENTION=7881]Busabloke[/MENTION] They've done a lot of work to the place in the last four years, the build up of water around the place use to be ridiculous, ridiculously fun as you were usually the only one brave/stupid enough to drive through it. Check this video out, this was what blue lagoon use to always be like, crapy quality but show what it's use to be like driving from blue lagoon car park to the beach, been another foot deeper at times. https://youtu.be/50OPyCkXibw
    edited August 2016
    Wicked. Not quite that deep whenni experienced it. My Mrs would tear me a new one if I took her through that

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    edited August 2016
    Busabloke wrote: »
    Wicked. Not quite that deep whenni experienced it. My Mrs would tear me a new one if I took her through that

Funnily enough that first one, the tea tree oil one I was half way through wiring the ute up at the time and had left a bung out in the rush to get to the island, that bung was right at the missus footwell at ankle height. When the nose sank the wife's legs got smashed with water, I will never forget the scream. She thought we were sinking, funniest thing, well for one of us it was. I cried laughing for hours over that.
  • chiselchisel Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    Love Moreton. Pity the barge cost is a bit silly these days.

Anyway, I have only seen water on the tracks there a few times mainly around that 2011/2012 period when there was a lot of rain in SEQ. Maybe I had just been lucky all the other times.

We camp on the eastern beach to 1. get away from others as best as possible, 2. for some decent surf fishing, although that can be hit and miss.

Good spots:
    - Lighthouse
    - North point
    - Blue lagoon
    - Sand dunes and sand flats western side down south a bit

If you want someone to feed you try to stay near Bulwer. Don't think there's anywhere else really (Tangalooma sure but it isn't setup for people to drive to).

Can be some soft sand - one day we were setup at Bulwer wrecks and watching every second 4wd get stuck trying to get off the beach. Worst in mid-summer. Usually not too bad.
  • ow31ow31 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    The view from the top of the big sand dune is well worth the hike up.
    edited November 2016
    Just arrives on Moreton Island. 1St impression of driving the Rok on soft sand. Smoothest vehicle I've driven here. Been here in Range Rover, Hilux and Jeep Grand Cherokee in the past. ROK outdoes any of them. Tyres at 15psi. ESC off, Off-road on. Feels great
  • snapsimosnapsimo Supporting Member
    edited November 2016
    So itching to get over there.

• KatabolismKatabolism Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    Good info there, heading over with any luck at the end of the month, providing work doesn't change my plans again :mad:
    edited November 2016
    Mixed day on the island today. Lost the rear muffler on the track to East beach somewhere. Didn't realise until I was attaching a tow strap to it to drag a navara around 5km into Bulwer. His fan blades had let go and he cooked the engine. Took the high tide bypass track or tried to to get back to the resort and got well bogged. The rubber matting that aid getting off the beach somehow been turned on its side in the sand and became like an immovable wheel chock. Couldn't dig it out to get maxtrax under it. Rear axle was buried so couldn't get any momentum any direction, add the dreaded no torque in reverse and it was all getting a bit frustrating. Guy in a landcruiser dragged us out backwards eventually and then he got bogged too. All in all a fun day at the beach. First time I've ever got stuck there in possibly 12 yrs of going there. Having said all that the Rok is awesome in the sand and it was just unfortunate I got bogged where I did getting off the beach. If the rubber thing hadn't of been there it probably wouldn't of been an issue but as it was the bit I caught just stopped us dead in our tracks.. The tracks are really in poor condition though. Tyre pressures have now been dropped to 10psi.
  • bangers77bangers77 Member
    edited November 2016
    I'm thinking of going next year, what would the chances be of towing a Jayco pop up camper around, is it too hard or a possibility??

Cheers Mark
  • DingeeDingee Junior Member
    edited November 2016
    The resort bypass track and middle road would have to be the worst tracks on the island. Most other tracks are pretty straight forward.
    edited November 2016
    b95336f920f3dede37f97b8b93af7a57.jpg

• snapsimosnapsimo Supporting Member
    edited November 2016
    You can see that mat can't you. It would be like hitting a arrestor cable on an aircraft carrier. No wonder you stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    edited November 2016
    bangers77 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going next year, what would the chances be of towing a Jayco pop up camper around, is it too hard or a possibility??

Cheers Mark

Winter is better than summer. In summer I would advise to go with a friend who is not towing so they can stay ahead and snatch you out quickly. It depends a bit on where you are going to camp too. If you're just going across the middle road and up the eastern beach then you've just got a few gnarly bits on that middle track to deal with ... and getting back onto the track, off the eastern beach, when you leave.
    edited November 2016
    Only thing I've towed over was a navara the other day 3b69ec691a67154b4f3a230b89136eb2.jpg

edited November 2016
    I've towed a heavy camper trailer on moreton in the middle of summer but that was with a turbo-diesel 100 series with 33s. I had issues getting off the eastern beach but dropping pressures (to 12, I think) and maxtrax had me out. I would not contemplate towing the same trailer in the same conditions with the amarok. At least not yet ... I trust the amarok on the beach by itself but it's a lot smaller/lighter vehicle than the 100 so it would be easier to lose momentum, I think.
    Anyway, I'm sure it is just as capable with the right setup and experience.
  • IndigoIndigo Supporting Member
    edited November 2016
    Just remember if you tow a trailer with the ROK on sand you have to unplug the trailer plug to allow ROK to go into off-road mode
  • bangers77bangers77 Member
    edited November 2016
    Indigo wrote: »
    Just remember if you tow a trailer with the ROK on sand you have to unplug the trailer plug to allow ROK to go into off-road mode

Is that only if you have genuine harness & plug??

I understand Hayman Reece is different but I've been wrong before

Mark
    edited November 2016
    Couldn't find Kooringal today. Buggered if I know where the track has gone. Did however find vehs queuing up to get bogged at the Bulwer wrecks. Three stuck in there as we passed. ROK just picked it's way through nicely. Another stuck at the Cowan bypass. In the space of the week we have been hete the tracks have become noticeably worse